Jets Trade For Cromartie (2011 Conditional)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JAMESDEARTH, Mar 4, 2010.

1. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I mistake, I thought you were talking about our young draft choices we are going to have to resign. Misunderstood you.

But yeah the old guys are going to leave and retire. I'm ok with that, it happens the on every team. Soon our young players will be our vets/prime players, and Tanny can fill in the rest. I'm not worried as long as they draft some DL in this draft.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I would hope part of the conditional is whether the Jets keep him or not? Part of the 2nd or 3rd? Perhaps not.

History tells us these moves bust more than they succeed.

With that said...Im all in. You do not have the type of year he had in 07 without a ton of talent...not a corner.

25 years old....6'2"...fast. Yeah...not a great tackler..but either was Sanders and he had a decent career.

Bottom line is..hes a huge upgrade even at 80% of 07. Since we can not upgrade via free agency...this is as good as it can get.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The funny thing is that everyone on here is praying that the pick doesn't escalate from a 3rd to a 2nd. I'm praying Cromartie is a superstar again and that he reaches the incentives. That means we'll have one hell of a season.

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Excellent point JFM. If it ends up being a 2nd..then he had a very good year...and opposite Revis..that spells wins.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not me. If Cro becomes the player that he was back in 2007 and stays that way, 2nd round pick is very well spent. You don't get that kind of CB with 2nd rounder anyway.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Umm, yeah, it was just, like, one play and stuff.

Even the great Jerry Rice could look like an idiot from time to time. Remember his ridiculous fumble against the Giants in a 1986 playoff game? He was on his way to a touchdown with a clear field ahead of him and he fumbled the ball. The game was scoreless at the time and that fumble kind of set the tone for the game. The Giants went on to win 49-3. The point is, though, that every player in NFL history has made bad plays.

I was thoroughly disgusted the moment I heard of the Lito Sheppard acquisition last year. I am not mad about this Cromartie trade. He is a definite upgrade over Sheppard- no question about it.

7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We had to get an experienced cover guy, not a rookie. And since we cant sign FA's, this was a great trade. Dwight Lowery or Strickland as our #2 CB is not acceptable so lets hope Rex and the scheme can get this guy back to the player he once was. The great part about the new Jets is we don't trade or sign old guys to start, only players in their mid 20's. Only roll players are over 30. And not giving up any 2010 picks was a must. Geez, we only have 5 picks. The Pats have 5 picks in the top 100 I believe. Ugghhh.

#267 sec314, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Hey boys. I've ebnn off the radar since the end of the season, but had to come back for this news...

Mike T does like to live dangerously, doesn't he? I'll admit I'm not a big fan or mortgaging the future for now, BUT... if this move works out even near it's potential, then our defense will be so scary good, well, it'll be scary! If you can't run on a team, and you can't throw, well, yeah.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

poll: how far into the 2010 seaons before Rex benches Cromartie for lame tackling?

poll: in what season will we be posing about a DB to play opposite Cromartie?

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we have 2 Kerry Rhodes on the field now?

El Prancin Pony part deux....

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Cromartie played with a hip injury in 2008. He fought through it and played in all 16 games. Therefore, you could say he is a gamer.

He is definitely more effective in man-to-man schemes than he is zone coverage. This also helps explain why his production was down. Obviously, the Jets play a lot more man-to-man than does San Diego.

Cromartie will be 26 years old at the start of the season. As long as he's healthy and still has a desire to play football, there's no reason why he can't become a top cornerback again.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Has the divisional playoff loss worn off yet?

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I'm mixed over this trade, but I really like how it is a 2011 pick and not a 2010 pick. Next offseason scares this living shit out of me, I really hope we aren't putting all our eggs into the 2010 season and doing an "all or nothing" approach.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That ties him with the late Derrick Thomas in the kids department. Thomas accomplished the feat with only five women, though.

Travis Henry, Shawn Kemp, and Larry (Grandmama) Johnson are other athletes who had a large number of children with multiple women.

15. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

After watching his hesitation to tackle Greene and avoiding the contact, it reminds me of Rhodes. That coupled with his off the field issues got me worried....

But if Rex can beat his ass up and return him to his 2007 form...I'll take it....but it's a big IF

16. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Nate Kaeding

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm relatively indifferent over this trade. The guy seems like more of a headache than he's worth, but what do I know? And he's a few years removed from being any good really. Doesn't this sound an awful lot like a guy we just traded for last season and is now already gone? This is Lito Sheppard Take 2. I'm cautiously optimistic, but too many people are throwing the term "all-pro" around.

18. HOI

HOI Active Member

I am curious... is this trade also an indication that the Jets have very little faith that Lowery will ever be a big contributor to this defense.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Jets were idiots for acquiring Sheppard and I wrote as much last year. Cromartie is a much better cornerback than Sheppard. If he stays injury-free and has his head right from a mental standpoint, he's going to be fine on the football field.

San Diego did well with this trade because Cromartie was not well-liked by many of his teammates and they have two other good CBs in Cason and Jammer. The off the field stuff and dealing with teammates is the only aspect of this trade that has me worried. Again, the football part of the equation I am not worried about.

20. CheapJersey

CheapJersey New Member

Hopefully he turns into his former pro bowl self but, is this a huge deal?

We lost one of our Corners (Lito) and replaced him with another.

Do you think we will still target a CB?