17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

Thanks LogeSection2RowJ, appreciate the words and you can be sure I will be yelling my lungs out during the games and definitely hope there will be others in my section like me too.

Section227, I did think the reaction was a bit harsh but I'm not one to get drawn into arguments online so I thought just let it be. I totally hear you about how what is going on sucks, it is like a sort of gentrification/organizing people by class, and I think it's both unfair to people who have been loyal fans for years and years and who can not afford the better seats, as well as to the detriment of the atmosphere in the stadium. Growing up neither my family nor I had money to spend in the more expensive parts of whatever sports stadiums (not talking about the Jets, as I was on the waiting list for a really long time and then bought STs on StubHub so I could see the team I love) and I took pride trying to find the loudest and proudest section of fans. Now I'm older I still feel that I want to be loud at the games, but also want to get as good a view as I can if I can afford it.

I suppose I've just taken it as a reality that the new PSL world is what we have, and although I would obviously much rather not pay these prices, I kind of decided to just go with it and not dwell too much on the whole thing. There's no perfect answer to this from what I can see.

Anyway, totally respect your point and hopefully you see mine too.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

When I first heard about the new stadium I was quite excited. My original intention was to remain in my seats (in the Mezz). I was actually hoping that with all the movement and shuffling, I was going to be able to improve my views. Been in nmy seats for 25 years... same place. Never asked for an upgrade, always mailed my check in every year on time, went to most of the games if I could.

And with my seniority (1986), I figured I'm in pretty good shape. But then I realized my four seats would run me $30,000 in PSLs and $400 per game ticket (now $295). It was just way more than I ever dreamed the Jets wouild do to me, especially since the whole "shared" concept was sold to the public as this proposed cost savings. I thought it was a great idea and it heightened my anticipation even more. I still feel more could have been done to make the stadium more affordable. I'm very pissed that (it seems like) the entire cost of the stadium, lock, stock, and barrel, has been placed on the fans' shoulders. And the stadium will supposedely be paifd off in 5 years. What? I own commercial property, and it's unheard of to expect to pay off a new facility in 5 years, I don't care what business you're in. So, yeah, the entire burden was placed on the STHers and damn right I'm pissed. I might have considered staying in my seats at HALF what they're charging, but not at these numbers.

I'll be fine in the uppers with my wife, kids and grandkids on a rotating basis, and we'll see how we like it up there. If not, there will be opportunities that will present themselves, not the least of which are buying better seats online to select games, or picking up a PSL resale (if they're cheap enough) when they hit the market 13 months from now.

Either way, my family's world doesn't revolve around where our seats are located at Jets games. We'll still have as much fun as the next guy when we're in the parking lot and watching the games in the stands. And I do intend to get all my grandkids through college, which is what I did for my kids and very pleased with the results, so, of course, that entered into it too. Seat placement should never come before family college education.

3. JetsSec337Lot13B

If I had the money I would do the same but I don't. I don't judge anyone who purchases whatever. Enjoy the seats and piss off the corporate JOs around you.

4. JetsSec337Lot13B

I see your point but this is part of living in the United States of America. I won't judge someone based on their purchase of PSLs because everyone has a different view on it. If we are going to talk about people enabling the Jets to charge these prices there are lots of other examples in society. Take cigarette smokers. They throw thousands of dollars a year down the toilet every year and will probably die prematurely and screw up their families. By purchasing cigarettes they allow these companies to stay in business and market to younger kids. I'm more concerned about these kinds of things. I'm pissed at how the Jets handled this entire situation but I was left with 2 choices...get rid of my tickets or take my uppers and deal with it. Kind of like people who smoke...quit or be ready to die.

5. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

The original projections for after-tax revenue to be raised by PSL sales for the Giants ($185mm) and the Jets ($170mm) for the stadium construction amount to only about 20% of the $1.7 billion cost.

I hope that makes you at least 80% less pissed. :wink:

6. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

I "sold" 347 to someone for a downpayment of $95x2=$190. Cost of the one worthless Preseason game. Deal is I need the rest when I pony up for season bill in spring or I reneg and give him back his $190 and either keep seat or ask for all my money back. Only reason I am holding is I want an upgrade. Plus really stupid want more chances at a SB seat.

I know it ain't worth more than face. I sat in section 228 row one and those seats I sold the season at a slight loss. Sat up there for eagles game and it was a great view, never had to stand, but a little boring.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

absolutely, thats one of the many reasons to talk about it and let people know what exactly is happening. i dont hate the guy for buying the tickets, i dont like the fact that he is helping to enable the nfl to slowly kill itself by ruining its fanbase.

that is why cigarettes are so heavily taxed and will continue to be taxed to an even higher extent. that is one of those things, do i really want the gov't to tell me what i can and cant do? but on the other hand do I want to pay for this jackasses health care and to take care of his kids after he is dead. thats a whole other 5k post thread :)

i dont hate the guy i hate the situation, its bigger than just that one guy, shit its bigger than the jets, its really a league wide issue. hopefully at some point it can be remedied without changing the game completely, or becoming so obnoxious and over priced that nobody can even afford to watch on tv.

