Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't want to get rid of Jones so much as I wanted to see his role diminished.

2. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

I agree - he also knows he's not a #1 back anymore. It would make perfect sense to put him behind our OLine. It also add a solid veteran presence and leadership in the locker room that we lost with TJ. I think it would be a great signing for the right price.

3. abyzmul

As well as being just as good of a backfield blocker on 3rd down and being 10 times the receiver out of the backfield that TJ ever was.

I don't like LT's recent injury history, but we need a veteran 3rd down back on the team and he's probably the best option available to the Jets at this point.

I think he's going to sign with the Jets, too. He wants to have a chance to win a ring, and his other real option is the Vikings. So best-case scenario in Minny is that Favre comes back and AD gets his carries limited by Brett's tendency to audibale out of running plays, and LT is as invisible as Chester Taylor was last year in the backup role. Or he can play an active role on a run-happy team like the Jets and actually get some reps.

4. ........

........ Trolls

I don't know, but reading that story this morning really frustrated me. The excuse all along was that they objected to his roster bonus. Not agreeing to pay him what the Chiefs did, however, is absolutely baffling.

5. ........

........ Trolls

I thought that too, but then I read this:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

6. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

7. abyzmul

That's pretty strange. You'd think that if they were looking at a vet like LT, they'd have matched. There's probably a lot more going on behind the scenes than we can hope to guess at. The only think I can think that Tomlinson brings to the table and TJ doesn't is as a receiver otu of the backfield.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, there must be a reason why they didn't want to bring him back cheaply, but I sure as hell can't see it.

9. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Maybe they are just looking at him to be thorough and that's all. I don't really care if they sign him as long as they don't overpay.

10. Don G

Don G New Member

What does signing LT mean to Leon Washington? I'm all for signing LT but not if it means losing Leon.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Maybe he burned some bridges, he didn't seem like that type of guy but he had to know they were going to cut him and he may have said some regretable things along the way. It's not out of the equation that they just thought he was done. Then again the possibilty that he wasn't big name enough for Woody to sell seats is also a possible scenario as well.

12. I think part of the reason for possibly wanting LT over Jones is that they want a more drastic change of pace option between Greene and LW. The league has really started to develop a running back by commitee type mentality. It is most successful when the given RB's all have different running styles as it makes it difficult for defenses to adjust in game.

Now Jones isn't an EXACT replica of Greene in terms of running style...but he is a bit of a power back...although not as physical or as much of a slasher. But he still generates alot of contact. Lt brings a much different element that will be tougher for defense's to adjust to.

13. crackbillionair

crackbillionair New Member

I think Jones' worth is over blown. The Jets didn't want him, and he had a decent year. That speaks volumes.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Again i'll say that TJ has no injury history like LT does from last season and has much less mileage on his body then LT.

15. And your point would be? perhaps I'd buy this as a valid argument if TJ or LT were coming into be a starter. But that's not the case. LT's only gonna get 10-12 touches a game...and that should extend his career and effectiveness. Injury history and mileage is not the be all, end all of RB personel evaluation.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My point would be that i'd rather have a guy that has been successful in our system for 3 years, knows the system, is a great locker room leader who is loved by his team mates, and has been healthy and has a lot less mileage on his body, then take on a guy who looked terrible last season and had injury problems.
    Starter or not if youre asking me at this point in their careers who would i rather have i say TJ hands down.
    I mean it's a mute point but it's just my opinion.

Another poster said it before, we have to stop looking at these guys with ideas of them in their prime and see them for what they are NOW.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

The point Kurt was making is that LT has a completly different style then TJ, he adds a little more versatility to our offense that Jones did not offer.

It's not a debate about who is more healthy becuase Jones wins that one but by adding an outlet for Sanchez out of the backfield adds another dimension to our offense.

I'm sure our FO knows we won't be getting the HOF version of LT but instead a guy who will be a prt time player with the ability to get into the EZ. The fact that he scored 12 TD's last year indicates he is effective near the goal line.

18. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

'm all for that, so tell me how TJ hits the hole, now?
    bc he doesn't. i've said before i'm not all for LT or all against LT... but i think in the diminished role that we're probably putting either of them in, LT is a better option as he provides the checkdown to sanchez.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

You're doing yourself no good by complaining about TJ over and over again. He's gone. What's done is done. You don't know all the reasons behind the Front Office's decision, and before you pass judgement on whether or not this is a bad move, at least wait until the start of the season.

20. abyzmul

Come on, man, I saw a few Chargers games this year and the burst LT has to hit the hole is better than the burst TJ had during his entire time as a Jet.