Asomugha wants to be a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by InRevisWeTrust, Feb 1, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Why? Most people "in the know" are saying it will never come back if it goes away. I don't understand why people keep saying it's going to come back.

2. deef

deef Member

So what would this defense be called, the Island of Lost Souls?

BTW Boomer and Carton were just talking about this. Technically, according to the discussion, Rex doesn't have to even say anything for it to be tampering. Uh oh! They also brought up the fact that unfortunately the Jets now have a recent history of this accusation b/c of Crabtree and Braylon. However, they said there are gray areas and it's unlikely the league would do anything about this especially under these circumstances. Still makes me nervous...

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's going to come back because the NFL will become just like MLB if it doesn't. If that happens the NFL will never be the biggest sport again.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

Well there's people in the know, and then there's Don.

The NFL was doing pretty well prior to the cap, wasn't it?

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Believe it or not, I have to agree with Don. :shit:

There's been a HUGE spike in the NFL's popularity since they've changed the league's structure in regards to free agency and the salary cap. (players wanted the former, owners got the latter)

While it has watered down the quality of top teams (rare to see a legendary team anymore) it has made the other markets more viable with parity keeping most fans interested throughout the season until the end (sans the Lions, Raiders and recently Rams.....)

6. WhiteShoeWillis

Is the popularity of the sport relevant to the CBA negotiations (I'm asking)? One party in that negotiation is blatantly saying "we will never agree to a cap again if it goes away."

Football was doing fine prior to the cap, I think it will survive without it.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

They could always negotiate in a salary floor without a cap, or a cap as a percentage of previous years' salaries, or some such calculation. Bit more fluid, whilst still compelling teams to pay out for players.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

the players are also going to want an open market to take advantage of the salary cap being gone... no way do the owners allow free agency to continue as it currently exists without a salary cap. i suspect the nfl owners win this battle. what that will eventually look like i have no idea, but i feel we will all view the owners as the winners of this dispute in the end.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

i for one would like the cap to stay. I think the teams all having the same opportunity to build through FA and such is a great thing for the league.

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

its really what makes it such a great sport, even these teams that are down right awful have the ability to turn things around in 2-3 years, and make them selves playoff teams and possibly championship contenders.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Funny thing, If Asomugha REALLY wanted to come to the Jets, I would have thought NFL network would be all over this in whats usually a slow week before the SB.

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I just wish Aso didn't say anything, because that may hurt this happening(and its driving me crazy right now)

the season isnt even 100% over yet, and the offseason trade/signings are driving me insane.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

considering Revis isn't going anywhere, the only other option they could be speaking of is the Jets. most people possess the ability to grasp meaning without it having to be stated blatantly for them, because you lack such a simple abilitydoesn't change the meaning of the quote.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That part of the quote was probably meant to save the Jets some misery. Nnamdi is a smart guy, anyone who thinks playing in Oakland is something he is happy with is missing something upstairs - or is just trying to provoke a negative response.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I believe it is. Baseball was #1 in the country not too long ago.

Yes, the sport was doing "fine" but it has since become the revenue producing beast that it is today.
    True football fans are true football fans, but I think the parity has drawn in the fringe folks to tune in throughout the season as their team is rarely eliminated until the end (think of all the DirecTV/sunday ticket$$), not to mention naysayers (of smaller markets) saying "well, they bought a better team" (like many people say of the Yankees)

Not saying it's right or wrong, just an observation.....

16. franzman9

franzman9 Member

If this guy really wants to come to the Jets, he should be willing to worth with us on any deal and we may be able to get him relatively cheap for a shut down corner. If we add someone like this to our team right now, and trade back in the draft and get some good depth, this team could be the team to beat for years and years to come. With our head coach being a "rebellious" coach, I think their is a real chance that we could bring Aso to the Jets.

I cant imagine seeing this team improving any more on defense, but if we land this guy, we could have one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. Especially if Gholston can take his tampon out and start laying some wood on the opposing quarterbacks.

Lets just hope the guys in the front office are really dedicated to bringing a superbowl to the New York Jets and we make this actually happen instead of just getting the fans hopes up.

17. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Thank you for the laugh!

18. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

I was thinking the same thing.. If some crazy shit did go down.. and we would obtain Aso.. for whatever Oak wanted... wouldn't all these "prior conversations" hold a higher priority in a tampering case??

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I have not read anywhere that the cap won't come back. That is not even what they are fighting about. It's revenue distribution.

You might as well get rid of 6 or 8 small market teams if the cap goes away for good.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Players say this stuff all the time at the Pro Bowl.

Things rarely come out of it.

And Aso never said he wanted to be a Jet. He said he wanted to play with Revis. The team he namedropped, in fact, was Oakland, not New York.