Trading Up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Vorrecht, Apr 11, 2010.

1. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

At this point with Holmes, we might as well trade up

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Go Ditka, get Suh, smoke a cigar for the rest of the draft.:up:

[​IMG]

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

As much as I hate trading up.... Brandon Graham might be their guy. They would jump ahead of the Pats to take him.

Knowing Tanny, he just took off another need with Holmes. This shinks the Jets needs down to DL/OL/OLB. They may believe that they can get away with the trenches they have for one more year, and take the pass rushing stud to complete the defense... then get the trench help in the later rounds with a bunch of backups.

4. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

Why would we do that when we could get Suh at #2 overall instead? :smile:

5. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Agreed, with two exceptions. I'd move Hughes to the bottom of the list, and I'd move Dunlap down a couple spots.

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I had considered Dunlap a couple slots lower, but since right now I view OLB as our #1 concern for pass rush I just got lazy and didn't move him down since I don't expect him to be there in the second round lol.

Hughes I like, granted he's not elite speed but he has a good motor, his head stays in the game and hes a very hard worker...those things to me push him up abit over some higher physical tools guys. But to be honest I think the Patriots nab him, unless someone better falls to their spot, as he is a BB type of linebacker.

7. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

After the Holmes trade, I'd like Tanny to do whatever it takes (a 4th?) to get Odrick. He's the surest thing in the draft at 5-tech defensive end. Get it done Tanny!

If not, just go BPA until the draft's over.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If there was a dominant pass rusher, that would have been my first choice as I believe a pass rusher is our biggest need. Unfortunately, there is one worth trading up for. 5 technique guys are rare so you sometimes have to overdraft them so I would not oppose to trading up for Odrick. That said it must be within reason. I'd be pissed if we went all out like a 1st and 2nd.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

We couldn't get up to the #4 pick if we traded away our entire draft and Leon. We're far more than one DE away from the Super Bowl. Not worth it.

10. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

My thoughts as well.

11. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

I'm torn about trading up. On one side because we have filled a majority of our serious needs, we can go after a big time player to fill a need like safety. On the other side because we have filled so many needs via trades/FA, we can go fill a need within reason with our 1st and go BPA the rest of the way to improve the overall quality depth on the team in case of injury.

Because we have so many players to sign I think I would rather strengthen our depth. The only way I'd trade up is if Earl Thomas fell in the low 20s.

12. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I have watched tape on Odrick and I can't see from the footage of what all the hype is about..I was way more impressed with the Alualu from Cal than I was with him..it might be a bad sample but from what I see I wouldn't trade up for him.. Brandon Graham or Earl Thomas look to be two guys that would be worth it... I would go nuts if we landed either one and can still grab Alualu in the second round..

13. jgangstahippie7:18

You trade for the #1 pick to piss off Bradford and Clausen

14. 1968jetsfan

Personally, if Leon hasn't signed by the deadline I'd deal him for a second or third rounder. and if we land Sergio or Hughes in round 1 I'd probably be willing to trade Bryan Thomas for a 3rd or 4th rounder as well on draft day....pretty sure we could probably get atleast a 4th for Bryan.

15. 1968jetsfan

Okay my 2010 draft, jets only.(with trade thoughts where avail). Now normally I stay pretty down to earth on trades, but if I'm going to go with a pretty much my version of a dream draft I'll include some fanciful (but hopefully somewhat realistic) trades.

round 1. If Sergio Kendall is off the boards at 29 trade down with Kansas City. Word around town (yes I live in Kansas City) is the Chiefs would like to land Gresham or Tate, neither is real likely to be avail when the Chiefs pick in round 2.

Jets trade their 1st(29), 6th and 7th to Kansas city for the Chiefs 2nd(4), 4th(4) and 5th(13). Jets slot value traded 660.8 Chiefs value traded 675. If Gresham is on the boards I think the Chiefs give up the 14.2 points of value (they have 3 5th round picks). If it's only Tate on the board then the trade is probably the Jets 1st for the Chiefs 2nd (4) and 4th(4) in which case the jets are giving up 640 points of value and the chiefs give up 640 points of value the Chiefs pick again in the second at 18 so they still maintain a second round pick either way. In thinking about this, if Gresham is still on the board at 29, even if Kendall is still available I might go ahead and trade down with the chiefs anyways to gain the 5th round pick. I don't mind losing the 6th and 7th picks to gain a 5th.

So after that trade the Jets now have 2 2nds (4,29) 2 4ths(4,29), 1 5th(13), same number of picks but in my view when get down to the 6th and 7th rounds might as well just sign UFA's after the draft...I know not everyone thinks that way.

Now I'm going to assume that Leon doesn't sign his tender and continues to be an unhappy camper, solution Jets trade Leon. Don't get me wrong I like Leon, big fan of his but it's also a business. I see 3 potential trade partners here, I'm going with the Browns here as Leon is an established RB, 3rd round 7th pick

Now assuming the Jets sign Taylor, Or draft hughes in the early second, the Jets trade Bryan Thomas to the Eagles for the ealts first 4th(7) (a comprimise couldn't decide if he was a worth a third or a 4th so took a high 4th).

Okay, so Now we sit with 2 2nds(4,29), 1 3rd(7), 3 4ths(4,7,29), and a 5th(13), net result we gain a total of two picks, trade down our first and trade up our 6th and 7ths.

So three draft scenarios, one assuming we don't sign Taylor, one assuming we do sign Taylor.
    and one assumiing we don't sign taylor but Sergio is on the boards at #29 (in which case we lose a 2nd, a 4th, and a 5th, but keep our 6th and 7th.
    2(4) Draft OLB Hughes (if kindle is on board this is Kindle)
    2(29) DT Terrence Cody
    3(7) DE Corey Wootton
    4th round 3 picks plus 5th round 1 pick. I'm going to cheat abit here, A) I have no idea who will be available, and B) I'm a horrible judge of offensive linemen). With the three picks I'll name one and just name BPA hopefully one on the O-Line and one at RB. the one I'll name is Darrell Stuckey (strong safety). But should be able to get good value at RB here and some good O-Line depth. with the 5th round pick more O-Line Depth. Obviously if we don't trade with the chiefs we lost one 4th and the 5th, in that case I'd do RB and Stuckey in the 4th and O-line depth in the 6th and 7th.

Now if we trade for Taylor. That changes the draft quite abit actually. and I havent thought this through very well, as evidenced by my 2nd second round cop out.

2(4) Odrick if he's available we don't do the chiefs trade. If oderick is not avail we do teh trade then Terrence Codey.
    2(29) OL or RB.
    3(7) Wootton
    4th round same cheat, Stuckey plus either 2 OL or 1 OL and 1 RB dedpending on what was taken at #2(29)
    5th round punter or kicker.

Or of course after obtaining all those picks we could just turn around and do a tannenbaum and trade up through the nose :D

(edit)This is the ONLY wild speculation post I will make.

#35 1968jetsfan, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Good.

(filler)

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

BURN!

filler

18. 1968jetsfan