8. JetsSec337Lot13B

All of sports is slowly starting to take a hit. The upper decks in these stadiums are filled but that's about it. The biggest problem in the tri-state area is the number of new stadiums opening. Devils, Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants and in another 2 years the Nets and maybe even the Islanders. Me personally I have had Jets season tickets in my name since I was 11 years old. I'm now 29. I also have a Yankees ticket plan. I take upper deck for both teams and right now can afford both plans. In the future if prices keep jumping up I will have to drop the tickets to 1 team. A lot of people I know have already dropped their tickets to all their sports teams and watch at home.

There are plenty of teams who charge a PSL but there are some extra benefits to their PSLs such as first right to any other event in your seats in that stadium and also price locks. Some teams such as the Cowboys even put a roof on their stadium. I would have gladly paid $2k for shelter over my seat even if it was up in heaven. At least that $2k was something for ME. Right now a PSL does nothing for ME but everything for THEM.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I could not agree more with what you've said. So much money spent on things most of us could care less about. Had we gotten just one or two things to add to our comfort - more covered seats, or faster access in and out, some large bars inside for the average fan, something that adds to the enjoyment of being there, we'd pay extra and enjoy ourselves.

Four big scoreboards and cup holders. That's it. Actually, it might have been better to have two scoreboards (Just one at each end) that were even bigger than these. Why look over at two screens and see double?

Yes, I took the tour today. There was no "wow" factor at all for me. I will say that the lower level is pitched higher making for better view of the field and less chance of others in front blocking your view. I was expecting sales pressure and propaganda from our guide, but the opposite was true. He could not have been nicer and we were able to take our time.

Other than the better views from the first level, there's nothing that seems markedly better than what we had and I mean nothing. I was able to sit in my seats up in 301 and I was happy for one thing - it was the warmest area I had been inside the stadium all day. No kidding. Good sun, no wind. The wind howled west to east and from the concourse upstairs on the racetrack side it was brutal turning into our access tunnel at 301. Once we went through the tunnel, 301 was calm as could be. That was encouraging for me. Today was not cold by recent standards, but it was windy in the meadowlands. Wind and shadow ='s cold, but the sunny uppers weren't bad. If there were a game today, I'd be fine up there. Although the seats are swept back as everyone has said, from my row 8 (301 starts with row 5) My field view began within a yard behind the back of the end zone which was perfect, so it didn't FEEL pushed back. No railings in the way.

I will miss being downstairs though. I noticed that in level one along the sidelines, even in the corners, they have what looks like an open circular concession area right there - with what will probably be beer taps. You could almost see the field from there, though I did say almost. You might see the scoreboards though. That seemed cool. We won't have that in the upper deck.

My biggest concern - and the one thing I regret I didn't think to investigate more today, was the escalator situation. Right before leaving I saw a set of escalators that were set-up where once you exit the top of that flight, you'd need to turn and walk 15 yards to get to where the next flight starts. The stacked escalators appear parallel to each other at an angle, rather than zig-zagged where you'd just pivot to begin the next set of escalator. (Like Shea) Not sure if I am explaining this well, but it looks terrible. Imagine that after each flight down, you have to walk to get to the next set and compete for space at each level with other fans. Potential nightmare that I hope I am wrong about. It could take forever to exit that place from up high. If others have insight, please share. If you have a tour ahead of you, please look for answers. Wish I had. I am dying to know how long it's going to take to get to my seats.

As I mentioned initially while commenting about 337's post, even when Giants Stadium opened, the fact that they had single-escalator access to each level - a far superior design than Shea, Yankee, The Garden - anywhere, was a fan benefit, and probably one we've all taken for granted all these years. This stadium needed some things to take us into the future of stadium design. Something that makes it better for not only the suite holders, but anyone going there for an event. There's really not much if anything like that here. Unless you count waterless urinals.

I have a few photos that most of you will love - if I only knew how to post them. I don't think I have enough posts to do it. Please advise if you can.

10. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

did some reconn last night.i had gone to IKEA in Elizabeth exit 13a off the trnpke,and the bunkbeds we wanted was sold out.but they had it in paramus.it was 920pm and paramus closed at 10pm.i told my wife to go monday while i was at work,but she wanted me to try to make it last night. as i whined about going north my wife the expert at getting what she wants by uses my weaknesses,told me "come on,we can check out Giants stadium and how much has been demolished....."

man she is good. so took exit 16w to 3 west to 17 north to ikea dr.(paramus).getting off at 16w you can only go 3 east b/c the other roads are being updated.i had to drive 1000 ft to exit 120n/3w,doing a figure 8 to get on 3W.if i was going to one of the tailgate areas im thinking about i would take 120N.but that will be in my next reconn mission.

the parking lot was fenced off in different sections with large machinery and pile sof snow and dirt.both spirals of Gate A are demolished and cleared.

on my way back down 17 south i took paterson plank rd exit to 120s which ran behind the racetrack and easily dumped you into the parking Lot 120N.very very easy from 17.

this parking lot is not an easy lot to get to unless you know what you are doing.thus it could make for a gold mine or disaster for the stupid ie joannyd.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

17A welcome to my world we have been parking in 1B ( very close to rte 17 ) for 20 years now it is easily accessable from Paterson Plank Road and from 17 --my group is waiting to hear the final real story about the parking situation next year but as of rite now we fully plan on staying put and parking there again. It was a bit of a walk to get to our seats but I believe the NEW STADIUM and "pepsi corner " are now closer to our tailgate experience.
    I am not sure where this 120 is that you speak of but you and the rest are more than welcome to join us in 1B,,,,,,,,,,,

12. JetsSec337Lot13B

Thanks for the information. Those ecalators sound lousy but I will enjoy being able to make comments to the suiteholders if we have to share them. If you have photobucket you can load the pictures onto their and then put them up on here. If you prefer PM me and I can load them up for you and put them on here.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Thanks for this excellent writeup. This is the first I'm hearing of multiple escalators with distances, no less, between them. You are 100% right about having taken for granted the single-escalators we had at Giants Stadium. It was always a breeze getting out of the Mezz.

Why the hell would you design a stadium with anything other than single-escalators per level? Another major fuckup indeed.

14. RowOneJetFan

RowOneJetFan Guest

2 Jets PSL's Lower Level Section 113 Row 3
    Written by Private Seller

2 New York Jets Lower Level PSLs
    Section: 113
    Row: 3
    Seats: 11, 12
    Price: $55,000.00
    Comments: Cost is $61,400. I am giving buyer a discount, and essentially helping you pay 1 year\'s worth of PSL. Currently subscribed under the 15 years payment plan. Contact me with any reasonable offer. Dead on 50 yard seats.
    on stadium psl.

227 give him your offer!!

15. pantograph3

pantograph3 New Member

Completely agree. Having direct access to your seats via 1 escalator is a great amenity that's lost now for the upper deck fans. Just another thing to add to the list of reasons why the old stadium should not have been knocked down.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's something quite wrong with your math. Let's say that of the 80,000 seats in the stadium, there are 50,000 that have a PSL. The average PSL is, let's say, $7,000. 50,000 seats X $7,000 = 350 Million. The Giants' figures are probably higher, since all 80,000 of their seats have PSLs. So maybe it's $400,000 million. $350M + $400M is $750 million dollars that's being collected by both teams in PSLs (only) the first year, much of it BEFORE THE FREAKING THING IS EVEN FINISHED. The rest is being collected with usary interest rates as high as 8%, which is ridiculous in this economy.

But okay, so both teams have collected $750 millon. Stay with me now. That's before they even sell their first ticket! Add up the cost of all those high-priced tickets (including preseason games) for the first five years and the total revenue approaches the total construction costs. Who gets to build a facility and have it paid for by customers in five years?

And this is before you add up ANY revenue from "naming rights" and advertising,concession rentals, etc. No, I'm still pissed and have every right to be. It didn't have to be this way. Woody had a chance to stand up and go against the grain and tell the Giants to do whatever they wanted and he'll handle his end in his own way, through longer financing strategies or whatever... the way things were done in the old days. But no, the greedy bastards had to hammer the fans and STHers to death in an effort to get it paid for in 5 years, at the STHers expense. It would serve them all right if the stands wind up half empty at some point, becasue no one can afford to go anymore. And the concessioneers and bar tenders can stand their in their "state of the art" lounges and stick their thumbs up their asses waiting to make some money.

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

They still have to pay the players & staff each year

18. Section 227. Row 5

Add it all up and there's still plenty to go around annually while paying off the stadium in 5 years.

The 5 years didn't come from me, BTW, I remember reading it as a stadium target at inception.... 5 years and it's paid off. Guess who's doing the paying.

19. ozu

ozu New Member

Not possible. Pretty sure Woody has no actual role with J&J beyond the familial connection. I think he interned there for a summer when he was a kid but was otherwise shut out by his father/grandfather.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

just finished my daily scout of the new stadium on the webcam. yep my seats are still there