I'm not convinced ...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by truthbtold, Apr 15, 2010.

1. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I've heard about 1000 times since yesterday that Brandon Marshall is the best reciever in the NFL. Let's take a look at his 2009 numbers against some other premier recievers ----

MARSHALL 101 REC / 1,120 YDS / 11.1 AVG / 10 TD'S

AUSTIN - 81 / 1,320 /16.3 / 11
    MOSS - 83 / 1,264 / 15.2 / 13
    RICE - 83 / 1,312 / 15.8 / 8
    JOHNSON - 101 / 1,569 / 15.5 / 9
    FITZGERALD - 97 / 1,092 / 11.3 / 13
    JACKSON - 68 / 1,167 / 17.2 / 9

Yes ... he's a VERY good reciever... and a huge upgrade over who they were lining up last year ... but I don't see any evidence to show that he's any better than other elite recievers in the league. He catches plenty of balls, but there are plenty of other guys who are just as productive, or even more productive with less catches.

#1 truthbtold, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

just to play devils advocate here, he was still able to but up those great numbers with kyle orton as his qb

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Just about to say, if he had an elite QB, he'd be right up there. Thank god he didn't go to NE

4. afternoondelight

hes done it for the past three years. over 100 catches...over 1100 yards

--i think it could be argued either way between fitzgerald, marshall, and johnsons as the top three receivers.

either way, getting a top three receiver is a big signing

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

With Cutler under center he'd have 16 TDs and 130 catches. probably around 1400 yards too.

marshall is a playmaker, hands down. He's not the best, but he's elite. that's enough for me to be concerned........ but wait, what's that? Revis Christ has risen, and will shut him down twice a year. Amen.

6. truthbtold

I'm not saying he can't play ... he's a great reciever. But they're paying him more than any reciever in the league. I'm just saying I'm not sure that he's actually better than alot of other guys. 11.1 per catch is actually a little anemic compared to what the other guys on the list are averaging.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's a physically dominating receiver at 6'4 230 pounds. He's not going to be a deep threat. But he can and has gotten deep on occasion. His YPC is irrelevant to what he brings to the football field and is a top 5 receiver.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

There's no denying Marshall is a beast. End of story

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The latest guy to get a contract is always the highest paid, so that's not really a fair complaint. As others (and you) have noted, he's far better than anyone they've had in a long time (or perhaps ever), and is quite possibly now the best receiver in the division (only Moss might be better).

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Just double team the guy, Miami doesn't have much else that is so scary that will go out for a pass...

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Brandon Marshall is right there with Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson.

Stop being biased because he's on the Dolphins now. Marshall is a hell of a player. It's just too bad we won't get to see him play against the Jets. Revis will make sure he's invisible.

12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Marshall is a big time talent, if we get the Moss of the last 2 years then he is the best WR in the division.

14. Nublar7

Nublar7 New Member

So the argument the OP is trying to make is that he is not the best receiver in the league. OK, I buy that, it is definitely an argument worth having. Fitz and Andre Johnson are incredible and deserve a lot of credit.

Still though as a Dolphins fan, I don't care if Marshall is the BEST in the league or "just" in the top three. At the end of the day he is an ELITE receiver and adds a huge dimension to the offense.

Are Fitz and Johnson better? Maybe. By much? No, not really. I am ecstatic to even have a player on the team that some people consider the best at his position. He is definitely without question the best receiver in the AFC East.

15. truthbtold

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

A thousand times since yesterday? I've never heard that, not once.

Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald will toss that title between each other until age or injury take their toll, kind of like TO and Randy Moss did for while.

And I'm not really sure how you can include Rice or Austin in the "elite" category. They're game-changing, clear-cut number 1's, but "elite" is a strong word.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is an elite receiver and he is 26. That is why a lot of people feel he is the best receiver in the league.

18. truthbtold

You're right ... ELITE might not be the correct word. I was just comparing his numbers to some other productive #1's in the league.

19. truthbtold

He is a great talent if he can stay on the field ... but with a gun to your head, would you bet YES or NO that he can actually stay out of trouble IN MIAMI BEACH for the entire season?

I would bet NO WAY ... but I have a feeling that one of us would be getting our brains spilled :)

20. electrolyte

electrolyte Member

1) Kyle Orton can't throw a deep ball. He's a noodle arm, like Penny.

2) McDaniels playbook consists of short yardage. Dink and dunk passing, usually off-target. Over half of Orton's completions are to Brandon Marshall. HALF OF ALL OF THEM!!

3) Marshall catches the short yardage, and runs after the catch for big gains. There is nobody better in the NFL at this than Marshall.

4) Marshall has continued his production, no matter who the QB has been.