Would Rex Ryan ever cower in fear?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cakes, Apr 3, 2010.

?

Would Rex Ryan ever cower in fear?

1. He would not do that

96.0%
  2. Yes, I believe he would soil himself Belichick-style

4.0%
  1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Do you think Rex Ryan would ever purposefully have the Jets lose a regular season game to avoid playing a certain team in the postseason?

Example- The Jets are 10-5 and have locked up either the 3 or 4 seed for the AFC playoffs. If they lose their final game, they will be the 4 seed. If they win their final game, they will get the 3 seed.
    Let's say that, to some people, the 6 seed team seems a little stronger than the 5 seed team.
    Do you think it would be possible that Ryan would purposefully have the Jets lose their final regular season game to assure the 4 seed and avoidance of the 6 seed team at least for the Wild Card and Divisional rounds?

Personally, I don't think Ryan is that much of a wimp. I don't think he'd fear a Wild Card team if the Jets had already clinched a division title. Well, a healthy, professional level of fear and respect could be there. But the type of fear where one soils himself and has his team purposefully lose a regular season finale to avoid playing a Wild Card team in one's own home stadium? Nah, I don't think Rex Ryan would ever have that type of fear. Belichick did, though, if you listen to Patriots fans.

I ask the question because there are apparently many Patriots fans who think Bill Belichick had the Patriots purposefully lose a Week 17 game in 2005 so that the team would avoid playing 6th-seeded Pittsburgh in the Wild Card playoffs.

There are Patriots fans who feel Belichick was a genius for throwing a Week 17 game to avoid the 6 seed in the playoffs.

What?!!!?

Losing a game on purpose to avoid another team and in a game that would be played in your home stadium? Are you kidding me?

That's not genius. That's fear and lack of faith in your coaching abilities and lack of faith in your own players.

What these Patriots fans do not understand is that by backing this crazy idea they are essentially saying that Belichick is not a mastermind genius.

You see, if Belichick was truly a mastermind genius he would not have backed down from a Pittsburgh at New England Wild Card matchup in January 2006. The Patriots were coming off back-to-back Super Bowl championships, but apparently Belichick had no faith in himself, his assistant coaches, or his players.

Do you think legendary head coaches such as Weeb Ewbank, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Don Shula, George Halas, Greasy Neale, Hank Stram, and Tom Landry ever backed down from a challenge on the football field? I don't think so.

Well, you know what? Belichick has backed down. He has had feces run down his legs over the thought of facing a 6 seed in the playoffs. Patriots fans know this. As a result, Patriots fans absolutely cannot rank Belichick among the all-time great head coaches.

2. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Hell Fuck no would Rex ever "cower" to any team he faces. If he was going up against the Steel Curtain in their prime he'd still go in guns blazing with fire and tenacity in his and the entire teams eyes.

3. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

NO!.. REX KNOWS NO FEAR!..

but in this ridiculous situation.. having a stronger 6th seed and having a better chance at winning against the 5th seed might be an argument on why he would sit starters..

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I hate the guy too, but tell me, how many rings does this douche have?

Belichick's one of the best coaches of all-time. His Patriot teams are consistent playoff contenders, even with Tom Brady on the IR.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

In the scenario I gave, Ryan and the Jets were locked into playing in the Wild Card round as a division winner. Whether they were the 3 or 4 seed would be determined by their regular season finale.

In that circumstance, I doubt that Ryan would go all out to win the game. He likely would rest key players. Many of them maybe would not see second half action. Ryan would maybe think, "If we win, nice. If we lose, no big deal." It always looked to me that coaches and teams in these situations (locked into either a 3 or 4 seed) would not go all out to get the 3 seed. There is a big difference between 2 and 3, but not 3 and 4.

But the idea, in the hypothetical scenario provided, that Ryan would secretly fear the 6 seed and purposefully would have the Jets lose is really too much for me to take. I think it would ludicrous. One would have to be a true wimp to fear another team in such a way.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If you read the other thread, I was the one defending Belichick. The Patriots fans were the ones (inadvertently) disrespecting the man.

addendum- I actually do not think Belichick soiled himself in Week 17 of the 2005 season. There is a level of sarcasm here and it is directed at Patriots fans- the ones who troll here and others who lurk as guests.

#7 Cakes, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Well getting the # 3 seed over the # 4 seed isnt really a good example. Since it actually gives you a reason to play (having home field advantage in a potential AFC Championship is kind of a big deal imo)

I think a better example would be having us locked into say the # 3 seed. Then having us play a a matchup that would determine two teams making the playoffs. IE win and New England is in, or lose on purpose and have one of those barely make the playoff teams in

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

He cried once in a team meeting and it made the appointed Child feel uncomfortable, but 2pac was a crier and he had thug life tattooed on his chest. So six in one hand half dozen in the other.

I don’t think Rex would ever cower in fear.

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Where is the I like beer option?

11. IATA

IATA Trolls

In a Cakes thread, it would probly be, "I Like Wine Coolers"

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

First off, the thread that had Pats fans saying Belichik lost on purpose was from another site, and imported here by a Jets poster. No Pats fans that post on here ever said he went into any game with the idea of losing.

What was said (and I was one) is that when it came to the two point conversion in the final minute that would have created ovetime, it appeared that very little or no effort was made to convert. The reason being that exposing his team to a meaningless OT was the last thing thing he'd want to do.

And yes, I could see Ryan doing the same thing....

13. jetjunkie

jetjunkie New Member

Still waiting for him to drop Channing Crowder on his butt

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

This....

and [/thread]

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This poll needs a "someone has wwwwaaaaayyy too much time on his hands" option.

17. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I'd rather read this type of stuff than. OMG trade for Brandon Marshall!

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

That's like asking whether you would rather have your pubes pulled out by tweezers, or have a prostate exam done by Edward Scissorhands.

19. HarveyTheJetFan

HarveyTheJetFan New Member

Rex is the next Chuck Norris

Boogey man looks under his bed for rex at night.

20. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Haha I guess it kinda is. And to answer the question fear cowers from Rex.