Schien: Rhodes could be traded to Arizona

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RAGINGVILMA, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

After thinking about it, I think it might be best for us to take the pick. I didn't take into account the lingering hammy injuries for Boldin, and his shitty contract disputes. Take the pick and hope we hit a homerun. I wouldn't complain if it were Boldin though....

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

As much as I would like another draft pick, I feel that we have a need at WR and that Boldin is worth a 3rd rounder. If we can sign Rolle and also get Boldin, we are taking care of two problems.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

After this, I don't...

Per rotoworld:

4. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

If we pick up Boldin, that means we trade Edwards for picks, but he just got the first and third tender, which means we're trying to scare off anyone interested. A 3rd round pick it would be.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What the hell are you talking about?

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Boldin is a sick player but honestly I'd rather take the draft pick and try to sign Rolle when he hits the market. Edwards and Cotchery are our starting WR, we don't need someone to come in and bitch about his role on the team.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Here is how I am reading it:

If we trade for Boldin then it means that the Jets are unhappy with Edwards' vis-a-vis his objection to the RFA tender instead of a long term deal and are looking to trade him away so we can get some picks back for him and lose the head case.

However, the Jets put a 1st and a 3rd round tender on Edwards so it must be unlikely that the Jets want to part with him since it would take two picks to acquire him.

That's the best that I can come up with. Of course, none of that takes into account the fact that the Jets offered the 1st and 3rd round tender to Edwards before Boldin possibly became available through a trade of Rhodes.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This is tough.

Reasons to take Boldin:
    1) He's a Pro Bowl receiver
    2) He fills a position of need
    3) We don't know how long Edwards will be here
    4) Tough-as-nails which fits Rex's style
    5) The pick is just a late 3rd

Reasons to take the pick:
    1) We don't have very many
    2) We need to build some young depth
    3) Gives us extra trade ammo (if we need it)
    4) Boldin is 29 and injury prone
    5) Don't know how Boldin would shake up the receiving corps. (contract demands)

It seems a lot more likely that the Cards would be willing to give up a 3rd for Rhodes than Boldin. Though, I've heard rumors that the Cards have been shopping Boldin for a 3rd rounder.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

wtf???????

10. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Pretty much.

The way I see it, there's no way we enter camp with all three, Cotchery, Edwards, and Boldin on the team. With Cotchery basically a given to remain on the roster, adding Boldin would mean that we're going to try and get rid of Braylon Edwards.

As a RFA, though, we put the highest possible tender, which basically means nobody is going to bother offering for him. If we'd put a 1st round tender on Edwards, he either might've been traded for that, or bargained down to, say, a 2nd and 4th. The 1st round tender is a jumping off point for trade negotiations, the 1st and 3rd means he's not going anywhere.

So if we're going to keep Cotchery, and we've now committed to keeping Braylon, there's no point in adding a third high-profile high-priced wide receiver to a run first team. The only way Boldin would be coming to the Jets is if they had any intentions to part with Braylon, and, since they're not going to, Tanny wouldn't bother acquiring Anquan.

Yes, the Jets announced plans to place this tender days ago, and the trade possibility has only recently come up. However, I think Tannenbaum and the coaching staff like Braylon to the point where upgrading at wide receiver was never a thought that crossed their minds. If it was, and, say, they'd targeted Brandon Marshall or any other potentially available wideout (and Boldin has been known to be one such player), Edwards wouldn't have received the tender he did.

In other words, don't get your hopes up that this trade brings in Boldin.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Re: Schien: Rhodes will be traded to Arizona

Ugh. Well, now I have mixed feelings on trading Rhodes, then.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Take the pick(s). Boldin is too injury prone.

13. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Me I LOVE me some Anquan Boldin

14. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

He's a good player, but I wouldn't be particularly excited about adding Boldin. He'd move Cotchery to the bench, or else be on the bench himself, and both of those guys are too good to be on the bench. Take the draft pick, sign Rolle, and never look back.

BTW, 8 mil a year isn't all that outlandish for Rolle. Comparisons to Polamalu's and Reed's contracts is misleading, since those are old contracts, and inflation in NFL deals is ridiculous. Plus Rolle has a lot of leverage on his side, being one of the few proven talents available, not to mention one of the very few players available at all for the final 4 teams. I think he has superstar potential in Rex Ryan's defense.

I'm not going to buy into this too hard though, because Schein hasn't struck me as a guy who's really that linked in that he'd know about a trade before anybody else does.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

As skilled as Boldin is.

The guy is going to be 30 this season, and is incredibly injury prone.

He might have 2 or 3 good years for us before he ends up ina wheel chair.

Taking a 3rd round pick is a no brainer. Especially since signing Rolle is going to cost us a crap ton of cash, no reason to sign an old beat up vet to a ton of money when we could get a 3rd round rookie who is gonna be a lot healthier.

16. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

Rhodes for a 3rd round pick is a heist for Arizona.

He is a known value, worth a tremendous amount in our passing defense, and a draft pick is nothing but unpredictable, a totally 50-50 prospect, if that.

17. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Initially I thought Rhodes for Boldin would be a good deal, but the more I think about it the less I think we really need another impact wideout. In our run heavy offense and with the return of Leon a 2nd round slot WR would be adequate. Rhodes play got a lot stronger towards the end of the season and with some more motivation he is definitely worth more than just a 3rd rounder. I say no go on this deal.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

True but if we end up grabbing Rolle off free agency (which imo is the only way the jets should do this trade) then we get a better safety AND a 3rd round pick.

Which makes it a heist for us

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Give me Arizona's second round pick for Rhodes and let's get it done. I don't want Bolding. He's 29, injury prone and about to ask for a huge contract.

We need to build through the draft and make sure Mangold, Brick and Harris all sign 2nd contracts with the Jets.

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Braylon or Boldin?

I pick Braylon. He's young, fast and isn't injury prone. So I'll take the 3rd plus maybe a conditional since the third is pretty late.