OJ Atogwe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I really believe that the Jets wouldn't trade Rhodes unless they had an upgrade coming and not via the draft. To trade Rhodes for a 4th and then to draft a rookie unproven FS just doesn't seem like the route they would take, especially with the importance Rex places on the secondary.

The Jets have Atogwe on their shortlist and his availability presents a very unique opportunity with the final 8 rules. His situation basically makes him an "UFA" because the Rams simply will not match an offer sheet and to my knowledge they are not asking for a draft pick in exchange.

I really think the Jets are going to make a move on this guy, which would be a tremendous upgrade at the position and would then give us that extra pick in this years draft.

Thoughts?

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

No offense, but this has beaten to a pulp in at least 2 threads I've read. But yes, I would love him.

3. TurkJetFan

Yes I just saw that...

Sorry guys!!

Mods please merge into "so whats our next move?"

4. skeleton_frames

I just read that the Rams gave him the lowest tender because it's helping them to establish his value. I can't post the link because I still have my training wheels on, but the St. Louis Globe Democrat said:

So yeah, I agree with you. There could be something to this...they've been trying to get a long-term deal done, so either he doesn't want to play for the Rams, or they are low balling him.

From what I've seen in the chat discussion there's a couple of great safeties, but the consensus seems to be they wouldn't fall to us. There's a lot of depth at safety so maybe we could grab one later?

5. TurkJetFan

if the rams had any intention of keeping him they would have tendered him highest possible....they simply don't want to pay his salary....and the jets can offer WHATEVER they want....there is no way the rams match....Jets are going to be aggressive with this guy...he is the only TOP player at a position we can basically negotiate with as if he were a UFA and not have to give up ANY compensation...

Jets MUST get this done

6. skeleton_frames

You're probably right. Unless they are using it to establish his value so they know what it would take to lock him up. They might think he's overvaluing himself. Which probably wouldn't be the first time a player did that.

7. TurkJetFan

problem i see with the rams taking that approach is they are the worst team in the NFL...if a team like the jets come along and offer him a nice contract there is no way he doesn't take it

8. skeleton_frames

Exactly. I didn't say it was a smart approach, just that it might be the RAMS approach.:grin:

It would be awesome if they could make this happen.

9. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

All i'm reading is how the Jets are gonna go into the season not spending alot on safety so to me, this seems like a bit of a pipe dream.

10. ........

........ Trolls

And the Rams still have the right of first refusal if he does. They can match any contract. The Rams tendered him at the lowest value simply because their only other option was to give him $8 million for one year and STILL lose him next year. No one was going to give up a 1st rounder for Atogwe, and he's made it clear he doesn't want to sign a long term deal with the Rams.

If he signs a fair deal with another team, and that team fails to poison pill the contract, the Rams can match the deal and retain his services at a fair price without actually having to negotiate with him. It's not an unwise deal for a guy who isn't making any attempt to allow them to sign him.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I dont really know much about OJ what kind of player is he.

12. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

That's the thing. We can offer a contract with an incentive that pays him an extra $10 million that year if he plays 2 home games indoors or something.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Tanny needs to throw the proverbial financial "kitchen sink" at Atogwe.....he wants out of StL, he's not over the hill, he's skilled, we need a starting FS.....GET 'ER DONE, TANNY.

#13 MBGreen, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i really hope we see a report out of even a semi reliable source about this guy in the coming days and weeks. so far this just seems like a bunch of speculation by us.

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_GBt5zGmI[/YOUTUBE]

16. skeleton_frames

And it's not just any old speculation...it's baseless, wishful speculation. Otherwise known as the #2 reason the Internet was created.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Most of us have couched it precisely as that. What's your point?

18. skeleton_frames

Nothing. I was just kidding.

19. skeleton_frames

Nice video. I like the extra effort when he makes a play on the ball.

20. Tight

Tight Active Member

I heard he cant pass a physical and his shoulder is shit... True ?