Leon Washington a no show at first day of voluntary OTA's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Mar 22, 2010.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that's quite a few zeroes.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wait till you see his extension

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't think people hate him, I think it's just a matter of understanding the situation and realizing that it may be best for the Jets to get a draft pick for him at this point rather than continue to hassle with his r'tard agent and end up with nothing next year when Leon becomes an UFA.

4. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I can't blame the guy for trying to probe for interest to get his client (and himself) the most money possible. I'm also sure he is well aware that this has blown up in his face once already. The Jets are in a great position in this situation, but the only thing Leon has to lose in holding out a little while is if its revealed he is not healed or he has a setback in his rehab. Short of injury/setback, he knows he's got a place to play at least this year with the Jets worst case.

#24 bojanglesman, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

No one is pissed off because of his broken leg. The reason people on this board are pissed off at Leon is that he is demanding way too much money with his contract, to the point of being unreasonable. He is handling this situation like an idiot.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm not worried. Tanny is not going to let a guy like Alvin Keels screw him.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

It's obvious he's sick of the Jets. First the Jets don't want to pay him, then he gets hurt and they low ball him. The Jets haven't exactly done right by the guy. Plus he sees how wonderfully they just treated Thomas Jones.

8. CatoTheElder

From Alvin Keels via the Jets Twitter Thread:
    So it looks like:
    1. He's still not healthy enough to work out despite Keels' claims to the contrary
    2. It will be 10-14 days before he can actually work out for a team and maybe pass a physical. Until then we have a lot of talking to do about a disgruntled 3rd down HB.

9. bojanglesman

Nice teams finish last. Its a business. If it were all fair, rookies wouldn't be signing for more than guys that have proven themselves in the NFL. See Vernon Gholston.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Your understanding of the situation is much different than mine.

The Jets tried to pay him a fair price last year but his agent demanded top 5 running back money because Sproles who is a similar player was franchised. You understand that it's silly for Keels to demand top 5 RB money for Leon, right?

Now the Jets are trying to show his agent that his market value isn't anywhere near what he perceives it to be by putting the 2nd round tender on him and allowing teams to sniff around and make offers.

11. bojanglesman

Agreed. The Jets are basically telling his agent to back up all of his shit-talking. He will be proven to be full of shit indeed. Either the Jets get him relatively cheap this year, they get a 2nd rounder, or someone else overpays him. I hope for his sake someone else overpays. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him back this year, but I wouldn't cry a river if he left and we picked up a RB in the draft.

12. Phear

Phear New Member

I really do not understand how some people still can not grasp this. I really hope we can get a second rounder for him.

13. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Keels should just go fuckin talk to Oakland already. He's had huge success raping that franchise for money.

14. CatoTheElder

The only team that I really don't want to see him go to is the Patriots. If he can come back to his full strength, that team has the perfect system for him to do some damage. Spread offense, smaller defenders on the field good OLine, he has every tool around him to be a danger to carry the ball out of the backfield.

15. bojanglesman

I don't think the Pats will sign him for a few reasons. I doubt they'll pay him what he wants, especially without being recovered fully. Plus I think resigning Faulk made it less likely they sign Washington.
    I agree he would have fit in well there. And they could pony up a second rounder without blinking since they have about a million of them.

16. CatoTheElder

I doubt any team is going to pay him what he wants at this point.

17. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

people need to chill out and stop making dumb threads. leon has been showing up to the facility rehabbing his leg since his injury, running on the underwater treadmill. this has been reported numerous times. i don't blame him that he's not working out with the team during voluntary workouts..... he is recovering from a very serious injury

18. duncc5

duncc5 Member

A team to keep an eye on with the whole Leon situation could be the Seahawks. With two first round picks, and a lot of needs (running back being one of them), I wouldn't be surprised to see them willing to give up their second rounder (which is low, swapping with San Diego) in exchange for Leon. Pete Carroll will probably want to get some athletes for his offense, and right now T.J. Houshmandzadeh is all he has, and he'll be 33 next season. Grabbing Dez Bryant in the first round, combined with the addition of Leon, could put the Hawks back into contention in the West... especially if they get a solid defensive player with their other 1st rounder. The Jets would then have two second rounders in a deep draft, leaving the option of picking the best overall impact player #29.

19. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I still can't get over the fact that Keels likely posted on this board and, when his contract demands and negotiation tactics were questioned, he played the race card! What kind of agent starts arguing with fans on a message board?

20. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

I love LW hes a good guy but at the same time he must understand that the NFL, first and foremost, is a business. Its not like we are the Pats who don't want to pay there players. We do pay them but Tanny rarely overpays his players and thats what Leon is asking us to do. Hopefully he isn't missing OTAs due to his contract situation. If he is he has to look at himself in the mirror and be honest with himself.

He's 28 years old coming off a serious injury. He hired a jerk off for an agent that promised him the world. He gambled and lost. Now hes got a hand with pocket 7 deuce going up against Tannys aces. He has to fold and accept what we give him. Otherwise play out the year with your 5 touches a game and test the market when your 29 years old and see how "close" you come to your $6M a year dream. Sorry Leon you should of took that $4.5M a year contract when you had the chance. Now your the 3rd string injured RB behind our starter for the next 3-5 and a first ballot HOFer.

It is what it is. Hopefully he gets $2.5-3M a year from someone so he gets paid just because I appreciate what hes done for us and more importantly we get our 2nd rd pick.