Santonio Holmes a Jet - For a 5th Round Pick!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Catfish Billy, Apr 11, 2010.

1. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

A good one from Steelers message board.

black&gold medic
    My head is going to explode!! This is pathetic and is horrible news. How can u give away a player if that caliber? Problems or not, a fifth round pick is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard!! You have teams that are planning on spending a first round pick on unproven recievers (ie Dez Bryant) and they give him away for a 5th?? Someone please tell me this is a horrible cruel joke. The jets should be charged with theft! The pittsburgh front office has got be be looking like the laughing stock of the league!! Since when did the management of the pirates make personel decsions for the steelers??

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Steelers were literally about to cut Holmes.

I guess they figured they wanted something instead of nothing.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I can't articulate how much I love this trade.

Is it August yet?

edit: is it next Thursday yet? Then is it August yet?

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i am so glad training camp is in cortland, just 90 miles away. it's going to be fun the next 3 years at least! now, sign garcia as the backup, not brunell!

5. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've thankfully come a long way from "Mangini Guys."

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

And you guys thought "Hard Knocks" was going to be boring....:rolleyes:

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It's because we have a core of "Mangini Guys" that we're able to take a risk on some of these players with baggage.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Braylon, Santonio, Jerricho. Outrageous, Egregious, Preposterous.

9. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

The trade was worth it if we just kept him off of the Fins and Pats, which were his more likely destinations if he became a FA.

10. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Fuck Jeff Garcia sign his wife to the cheer leading squad!!! How the fuck did this ugly freak get a girl this hot? She can get plenty of rich guys. Must have a good personality huh Jeff or hung like a horse.

[​IMG]

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Honestly as I've had a day to process it the more and more I like it. It's a great deal for Santonio as it is for us. Where he gets the W is A) it's a contract year B) he certainly is going to get noticed C) He is going to have an oppurtunity to play on a very good team and have a shot at ring #2.

I love the rent a player move by us and he makes us very dangerous on offense, as long as Sanchize can stay out of trouble which I believe he will this team is going to be very tough to beat between our RZ options and the hell teams are going to see when they are on O.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

By trading the pick, the Jets ensured they would not be locked in a bidding war for Holmes' services.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah above is the Jet angle, I didn't meantion...

15. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Not only that but trading for him guarantees we keep him on a 1 season trial instead of gambling a 4+ year contract for someone who may not work out(I think he will). Signing him long term raises the risks significantly. Not only the scenario were it doesn't work out but due to the contract it would require to retain him, we may lose one or even 2 of our current players who may be more important to the team in the 2011 off season. Definitely worth giving up the 5th rd pick to have complete leverage of the situation.

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The best part is that if he walks after this year we'll likely get a higher draft pick then the one we traded for him.

17. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

What has not been brought up is that now with the receiver core and cornerbacks we have practice is going to at a very high level and it can only help these guys stay at the top of their games.

Revis gets to cover Braylon and Antonio covers Santonio thats sick! All will benefit from that competition.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

My buddy Revis and I were tweeting about that-

lol

19. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I don't know about you guys but his production is only getting better..without any off the field issues I hope we sign him to a longer deal after this deal.. what a sick move for us the more I think about it... no one in the world saw this coming. the Braylon, Jerico and Holmes are all different types of WRs, good at different things.that what I love about it.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd actually guess that it's the opposite. Revis' skillset is more suited to cover a speedy route runner like Holmes, while Cromartie has the freakish physical ability that Edwards does, to break up those circus catches. Although I would imagine that they'll switch up a lot.

But I would also guess that Revis will spend more time in camp and practice covering Cotchery, who runs better routes and has far better concentration than both Holmes and Edwards.

Not saying you're doing it, but it's amazing how many people are forgetting the playmaking ability and heart and concentration that Cotchery has since the Holmes trade. Cotch is a starter. If Holmes supplants anyone on the depth chart, my guess would be that it's Braylon Edwards.