Asomugha wants to be a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by InRevisWeTrust, Feb 1, 2010.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

:beer::beer:
    Apparently you, like me, want to illicit a negative response, and don't have the mental ability to read between the lines of what he said.

I expect this from me, but I'm surprised at you.:beer:

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

If there is no cap, there is no bottom. Small market teams can spend like the Pirates and Royals in baseball, which will cost the players money.

There will be a capwhen the new deal is reached. Hopefully before they do something stupid like a lock out or strike.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

The cap is pretty much a foregone conclusion. The point of contention at this juncture is what percentage of league revenues the cap will be...and how those revenues are calculated.

4. Paraphoe

Paraphoe New Member

......Wtf?

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I agree with the writer when he says that Asumugha's contribution to the team is not enough to make a difference for the Raiders. Davis really is the wild card in this idea that doesn't make Asomugha to the Jets a complete impossibility. If he requests a trade, the Jets could get him for a reasonable price...provided Davis does not play the "tampering" card.

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This was on ESPN....

Its clear that Rex wants an elite D and that the secondary is possibly the weakest link, certainly at the end of last season. I'm 99% certain we will get another top corner joining us, be that in a trade or draft.
    Maybe this deal isn't that far fetched afterall.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Al Davis also said he would be willing to part with Aso. His reason? He hasn't won a SB with him here yet. I read that in the Merc, I'll see if I can find the article online.

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Haha, Al's an alzheimer's legend. Make it happen Al !!

10. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

All of a sudden, I find myself praying for Al Davis to keep on living.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Bad news http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=56540

"Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said he was joking about playing for the Jets. But if he wondered what it would be like to deal with East Coast media, consider that door officially slammed shut.

Asomugha told The Chronicle today "the story is totally overblown" about him saying he wants to play for the Jets with Darrelle Revis.

Asomugha said this was a two-way joke that took on a life of its own in an ESPN story of it.

"The only thing we were 'dead serious' about was the fact that it would be fun to one day play on the same team," Asomugha said by email. "That's all. We were two guys enjoying the Pro Bowl and completely clowning around during the week. We were playfully recruiting each other; I was talking about getting him to Oakland and vice versa."

Asomugha said he has no intentions of leaving Oakland. Fact is, he couldn't anyways. He signed a record-setting three-year contract last year.

"I'm a proud Oakland Raider so you can erase any thoughts of me wanting to go somewhere else. If we can add some players from the Pro Bowl to the Raiders, then that would be great. In the meantime, let's not make something out of nothing."

12. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Then again another California news article on why the Raiders SHOULD trade him to ny

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14314290

"Get rid of Nnamdi? The sanest voice in the NFL's looniest locker room? The Raiders' best player, at least among those who don't kick a football for a living?

Yes, yes and yes. Do the deal, as long as Al Davis nabs a franchise-saving package of draft picks and players in return."

"What could the Jets give up in return? They've got draft picks (29th overall this year, a first-rounder next year to replace the one Oakland gave up for Seymour in 2009). Other bait: an expendable quarterback in Kellen Clemens, a restricted free agent in wide receiver Braylon Edwards and a draft bust in defensive end Vernon Gholston, whom Davis might eye as a trademark reclamation project (along with the current JaMarcus Russell project).

One team's trash (and a slew of draft picks) could be treasure in Davis' mind. If Davis fails to make good with that incoming bounty, it could convince him to hire a personnel czar."

"Trading away Asomugha won't guarantee success, either. But an attractive, meaty deal — plus a heady combination of other personnel moves, including the release of Russell — might stop the Raiders' slide."

13. timdastis

timdastis New Member

via PFT

Posted by Josh Alper on February 3, 2010 11:29 AM ET
    Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha responded to the strong reaction to comments he and Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis made about their desire to play together in the future. He said the whole thing is a case of joking around being blown out of proportion.

"The only thing we were 'dead serious' about was the fact that it would be fun to one day play on the same team," Asomugha said in an email to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle. "That's all. We were two guys enjoying the Pro Bowl and completely clowning around during the week. We were playfully recruiting each other; I was talking about getting him to Oakland and vice versa."

The reason why any deal was made about the comments to Tim Graham of ESPN.com is that Asomugha said that the two cornerbacks had approached Jets coach Rex Ryan with their plans of playing together. That raises the issue of tampering, although the nature of their comments in total would put the Raiders at some risk if they were to engage in an unlikely pursuit of Revis.

Whether or not Asomugha's email is enough to put off a tampering investigation and/or penalty remains to be seen.

Asomugha said that he's a "proud Oakland Raider" and has no intention of leaving the team that's made him a very rich man and could soon make him even richer than expected. Asomugha is due to make $16.8 million in 2011, but that number could go up if Peyton Manning and the Colts agree on a new deal.

Asomugha's contract states that he will be paid $16.8 million or the average of the top-five quarterback salaries, a number that would almost certainly escalate if Manning re-negotiates his contract to become, as Colts owner Jim Irsay promised, the league's highest paid player.

14. Keithnyj

Keithnyj Member

This could possibly be a cover up though so no one gets charged for tampering!

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well he has to say he is proud to be a raider and blah blah blah. Plus this should put to rest the tampering charges. Also in 2 years Aso would be an FA, and free to sign with any team, or in the case of this speculation the NYJ. Aso has no ability to force Davis to trade him anywhere, much less to NY. So yeah, this shouldnt put to rest speculation of the possibility we reach out to see what is required to get Aso, just that the possibility that a trade actually occurs, was hit with a big dose of reality, or in other words about 89% unlikely to happen.

Note: 89% not an exact percent, but more aptly a guesstimation.

16. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

hooray! No tampering charge!

17. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

haha.. well, here is to always looking at the bright side of things.. :beer:

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I guess. The most likely thing to come out of that whole story was tampering charges to be filed, not Aso wearing Green.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Players joking with the Pro Bowl saying that they want to play with their friends? Get outta here!

There's nothing to this other than that Revis and Aso are friends. Any team in the league, including the Jets, would love to have him, and I'm sure Tanny will inquire. But if the Raiders move him right now, they're more nuts than I thought. And I think they're pretty crazy already.

20. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

why though?.. yes nnamdi is amazing.. but the raiders suck.. and they havent been productive outside of helping other teams make it to the playoffs by pulling out some insane wins...

And trading him now would be there best option.. no cap hit next season.. and aso stock is probably as high as it will ever be.. I'm not saying it is likely to happen.. but it wouldn't be a terrible move by the raiders ..