Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why is a 2 year deal terrible? This is the NFL and nobody has said anything is guaranteed..might as well be a 20 year deal..it would mean no more or less.

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

per RC: LT salary: 2 yrs, $5.2 mil, according to source. Can escate to $5.7 mil. He got slightly more than Thomas Jones from KC.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, it is extremely ridiculous.

Don't the haters understand why some people call Tomlinson "LT" for short?

Long and unique first name.
    Long last name.

I'm sure he was called "LT" back in grade school.

It is not disrespectful to Taylor for people to call Tomlinson "LT."

Now, as it relates to writing here on the internet, I find it ironic that people will write "LT2" in part because they are too lazy to write Tomlinson. They have to hit the shift key when they press the T key and then they have to make an extra keystroke with the 2 and all the while it is moronic to begin with because the guy's nickname is not "LT2!"

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Solid pickup, nice work Tannenbaum!

This fills the void of TJ, still got love for TJ though.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

+1

I have a feeling LT will have doube digit TDs in 2010.

To me, Tomlinson's greatest value is as a pass blocker and a check down option for Sanchez. The signing is going to be huge in the development of our franchise signal caller.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I guess that's why they never won a playoff game w/ Marty and made the title game w/ Norv?

Against us in '04 he averaged less than 3.1 YPC, only one postseason game in his carer has he averaged more than 3.1 YPC when getting at least 8 carries.

Did Thomas Jones average 3.3 YPC all year? He averaged well over 4 and struggled down the stretch and in postseason b/c of an injury., Was LT hurt all year?

I'm ok w/ the move but it's downright hysterical watching people go gaga over this that didn't want Thomas Jones here.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If that is the biggest then the second biggest is that he will be willing to mentor Greene..somehow I have a feeling Jones wanted no part of that.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

pretty sure LT hurt his ankle week 1.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Tomlinson is not as hefty as Leroy Hoard, but he could play the same type of role Hoard played in 1998 and 1999 for Minnesota. Hoard was a backup but scored 20 total touchdowns those two years.

In 1997, Marcus Allen was 37 years old. In a backup role he ran 124 times for 505 yards and scored 11 touchdowns. Tomlinson could certainly do something like that.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

LT is washed up and will put up pedestrian numbers in 2010, even in the limited role the Jets have in mind for him.

Look as his 2009 stats :

223 attempts for 730 yards. 3.3 ypc. He also only caught 20 passes last year, which is one of the primary signs of a RB in serious decline - a drop in receptions. Why doesn't the horrible ypc and lack of receptions scare anybody else?

I think he is done. TJ has more left in the tank than LT IMO. The only way this makes sense is if TJ would not accept the back up role and LT is embracing it. I would take TJ for the same money over LT.

I am just not in favor of signing great players who are well past their years of greatness. Add this to a long line of Jet signings of washed up stars. I hope Tanny and Ryan and Schotty see something in LT that I am missing.

11. Prea

Prea New Member

And then he was pretty much back to 100% by week 6 or 7.
    The drop in receptions is in part due to the emergence of Darren Sproles, who is a much better pass blocker and receiver. However LT's catching/running ability is nowhere near what it used to be.

12. skipper

skipper Member

Lt is costing us up to 5.7M for two years. TJ was scheduled to make 5.8M THIS year and, from what I hear, was not open to renegotiating down. If they are even close in their abilities, we got a bargain!

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

from Cimini via twitter

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It's this that the doubters are failing to understand.

A reduced role, earning up to (apparently) a possible $5.7 million? Tomlinson knows he is just there to contribute, not to be solely relied on as the feature back for the Jets.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Chargers were pretty bad team under Schottenheimer. Also, Nate Kaeding kind of fucked up Schotty's chances against the Jets a few years back.

The simple fact is: Marty Ball is the perfect style for LT.

You realize we'll have other running backs on the team to help him out. Sproles can't run between the tackles like Greene can.

LT fits into this style of play.

Who gives a damn about his playoff YPC? LT is this decade's best running back. If he can come in here and score 8 to 10 TDs and catch 30 to 40 passes, then this signing turns from good to great.

This "injury" you're talking about was never reported. Are just assuming that he was injured because he had little to no burst on the majority of his carries?

Jones is not versatile at all. He's a good power back, but he's not a solid receiver. LT is a complete back.

...and yes, LT was hurt all year.

It's hysterical that you shit your pants when Feely and Jones weren't re-signed. It amazes me when so many Jet fans over value mediocrity.

LT is a better fit than Thomas Jones. Jones wasn't worth the money he was receiving.

Shonn Greene was drafted to replace him. I don't see how people aren't getting that.

LT wasn't signed to fill Thomas Jones' spot. He was signed to play a completely different role.

#1175 Mr Electric, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  16. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Nice signing! The RB position has plenty of depth now.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

My favorite might have been the time when steroid freak Rocket Man threw Jack Edwards out of a window.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

LT had 12 TD's in 2009 behind a shitty run blocking o-line on a team that was pass heavy. Only 4 backs had more. I predict he'll have 10+ TD's for us in 2010.

19. wildaces

wildaces Banned

This is an exceptional signing. LT is only 30 years old, and even though he hasn't produced like LT of old he is an elite back. He has both the knowledge, and skill set to still be dominate.

He is getting an upgraded OL, and a capable counterpart to help take some of the beating. In addition, his gift out of the backfield fits our scheme tremendously, and should be very effective on third downs.

With that said, I don't believe that Leon will be back. I expect to see him traded on draft day, if someone doesn't sign him.

JMO

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

ridiculous post.

Norval has ruined LT's production since he got there....plus SD's run blocking scheme was below par.

LT, in a supporting role, should pay immediate dividends for the Jets.....