Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Keep in mind people used to believe Drew Brees could never win a title and was washed up.

2. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Good call man. LT coming off a 730 yard season with 12TDs and a 3.3 yard avg at 31 is better then CM who was coming off 1697 yard season with 12TDs and 4.6 yard avg at age 32.

Do you think before you speak?

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Maybe Rivers is the problem......... I just know there is a significant problem with that team. Why bring in so many of them?

4. crackbillionair

crackbillionair New Member

I like LT a lot better than Jones. Plus, we get to define LT's role from the start, so it's not an awkward thing like telling Jones "Green's the starter now." He could make a lot of gains behind our line, and he won't be all demanding. Plus, he HATES New England. I love that too.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i hadn't thought about how much easier it will be to have a guy knowing what his role is when he is signing the contract. good point.

6. I think it'd be a great move. You can't have enough GOOD players on a football team...even if their role is not as big as it once was.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think it would be a great move. I'd love a veteran third back who we can trust and could play if Greene/Leon got hurt. And LT is versatile enough where he could take Leon's role as the pass catching back or Greene's role as a workhorse if we needed him to.

I'm very curious what they sign him for if they get him. Jones was going to get $5.8 million for one year. How much will we give LT?

8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I'd reckon Jones' contract at Kansas is a better indicator of what veteran running backs are worth with a lot of quality coming up in the draft and a potential lockout looming. LT's a bit younger than TJ, but he didn't post the numbers that TJ did last year. Circa $2M seems reasonable.

9. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

Per Schefter's Twitter:

@Adam_Schefter LT now on his way to the Jets. He will be arriving in NY - or is it NJ? - tonight. 15 minutes ago

So, it looks like the Jets are definitely getting a crack at him. I still stand by what I said earlier. I really got a feeling the Jets are gonna make a big pitch and get him to sign before he even attempts to leave anywhere else. It makes sense for both sides, and I don't think we can underestimate the headline splash an LT signing would make, which is always something Woody craves for considering our team's PSL situation.

10. ukilledkenny

2 million has been the number i had in my head since this morning. 2.5 is gonna be pushing it.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I agree. He's going to get a very nice offer.

Those that are comparing TJ's year last year to LT's need to keep a couple things in mind:

1) Jets OL were arguably the best in the entire sport.
    2) Chargers had an experienced QB with a pass-first offense. The Jets were the polar opposite on offense.

I'm not saying LT would get 1200 yards with us, but I'd venture a guess that he'd have a very productive year for us. Plus he's got versatility in both the passing game and Wildcat that Jones doesn't.

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

For some strange reason I'm really excited about this. I completely understand that he's nowhere near what he was in the mid-00s, but it's still L fuckn' T.

13. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Agreed, i really hope we sign him

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

LT has never been second banana and that worries me a bit. I remember him getting pissed off when the Chargers used Sproles on a goal line carry against the Broncos.

15. ukilledkenny

i remember that too but that was when he was still "the man" he has just been cut and hasn't drawn any interest as a starting back he will be coming in understanding what his role is.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Re: Source: LT may visit Jets on Friday

I'd hope to sign him at $2-3 mil, which seemed absurd until the market started to shape up. He'd be great in limited duty, especially with our line. The only way I hate this deal is if he gets what TJ was under contract for, but I don't see that happening.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

This will be a key issue at the meeting, but I don't think Tomlinson would be a problem with the Jets. Heck, he visited the Vikings today. There's no way he would start for them unless Peterson were to get injured. In other words, Tomlinson can accept a backup role. His visit to Minnesota basically proved it. He's ready for a reduced role.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

San Diego's problem is....*drum roll*.............................................Norval. [​IMG]

19. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Well, he's still set to visit tomorrow. I'm neither against it nor for it. However, to think TJ was able to put up 1400yds behind this line at 31, makes me think LT has more than a shot at 30.

The real benefit of signing LT would be the freedom it'd afford us on draft day(s). O- and D-line depth, plus holes at LB and in secondary can be more firmly addressed.

20. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I really think that one of LT's biggest drivers will be "who gives me the best shot at a ring?". He's got realistically two years left in him with the ability to play a significant part of winning the Superbowl, and the second one of those is currently looking like there won't be a Superbowl, so he's got to go for it this year. I talked about this earlier and was accused (probably quite accurately) of being biased, but what do you think an outsider's view would be of who offers a better chance this year?