Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...are you serious?

The only player on the Chargers that might be better option as a backfield blocker is Mike Tolbert. All Darren Sproles can do is dive at the legs of defenders.

LT is a much more polished receiver than Sproles. Sproles is a lot more dangerous, but he's not a better receiver.

2. Prea

Prea New Member

No he wasn't. In fact all us chargers fans heard all season was how he was so healthy and fresh in his limited roll. He injured his ankle week 1, sat out 2 weeks, got a few carries in week 4. Then week 5 was a bye. He was back to 100% by week 6 or 7.

At this point in their careers, yes. Sproles is an amazing pass blocker (much better than LT ever was, his small size gives him great leverage). He's also probably one of the better receiving backs in the league.

Sproles was always used on 3rd downs for these reasons. He had 45 receptions for 500 yards this year, and 4 receiving TDs. 30 receptions for 350 yards last year. 11.8 and 11.0 averages (higher averages than LT ever had in his career)

#1182 Prea, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am not arguing against the move, he's coming here in a part time role. You took shots at jones I simply responded w/ facts.

Was LT hurt all of 2008 as well?

Thomas Jones is a better RB right now than LT and he was a team leader and very popular in the LR.

Jay feeley is the best kicker we have ever had.

It's not valuing mediocrity, it's knowing what you have while you have it.

LT may be a better fit in a part time role than Jones but remember Jones didn't say a peep when they reduced his role late in the year.

I expected Greene to get the bulk of the carries w/ or w/o Jones here. I wanted Jones in the role LT will be playing but I'm fine w/ LT but for people to act like we just made this huge upgrade they are fooling themsleves.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

This is what the LT over Thomas Jones comes down to. There are a few reasons..

1. Thomas Jones is a prideful man. I doubt he would be willing to accept a secondary role on this team that he was "the man" for, for the past 3 seasons and now back up Greene all season. He accepted it in the playoffs because it was the playoffs. Plus he was banged up and he knew Greene was fresh and more effective.

2. Even if Jones were willing to accept the secondary role, he doesn't fit what the Jets have in mind for that role at all. Greene is in effect, the new Jones. The starting RB, the bruiser, the guy who gets the majority of the carries. For the backup role, they want a guy who can catch passes, can break a long play here and there, a versatile player. LT fits that bill. Jones does not.

3. The Jets have supreme confidence in their offensive line. They figure give LT 8-10 carries a game, throw him a few passes, don't over work him and let him run behind this line.. especially after Greene has softened them up, and we'll see a very productive player.

Is he the same player he used to be? Obviously not. But he ran behind a terrible line last year, was banged up, and the team was obviously a pass first team. I think limiting his work load and letting him run behind our line will do wonders for him. Plus he will make up for the leadership/veteran mentor void that was caused by Jones leaving. This is a good signing.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He's not coming in here to be the starter. The Jets will probably discard Tomlinson after the 2010 season if he cannot handle the backup job this year.
    Normally, I would be with you. 30+ year old backs are tough to deal with, but Tomlinson ran behind a suspect run blocking line last year.

6. usviJETS

usviJETS New Member

can the year start tomorrow!! i cant wait!

7. nyjunc

huh?

Norv got there in 2007, he had the 3rd highest YPC of his career and 4th highest rush TD total. LT is just an old back(he's young in real life but ancient w/ all the carries in those legs). Norv didn't ruin him, all those carries eventually caught up to him.

8. Prea

Prea New Member

LT was also the leading rusher in the nfl with Norv in 2007

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

and.............. Norval ruined him

10. nyjunc

How so?.....

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Im not a big fan of this signing as I am on recording as stating that I would rather have brought back Jones. I didnt think LT and or Westbrook fit our team as long as we were bringing back Leon.

But if Greene is the real deal and is what we all think he is then I like this move more. And if Leon can come back and regain his pre injury form then this deal means very little IMO.

LT I feel can still contribute even if its only minimal and he will be running behind a great O-Line for most likely no more then 10 times a game. And the guy is still searching for a ring. Its not bad to have veteran guys on your team that are still chasing a championship.

#1191 kevmvp, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  12. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Too many pages to look through to see if this was mentioned but it was said that LT left the Vikings facility with a Vikings jersey. Does anyone remember when Reggie White visited us in 93' he left our facility with a Jets jersey already stitched with his name and number on it? Instead of signing with us, he left us to win a Super Bowl with Green Bay. Hopefully the football gods comes back and actually helps us win ours 17 years later or then again 41 years later depending how you look at it :metal:

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Why don't you google it? It's not that hard.

LT was bothered by turf toe for most of the 2008 season...so yes, he was injured in 2008.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Norv changed the focal point of the offense from LT.....to Rivers and the passing game. I'm not going to dispute that LT's age has caught up to him....

There are other factors too.....like Norv being a fucking r'tard and that everything he touches turns to sheep turds......but that's another conversation.

15. nyjunc

So he's now in his 30s being hurt the last 2 years(according to you, the SD fan said he was healthy most of last year) and you think he'll be healthy for us a year older?

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

It comes down to the Jets feeling that Tomlinson is versatile and Jones is not, imo.

If Greene can't handle the load or gets hurt, Tomlinson can step in and handle 15-20 carries a game with Leon spelling him. If Leon doesnt come back from his injury as the same player he was, Tomlinson can handle that role, whereas Jones definitely couldn't. If Greene and Leon are both healthy and effective, then Tomlinson is a hell of a part-time player to use here and there when needed.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I don't believe that for one second.

The ankle injury slowed him down in 2009. Add a horrible offense line to that and you have mediocre production.

Darren Sproles is the more explosive/dangerous receiver, but he's not a better all-around target.

...and he's definitely not a better blocker. That little SOB has no chance unless he cut blocks someone.

Sproles was used on third downs because that's where his value is. He can't run between the tackles like LT.

I don't give a god damn about his averages. Come back and argue when Sproles rushes for 1,000 plus yards and catches 100 passes in a single season.

18. Prea

Prea New Member

You mean like Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Antonio Gates, and Phillip Rivers? Not to mention he lead the team to a 13-3 record, and an 11 game win streak to finish the season (despite numerous key injuries).

I'm not a big norv fan, but he's done fairly well.....besides getting us over the hump.

19. nyjunc

and they actually won playoff games their first 2 years w/ him where they hadn't before so what did Norv do wrong?

You think by not getting him a few more carries a game that resulted in shaving off a yard-yard and a half from his YPC?

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member