Leon Washington a no show at first day of voluntary OTA's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

JOHNNY ENGLISH KNOWS MORE ABOUT FOOTBALL THAN YOU, IN ANY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT FOOTBALL HIS ANSWER IS AUTOMATICALLY THE CORRECT ANSWER.

ALSO, HE'S HUNG LIKE KING KONG.

Wow, you're right. It really works.

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

My puny text means I don't know shit about football.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

That's not a silly question, but I'm still not going to answer it.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well I think they need to sign the tender at a certain date before the draft or else they're not eligible to play in the season...and then if they do trade him they need his permission (I think that was the case with Elam last year in the Sanchez deal)

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm pretty sure I read in the CBA that RFA's have until the 10th week of the regular season to sign a RFA tender, or they don't play football that season at all, I'll try to find it.

Okay, here is the text from the CBA:

Taken from CBA Article XIX, Veteran Free Agency

Definition of 'Prior Year Salary' in reference to 'Paragraph 5 Salary':

From what I got from that and other websites, if Leon doesn't sign his tender by June 15, then the Jets have the right to reduce his salary to 110% of his Prior Year Salary (2009).

That would most undoubtedly be significantly less than the $1.759mil that he'd be set to make by signing the 2nd round tender before June 15. So while he doesn't need to sign the tender, it's in his best interest at that point.

-----------

Not totally sure about the trade question, but I know that the Patriots traded for Welker while he had the second round tender, although it was before the mid-April deadline that prospective 'New Teams' have to draw up an offer sheet.

#125 abyzmul, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Leon will wise up soon enough and sign his tender. No one is going to offer a #2 for a RB coming off such a serious leg injury. And even if they did, I would hope the jets would match any offer. It's amazing how quickly we forget how valuable leon was to this team. He was the team mvp not too long ago, and at one time our only playmaker on offense. When was the last time we a screen pass go for a huge gain? Enough said.

7. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

It doesn't make since to make a huge offer to a player that is coming off injury. People forgot about TJ just as quickly it's the nature of the sport.

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Is there a dumber agent than Alvin Keels ?

9. ........

........ Trolls

Which is why he'll sign by June 15th. Keels knows he essentially has until the April 15th offer sheet deadline to prove that there's a market for Leon until all of the cards drop into the Jets' lap. That's less than a month from now. Leon loses ALL leverage at that point, and his trade value diminishes as teams look at the way his agent has attempted to inflate his worth.

We could trade Leon on draft day, but we're going to likely get terrible value if we try. Someone would have to be convinced that they could sign Leon to a long term contract, since they're only trading for a 1 year back, and they'd have to know that Keels is going to try to squeeze every extra unwarranted dollar out of Leon's new team. It's not a recipe for success in the trade department.

At this point, it's looking very likely that Leon will be in Green and White this season and will be playing his ass off for a new contract elsewhere (unless no CBA is reached) in 2011. If Greene and LT limit his touches significantly, he's going to seriously wish he had taken the offer last year...that is, if he doesn't already.

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Are you kidding ? IF ??????????????????????

Leon may be a nice guy, but for some reason, Keels has him kissing his you-know-what. TKeels is a complete dunce. He held out for the last 10% and lost it all. It's like someone who has made a killing in the stock market or in Vegas and instead of banking most of it, let's it all ride and loses all of it.

Keels is now in damage control mode: if he somehow pulls a Scott Boras and finds a sucker, er, GM to pay his client stupid money, he salvages his reputation. If not, then his rep as an agent gets bleeped.

Oh yeah, LW gets bleeped too, but he doesn't care about that as evidenced from last year.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

So you dont think any team will want Leon over 2nd round draft pick.
    But think you think we should take Leon instead of a 2nd round draft pick ?

If its stupid for other teams to prefer him why the hell should we.

Time to move on

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Jesus, what the hell has happened to sport?

What was wrong with "We'd like you to play for us and here's a hundred thousand dollars if you will."

"I like the sound of that."

"Then here is your hundred thousand dollars."

"Thanks, what time should I get here on Sunday?"

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Elam was different because we were trading him to a team that had signed him to an offer sheet which we then matched.

14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Chauncey Washington could be used as a "pounder"....run him early and often to soften up the defense and take some of the burden off LT and Greene, or run him late in a game you are dominating to soak up clock without exposing LT and Greene. He is perfectly capable of filling such a role. I'm betting we pick up a runner in the draft as well.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

According to Tanny, Chauncey won't get a look in.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I wasn't talking about the money. I agree. I think Leon/Keels asking for starting RB monies is crazy, especially coming off a huge injury. I was referring to all this talk about Leon being overrated in the roles he's been given. That's just complete nonsense.

17. iTzPoPPaBeaR

iTzPoPPaBeaR Member

yep fuck him

18. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Alvin Keels is the worst.. After such a serious leg injury no one is going to pay LWashington starter money. After such a grisly looking injury he is a question mark with high upside. He is high-risk, potentially high-reward which is the reason that no one is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him and tendering him is the right move. I do not know what he hopes to gain by skipping voluntary workouts, he's going to end up in the doghouse. We just added a future HoF in the backfield and this guy responds after coming off a serious injury by skipping workouts. Ever since the whole Andre Smith incident last year, I think that teams are wary of dealing with Keels.. The Bengals paid alot of money for someone who came into camp severely overweight and not ready to play.

19. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Folks,
    my apoligies for the bold text, but at this stage in my life my eyes are not what they once were. When I type I use the bold larger fonts to enable me to see clearly, even with my glasses it helps me and allows me to strain less when I type. I would normally have returned it back to forum type after proof reading and posting....

To the smart asses who feel like I do this because it makes me seem more important or like I know more then you, well after 40 years of following this team, I probably do ,,,,,,

20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Very well said.