Leon Washington a no show at first day of voluntary OTA's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 22, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Do tell?..

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this guy agrees

[​IMG]

3. abyzmul

Did I forget to mention that I want to get Schotty into a rubber suit and cover him with Crisco?

4. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

My 2 Cents,

Leon is between a rock and a hard place and the only one to blame for his current situation is clearly his agent Alvin Keels. It amazes me that others in his council are not advising him, that not taking the offer last year was a serious error in judgement on his agent part. Thus revealing that the representation he chose is not qualified to look out for his best interest. Now with these stupid text messages to anyone who will listen, about other teams interest in LW, he does more disservice to his client. He continues to try and call the Jets hand with these bluffs, with no leverage what so ever. I hope some one around LW can open his eyes to the poor job this man has done for him and the continuing harm he is doing to his financial future.

LW has done an amazing job for the Jets and considering he was a fourth round pick the Jets got a steal. The Jets tried to pay for that past service with a very fair contract last year and stupidly got in the way. For anyone who thinks the Jets are mistreating LW just look at the upcoming contracts for the likes of Mangold and Brick. The Jets in the pay department are quite fair and pay fair value for services rendered. They will not over pay a player who as in LW case has a very limited role within the team

It should be clear to all, that with the last statement by Rex, that LW role will be reduced. An like Rex and Shotty do with every player, he will given certain plays that will allow him to shine. There is no doubt that this will be a more effective team with LW on the roster. With him in the game his must be accounted for by the defense. Yet, it really is getting to the point where the bridges are on fire and the point of no return is approaching..It should be clear to AK if not to LW, that signing LT changed the dynamics of the situation and made LW expendable.

One has to wonder if this tit for tat of words by AK will grow old to the Jets and they become the ones who decide to part ways with LW. Maybe the Jets do just what they did with Sherry, and trade him for less then a second. Getting a third for LW to be rid of AK might be half way tempting, then he could go get that 30 million contract from that other team next year or sell his client elsewhere after the next season.

One thing is for certain, a few years from now if not sooner, LW will realize that AK like Don King screwed him royal, by not letting him sign the original offer that was made by the Jets. That was his payday and his agent blew it big time and LW is the one who will pay the heavy price for this major mistake.

So Leon, if you are reading this, this is the advice I would give you, from a poor working smuck, who will never earn in my life time, what you will in one season. First thing first, fire that asshole of an agent you have, that alone will make you a couple of million. Second, you could look out for your interest better then anyone. As such take your ass to over to Tanny's office and tell him you what to get this thing done and are looking for a fair offer. What is a fair offer, sorry to say my friend ,you are damaged goods and now must reassess your value.

You will now be a role player, anywhere you go this is what you will be, so you must be the best role player in the game and as such paid on that level. So I would ask Mike to do a four year deal at 3.5 million a year ,with 6 million guarantee as your opening bid. Then this is what I would settle for, 2.5 million over four years with an option for a fifth at 3 million and of the 10, 5 million of that would be guarantee money. On top of that I would add a clause that would allow that 2.5 to go to 3 million a year, if a certain amount of RB carries were needed on your part. This way if there were injuries to the first or second RB, you would have a way to be paid for the extra work.....

So there you go young, man be your own damn agent save a ton of dough on agent fees secure you future and know you have a sure 5 million in the bank. You remember when you didn't have a pot to piss in don't you. So 5 million spent and saved wisely should take care of you and you family for a lifetime. Stay healthy and spent smartly and you should be able to leave the game with more like 7 million in the bank.....

5. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

LW is worth 1-1.5 million/year at this point....with LT on board.....similiar team role as brad smith... IMO

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

o.k here's the problem with your advice. the jets do not have to negotiate anything.leon has two options rite now.he can either sign his tender and play for the jets at 1.7 million or get signed to an offer sheet by another team.in 3 weeks he will again have 2 choices if no offer from another team is made.he can either sign his tender or sit out the year.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the fact that no team is jumping at the chance to sign him only further weakens Washington's position and will only cost him more money. real shame, he could have gotten a nice deal last season, too, and now he will probably never see that money.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That's his choice. If he'd hired a real agent he'd have a long-term deal and a lifetime of financial security right now.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I just think it is a shame he made that choice. it isn't as if he is an unlikable player and I would enjoy seeing him foul up his financial future. I don't mind seeing people profit and succeed, and Leon was in a position to do so and screwed it up. that's a shame.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I hope everyone who is screaming for leon to shut up and play realizes that Mangold and Revis are monitoring this situation closely. Think they will hit the field when it is their time to reup or hold out like Leon should have.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You do not understand the situation at all.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Explain it to me.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

^ read the thread.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...because I trust a healthy player that got the job done in 2009 over a player that is coming off of a serious injury and may never return to form?

I just did a little bit of research.

In 2009, Brad Smith had a kickoff return average of 31 yards (10 returns). Leon Washington had an average of 24 yards (18 returns).

I think the removal of the wedge really changed the way Westhoff has to scheme.

Brad Smith is one of the best option runners in the history of college football. You can't coach the kind of vision that he has. Leon Washington is definitely faster and more explosive, but in the right scheme, Brad Smith can be very productive.

#114 Mr Electric, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That was more like a buck fifty.

16. abyzmul

Leon was also returning kicks at the beginning of the season, when Westhoff was still adjusting his schemes to the removal of the wedge formation. Brad Smith had the benefit of almost a half a season of scheme adjustments - I'm not surprised that his average was better. He also had that long return against the Colts that affected his average, although it was pretty much a straight ahead run.

But 'm not arguing that Smith can't be productive, even as a KR - he already has, when used correctly. He just doesn't look as fluid to me as Leon when he's running back KO's. Could he replace Leon is LW went to another team? Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if Westhoff lobbied for them to draft a small speedster to run kickoffs back in that event.

Smith was taking over in a pinch when Leon went down, not so sure he's the guy Westy wants as a full timer. If he got hurt returning a kickoff, they would lose their KR AND their top gunner.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Did you have to bold the whole thing? I felt like someone was yelling at me.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The schemes were set before the season started.

I agree that Brad Smith had the advantage of playing later in the season after some adjustments were made.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Bolding subliminally adds credibility in the minds of some.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Silly question- if nobody picks up the 2nd round tender, is there anything that would prohibit the Jets from dumping him for a 3rd on draft day?