Kiper says we will get Golden Tate.. agree?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmarz45, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Idk if this has been posted i tried searching it didnt work but Mel kiper says we will pick Golden Tate in the 1st round. Before we got Braylon I always said we should draft Tate from ND. I could def see Tate in green and white and I would love to have him as our #3 but I personally think we should go after another solid CB. What do you guys think?

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I would think we can take Kyle Wilson at 29 (or early 2nd should we trade back). However, I wouldn't mind a slot threat.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Not a fan.

If we want a # 3 wr should just grab a free agent.

The jets are a rushing/defense team that has bigger needs to be addressed.

4. dmarz45

Golden Tate is NASTYYYY tho!!! IDK if you saw some of the catches he made for ND this past year but DAMNNNNNNNN!!! but he seems like a RB to me more than a WR...

5. dmarz45

seems like a logical pick since he's from Piscataway, NJ... I would think he would LOVE to be a Jet!!

6. Yes, they are a rushing/defensive team. But guess what? All rushing/defensive teams are GOING to have 3rd and long situations. One of the main keys to this style of team being truly successful is by consistently moving the chains. This keeps the defense fresh and limits the opposing offense's chances to ultimately solve the defensive scheme. Cotchery,Edwards and even Keller are all very good at stretching the field. But the team desperately needs a more effective slot guy,specifically across the middle who can extend some drives, and create some more big plays.

Additionally, Rushing/defensive teams must win the field position battle. It seemed like in 75% of our games, we were up against the wall w/ lousy field position throughout the given contest. That was partially due to having a below average Punter but also b/c we don't have an electrifying punt returner. Although Cotchery is very good with ball security, and has decent vision...he lacks the get away speed to pick up additional chunks of yardage.

My point being that Tate is not only a very good slot receiving prospect, capable of moving the chains by quick patterns across the middle, he is also an outstanding punt return prospect.

Tate instantaneously improves the overall strengths in 2 foundational areas of jets style of play: Ball control and field position.

7. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Leon Washington can catch passes and play RB.

We drafted 3 offensive players last season. Spent a 3rd and 5th already on one for this years draft.

Draft defense!

8. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Exactly. We drafted a guy that reminds me a lot of Tate.

Santana Moss, who was known to disappear for weeks at a time, but nail homerun balls every now and then.

We have several play makers with Leon back. Defensive backfield/line gets some attention here.

9. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

draft the best player available with the exception of a few positions(we know them)

10. dbrodzinski

dbrodzinski Member

If I was the Jets, I'd want to reinforce what I'm already good at, instead of being able to do many things OK. You've already got Leon coming back next year. As a team, they're pretty much set without any major needs, so I'd draft defense. That's how the Jets are gonna win anyway.

Don't like the Golden Tate pick at all.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

If we trade down id def support drafting a slot WR.

But I think we really need to address our pass rushing and corner-back situations with top priority.

12. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised to see us take Golden Tate. Remember that last year we were trying to trade up for Percy Harvin.

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

We wanted Percy Harvin because we didnt have a #1 wr.

We got Braylon Edwards now

14. Vilmalover51

Vilmalover51 Active Member

Golden Tate will be the best player in this years draft class, Bold prediction, dig this thread up in a year

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

IF the jets decided to draft a WR, and they were both available.

Do you think theyd take Tate over Damian Williams ?

Williams and Sanchez are very close and had some chemistry @ USC

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Golden Tate would be awesome, I know we're a defensive minded run-first team but Sanchez needs some weapons out there. Cotch is solid, Braylon is a big play threat every time the ball is thrown in his direction but after that there's nothing. Smith can do everything with the ball but catch the damn thing and Clowney is too busy tweeting to show up in the games (LOL HOLLA!!)

17. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Wouldn't mind.

We need 1 more capable receiver.

We could also go with Shipley in the 2nd round or Freddie Barnes in the later rounds

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Giants have pretty decent WR depth already, but I guess they could use another solid guy

19. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Our passing offense was 31st in the league last year. We obliviously need tio focus more on offense this offseason then defense.

20. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I'm bias since I'm an Irish fan. But..

This guy is a gamer, he has developed great hands, and he can be used in a number of ways. I'd love to pick him up! Although, I think there are bigger needs.