TJ Out of Gas?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Feb 28, 2010.

?

Is TJ Out of Gas?

1. Yes, he's 32 and will continue to perform at the level he had in the playoffs.

71 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No, he was only tired and can still produce as a top running back

46 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know how many people think Thomas Jones is showing his age. TJ Ran for 1,402 yards and 14 TDs last year. He carried the ball 331 times.

Of course he's going to not perform as well in the playoffs as he was beat up after carrying the ball that much. Without him, we'll rely on Greene to carry the ball 250-300+ times next year....he'll show those same signs come playoffs. This is why you have multiple running backs.

Do you guys attribute Thomas Jones' poor playoff performance to his age, and believe he will continue to perform at the level he did in the playoffs? Or was he worn out like any other back would be at that point in the season?

2. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

I think he can still be effective in a split back situation (like it is here) but is too expensive at $5.8 million. Even though he's 32 he has slightly less wear and tear since he barely played until he got to Chicago.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Behind that O-line I could of averaged 2 yards a carry.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yes and where is the I Like Beer option?

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Write in!

...and I love beer!

6. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Good thread. Too many people are on the "TJ will live forever" train. His age will be catching up with him real soon, and I'd rather him not be in a Jets uniform when it does.

#6 dthomas53, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

TJ is no longer a featured back. He's solid, and makes few mistakes. However, much of his 1400 yards were because of our offensive line.

I kind of got tired of watching TJ run directly into the backs of offensive lineman toward the end of the year. Good guy, good player, but the end is here.

8. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

There isn't a running back in this era that can go for over 300+ carries and be the same guy next season. Larry Johnson was a flat out beast. Just like Thomas jones he had a career season then K.C broke the bank for him. He went for exactly 301 carries the previous season and tore it up. Every season after that he shit the bed. Larry Johnson is a few years younger then TJ. Thomas Jones won't be in last season form next season.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I think he can still be effective, but I also don't care and would prefer to see more Greene and Leon anyway, so I think this move benefits the team if they can take that money and put it towards a bigger need.

10. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

I also think he could be effective, but we all saw what happened in the playoffs. Greene was dominating behind our line, Jones is a JAG at this point due a huge roster bonus. I love Jones, but sadly this is a no brainer. I wish he would just say fuck the roster bonus and come back to us at veterans minimum because I think he could still be an asset to the team.

11. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

The mark of a good organization is getting rid of players a year too early rather than a year too late.

Think the Steelers regret giving up Joey Porter even though he racked up sacks for the Dolphins two years ago?

The Jets got a year of mediocrity then two years of outstanding play out of TJ all for the price of trading back in the second round. Take what you got and wish him fairwell.

12. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I'm exited to have Greene and Washington in the backfield, but concerned about insurance/depth as the following scenario's "could" come to pass next year;
    A) Leon isn't the same player after the injury......
    B) Greene is oft injured as we saw this year.....

13. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I'm exited to have Greene and Washington in the backfield, but concerned about insurance/depth as the following scenario's "could" come to pass next year;

A) Leon isn't the same player after the injury......
    B) Greene is oft injured as we saw this year.....

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

TJ stats this year were mainly because of the O Line. He never really made any big runs by himself. He is valuable to have though if you have a powerful O line like ours.

15. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

he looked old and slow when Greene went down Vs Colts

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

...and it is not going to take another 331 carries before he looks like that again.

I wish him the best of luck but I do not think he has much left.

17. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I voted no, because I don't think he will drop off much from last year BUT his success last year was as much due to the OL than to his ability.

He is still servicable, and reported to be a great locker room leader, but just not worth the $$$ he was due. I wish he would have been willing to restructure and stuck around, but he appears a goner.

I think we'll be fine with Greene, Leon, and Chauncey Washington.

18. southwestjet

southwestjet New Member

I hate to see TJ go, but having Greene here is something to look forward to the future. My worry is having an injury happen to Greene, and Leon isn't an every down back, especially in a run first offense. On the bright side it's good to see Leon coming back from the injury. In a perfect world it would be nice to have both TJ and Greene as the double headed monsters in NY.

19. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I agree, Jones is a JAG (who doesn't get hurt or fumble, which makes him a little better than a JAG, but still nothing more than a product of our OL).

20. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

insurance policy

we needed him

stupid to cut him