Jets, Giants resolve turf battle over their new turf

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/3631-host-of-stadium-s-opener-we-ll-flip-you-for-it

As Randy Lange states: the Jets lost the "secret" coin toss that neither team witnessed.

Goodell is a dunce. He really is.

Would have been interesting to see a Jets/Giants coin toss in the middle of the "New Meadowlands Stadium". Put a referee and reps from both sides. After whe winner is announced they get to state on the spot what their intentions are in regards to the home opener.

But Goodell screwed up.

2. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

i just returned from the future in the flying DeLorean with Doc and Einstein
    [​IMG]

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It amazes me how we have Jet fans that can root for the Giants, the quote below from the Giantsb PR stooge is just another example why I despise those guys:

It's that attitude, as if the Giants are the Yankees of the NFL. They have 3 titles, only 2 more than us and last I checked they embarrassed themselves w/ the closing of the old building while we made it to the Championship game.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think we should just refer to it as Jets Stadium. Get the team to do the same in all official releases, etc. Just ignore them.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You should start a separate thread on that....

oops, too late.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

They actually have 7 NFL Championships (1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990 and 2007)

7. nyjunc

3 SB titles and 6 NFL Championships total. In 1927 they didn't even have a postseason. That's a sham championship.

They are more known for losing in championship games(pre-SB) than winning. They went 3-11 in NFL Championship Games from 1933-1963 and they have 3 SB titles. In those pre-SB years they had to beat out only 4-6 teams to make the title game so it was just a bti easier than making it to a SB in the modern era.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Ha! I think I've started about 3 threads in almost 6,000 posts (that count). It's a risky business.

9. Murrell2878

They won the league Championship in 1927 as well.

Only 3 teams have more Super Bowl wins than they do.

The talent wasn't as spread out as it is today when they won in the pre SB days so all of the teams were comparable. It wasn't "easy" to win the Championship in those days.

Their history isn't nearly as inept as you were making it out to be. Hell, since Parcells "rescued" our Jets the Giants made it to the Super Bowl TWICE!

10. nyjunc

They had to beat out 4-6 teams to make the championship game, it was alot easier.

In 1927 they didn't have a postseason and they beat teams like the:

Cleveland Bulldogs
    Providence Steam Rollers
    New York Yankees
    Frankford Yellow Jackets
    Pottsville Maroons
    Dayton Triangles
    Duluth Eskimos
    Buffalo Bisons

In 2000 they were possibly the worst SB team ever(competing w/ SD '94), they took advantage of an awful conference. Our teams in '98, 00, '01, '02, '04 and '09 were better than that Giant team.

In 2007 they got hot at the right time again in a weaker conference. if we had been playing in the NFC from about '98-'08 we'd have 3-4 SB apps.

The Giants are tied w/ 4 other teams w/ 3 SB wins. Again, they act like they are the Yankees of the NFL and we are the Mets. We might be the Mets but they certainnly are not the yanks- they aren't even in the discussion for best franchise of all time. They are known for losing NFL title games.

11. 17a_tailgater

12. 17a_tailgater

13. Murrell2878

Frankford and Pottsville were dominant teams in those days and had won the Championship the previous two seasons (Pottsville lost their 1925 championship due to a league rule regarding playing games in another teams’ territory). The Cleveland Bulldogs and Providence Steam Roller both had good seasons in 1927. The Cleveland Bulldogs were previously the Canton Bulldogs - the leagues first dynasty.

The worst team to ever make the Super Bowl was the 1985 Patriots. That Giants team had a good defense and a decent offense. If they went up against the Raiders instead of the Ravens they may have won that Super Bowl. The Ravens were a very good team.

You think our 2000 9-7 team that choked away a chance to go to the playoffs was better than their 12-4 Super Bowl team?

We got hot at the right time this year and still didn't make the Super Bowl. What difference does it make that they played in a "weaker" conference? We finished under .500 against NFC teams during the seasons you say we would have made “3-4 SB appearances” if we were in the NFC; including 3 losses to the Giants. Can you be more specific about which seasons we would have made the SB if we were in the NFC?

