Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ........

........ Trolls

ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol ol

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You conveniently left out that he also rushed for 12 TD's. He has a nose for the endzone much like TJ did. Our offensive line is also much better at run blocking.

We already have a back that will hurt people, his name is Shonn Greene. LT would fit the role we wanted TJ to have this year IMO.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I have a few immediate thoughts to this:

1. They're preparing to lose Leon, becaue LT has said this week how he's open to playing a 3rd down type, reduced role. If we have Leon, that 3rd down receiving back role is occupied.

2. The Jets believe anybody can run behind their o-line, and LT can revive his career, while being a great mentor to Greene.

3. They really, really didnt think too much of Thomas Jones on the field, if they're going to replace him with a guy who barely ran for 3 yards a carry last year.

Hey, if he is willing to play for very little, willing to accept a secondary role.. then why not? Behind our o-line, in a limited role, maybe he can be a player again.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That stat did not help me, lol-

I could run the ball in from 1-3 yards out.

5. MadBacker Prime

Our OL will hurt him, they might roll back on his tender foot and then he's done.

I'd like to see other options and him as a last resort.

IR IR IR IR IR

6. ganggreen51

ganggreen51 New Member

who is on the chargers o-line besides McNeil? we have the best Line in the league if we can get him for cheap we should definitely do it

7. WhiteShoeWillis

4 RB's had more TD's than LT last year. He's always had a nose for the endzone. I don't think that's something just anyone has.

8. ........

........ Trolls

He's an unlikely option since I don't think he makes it out of Minnesota without signing, and if it would preclude us from drafting a back, I'd be opposed. However, to suggest that his Oline last season wasn't absolutely dreadful and contributed to his poor showing is absurd. He's not the back he once was, but he could be just as successful as TJ would have been behind our line, and will likely require fewer carries to do so.

9. MadBacker Prime

Cheap is the keyword-

I know we have a great line, but receiving stats aren't that great either.

A lot of the passes are screen passes and puts the onus on him to make the some guys miss.

Plus, he his made of glass.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

This could also be a way to sell PSL's by singing LT. Bringing in Hall of Fame player.

also even though LT is a RB I like the idea of surrounding Mark Sanchez with veterans of the game for advice on and off the field.

#90 JfaulkNYJ, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

He was productive in the system, is a great leader, and it's an uncapped year.
    The 6 million shouldn't even come into play.I'm sure he would have played for a little less but i'll bet the Jets really lowballed him.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

It's time to get over the fact that TJ is gone. It's a done deal. Now we need to replace the carries they were planning on him getting.

13. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I totally agree with you and our run game is already feared (well as of right now we are missing one 1/3 of that since we cut TJ, but we just need 1 more RB whether it be LT or MB and as long as we have this line, but it will be feared) I was just saying that we needed to improve that passing game and we saw shades of it in the playoffs I think we are going to have a bright future and season this year.

14. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

That's easy to say when it isn't your six million. If I'm the team owner or GM and I reckon I can get the same production or better from half the money or less, I'm pretty sure I know what I'd be doing.

I'm not down on TJ, I just understand why they made the decision they did. As WSW said, rightly or wrongly he's gone and it's time to move on.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

please stop with the uncapped year stuff.every team has stated that they are operating as if there was a cap.therefore they were not going to pay a 32 y.o. rb 6 million for one season.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Perfectly stated Johnny. And what the Chiefs paid proves it. I bet the Jets offered him more for one year but it was a pride thing. Can't blame either side, lets just find us a backup for Greene and hope Leon stays and is 100%. We have enough issues on defense to deal with like our DL and secondary.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but if you're replacing what you deem as an "over the hill" RB with one that has more mileage then to me it's not a smart deal.
    I can't see that we'd save that much more $ on LT then on TJ, and TJ is loved in the lockerroom and already knows the offense.
    LT has had injuries where TJ hasn't.

By the way i feel that part of that 6 million is mine since i've invested a lot of $ in this team buying season tickets for 30 years and shelling out over $16k for PSL's.

18. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

The Charges O-Line sucked ass as far as run blocking goes. I'd be interested to see what he could behind an offensive line that doesnt get shredded like swiss cheese when it's time to run the ball

19. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I'd like to see you try and run the ball in the NFL, Really. Please.

He's not Thomas Jones, he doesnt run into his own offensive line every three carries =P

He's worth it on a ~2 mill / 1 year deal. Again, I'd love to see him behind our O-line, and see what he has left

20. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I agree with you entirely if they pay LT $6M. If they give him $1.5M to produce the sort of figures that TJ would have done this year (I'm guessing that he wouldn't have been anywhere near 1400 yards this season) then it's a reasonable deal - last year our vet RB had the vast majority of yardage, this year we're looking to him to be our third option. We're looking for a different return from the player so it's not unreasonable to think that there might be a different wage scale, and possibly a different mindset.

I hear what you say about the money and it's easy to feel that way, but I'm afraid that isn't how it works. I feel like I should own a significant shareholding in my local boozer given the amount of money I've spent there, but every time I mention it to the landlord he laughs at me and pours me another pint.