Jets Trade For Cromartie (2011 Conditional)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JAMESDEARTH, Mar 4, 2010.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You should stop doing coke with whiskey.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Jets give Cromartie $500,000 upfront
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 7, 2010 9:02 AM ET
    With seven kids in five states and allegations of overdue child support payments, new Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie is in need of some cash.

The Jets are giving it to him.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network is reporting that the Jets are restructuring the remaining year on Cromartie's deal, converting about $500,000 of Cromartie's $1.7 million salary into a bonus that he'll receive now.

Without the Jets agreeing to re-work the deal, Cromartie would have had to wait until the regular season starts before he starts collecting his salary. And since his salary is about $100,000 a week, he would have had to wait until Week Five before he'd have $500,000. Apparently Cromartie (who also owes a former agent at least $32,000) needs $500,000 badly enough that he can't make it until October.

Cromartie is in the final year of his contract, and the Jets are not expected to give him a long-term extension.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ Its funny because its his own fault he's in that situation.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I just ready that and came away with a bad feeling about it. He was a first round pick so he must have made some serious money and if he is is that broke already things are only going to get worse for him. That doesn't bode well for what kind of player he will become with those kind of pressures eating away at him.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What we can hope is that with all the debt paid off he can focus on football, rather than the 4500 problems he's caused himself.

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

If you were paying child support for 7 different kids you would need every cent too. Hell, even at a football player's salary.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Man, this guy is a year older than me and has 7 children? Dude should learn what a condom is :rofl:

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I see it as he needs to prove he is worth more money in order to pay for all this crap too. Extra motivation.

9. GG2000

GG2000 Member

Well, with Sanchez and Chauncey Washington as teammates, Cromartie should be learning a lot more about Trojans :grin:

10. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

You know, I agree with this sentiment. As good as he's been, and I know with Rex as his coach and the scheme of our D fits him well, all I can think of was that playoff game. I hope he comes into camp with a chip on his shoulder to lose this "soft" label and you know our CS will be more than happy to try to help him. <fingers crossed>

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Ba-dum-bump. tssst.

12. skeleton_frames

WAA WAAA.

I liked in his interview the way he owned his mistakes. He even owned up to pussing out on Greene.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

lol antonio better use this money to take care of his paternity suits and not a new Bentley

14. skeleton_frames

It's not a big deal. He's going to NY. How much trouble can he get in there (gulp). Maybe Pacman can point him to the 'scrip' clubs he went to when he was supposed to be meeting with Goddell.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Actually, he's going to New Jersey. If he's smart, he won't venture into NYC.
    He should rent a house somewhere near Florham Park and focus on football and his legal issues. Don't go to the clubs in NYC. Maybe somebody on the Jets will get to this guy and he'll learn to stay away from that scene.
    I believe Cromartie was out with teammates at a restaurant during training camp of his rookie season. Later that night, linebacker Steve Foley was shot by a police officer. I forgot what became of that story except that Foley never played again. He had been the San Diego starter at the right outside linebacker spot.
    A few years later there was the champagne bottle incident.
    I'm sure he's knows what happened with Plaxico Burress and Antonio Pierce. Those two jerkoffs had no reason to go to NYC, but they went anyway and one of them almost blew his own dick off.

All we can hope for is that Cromartie matures soon.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The guy is in a contract year and is obviously going to be needing money, so he should be motivated. His problems aren't the Jets problems, not for the cost of a draft pick a year from now.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

His off the field issues should motivate him to get a big contract, if not from the Jets then from somewhere else. Either way, he's going to want to showcase his worth to 31 teams this season. Hopefully this makes him a little more willing to throw his shoulder pads into a few ball carriers.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why do you consider the Braylon trade a success? We traded for BE with the hopes that once he gained some chemistry with Sanchez, he would develop into the elite wideout that he showed he had the potential to become in 2007.

So far, he has shown to be the ball-dropping wideout that we traded for, who occasionally makes that great catch and tricks people into thinking it will continue into a string of legendary catches, instead of just the flash of brilliance it is.

What people who can be somewhat objective about the subject are hoping for is that this offseason will give him time to get on the same page with Sanchez and he will become great with some stability at QB and with more time with the team.

If it was really a success at this point, we'd be signing him to a long-term contract already. Anybody calling it a success at this point is delusional. Or just a pathetic homer.

#458 abyzmul, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

So far, that might not be a safe bet. Hope he plays well though.

20. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Let's hope he can keep his dick in his pants and let out his frustrations on the field.