I’m not saying they are the Yankees of the NFL either, but they have won a lot more than we have. There are only 3 teams with more Super Bowl championships than they have. I’m giving you the reality. I don’t like this stadium situation either and I hate when people refer to the Stadium as the “New Giants Stadium” but let’s face the facts. The Giants have had more success than we have.

14. nyjunc

It was the 3rd year of pro football, please spare me about dynasties.

The 1985 Pats were much better than the 2000 Giants. At least the Pats beat good teams along the way to the Super Bowl, they just ran into probably the best team of all tiem in the SB era. The Giants were huniliated by a Wild Card team in the SB and if not for a KR would have been shut out.

Yes, our 2000 team if it had the benefit of the creampuff sched the Giants had and the creampuff conference could have made the SB that year. When Fassell made his "bold guarantee" they had Ari, wash, Pitt, Dal and jax remaining on the sched- not a single playoff bound team. That Giant team wouldn't have made the playoffs in the AFC that year.

We ran into Indy, they ran into GB. Favre gave the giants the title game and Peyton played like he normally doesn't in postseason against us.

The Giants history is about losing Championship games. Do they have a better history than us? not many teams do not but they are not an elite franchise though they like to pretend they are. This is a franchsie that went almost 20 years w/o making the playoffs until the Jets knocked off GB in 1982 to get them in.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Hey, Woody Johnson and company should stop bitching. Want to open your stadium? Then you should have built your own in New York. Instead you wimped out and once again put yourself in the Giants' shadow. You got what you deserved.

16. Murrell2878

3rd year of Pro Football? Pro Football dates back to the late 1800’s. They were the Champions of the NFL in years 3 and 4 of the league and are widely considered the League’s first dynasty. Your attitude is laughable on this is subject. Relax a little and read up on the early days of our league before commenting.

The 1985 Pats team was not better than the 2000 Giants team. The Steelers were a 9-7 tough team in 2000. The Jaguars were 5-2 in their last 7 games prior to the Giants game. The Redskins were 7-5 and fighting for a playoff spot when they played the Giants. The only reason why the Pats went to the Super Bowl is because Marino and the Dolphins choked the AFC Championship Game away.

They ran into Green Bay on the road in tremendous conditions and won the game. Give them some credit.

The Giants have won 6 of Championship Games including 3 Super Bowls (only 3 teams have more). The Giants have been to 4 Super Bowls since we went to our only one.

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What's with all the Giants hate?

Anyone who says they're not a staple franchise in the NFL clearly don't know football. They're one of the original teams, and have been involved in a ton of memorable games, as well as fielded loads of memorable players over the years.

Don't be foolish.

18. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I agree they are a historic orginization but do you think it is fair that goodall gave them the first game in the stadium behind closed doors? I mean none of their history should have come into play at all, it should have been transparent for all parties to see.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I don't agree with the way Goddell handled this, but it's not the Giants fault.

20. nyjunc

You know what I meant, the Giants 3rd year in existence and the NFL was a baby back then. No one cared about it and they didn't even have a postseason. I realize you spend more time worrying about football in 1919 which is why you are so confused about great QBs of today but winning w/o a postseason is a joke and winnign when you have to beat out 4 teams is a joke.

The Steelers finished strong, they had just won the last game ever at Three Rivers the week before but had lost 3 of 4 going into that game. The Giants faced 3 playoff bound teams and played 4 games against playoff teams all year NE faced 5 playoff bound teams and played 7 games against playoff bound teams all year. The Giants got homefield and beat two 11-5 teams, NE beat 3 teams ont he road two of which were 12-4. The 2000 Giants are not close to the 1985 Pats.

Favre can't play in the cold anymore, those conditions were a huge advantage to the Giants in 2007.

6 championship game wins and 12 championship game losses.

I will never get how Jet fans can root for the Giants and while they are one of the oldest franchises their legacy is losing championship games. They are not an elite franchise.