Should we take a look at Osgood?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

How would you guys feel about bringing Kaseem Osgood in?

He's gone to the pro Bowl the last 2 years as the ST ace for the AFC but wants to move on from the Chargers because he wants to play WR too (not only that but also that, big difference).

If we get him we'd improve our ST greatly + we'd have a 6'5 WR which is something we are really lacking IMO.

We could easily convince him he could get all the opportunities in the world to play WR here since, behind Cotch and Edwards (in THAT order :smile:) there isn't a precise hierarchy.

I like Wallace Wright but this guy is clearly better than him at ST and on O...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/bolts-blog/2010/jan/28/osgood-wants-be-receiver-too/

Osgood wants to be a receiver too

Kevin Acee

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Kassim Osgood loves San Diego and loves the Chargers. San Diego and the Chargers love Osgood back.

Osgood, at his third Pro Bowl in three years as the AFC's Special Teamer, is popular in the community. The San Diego State alum loves Southern California. He is also one of general manager A.J. Smith's favorite players. The Chargers would love to have him back and, according to Osgood, have told him so.

But Osgood, an unrestricted free agent, wants to be a receiver. And actions speak louder than words.

Osgood has over the past five seasons caught just five passes, including one in the past two.

"I'm just waiting for someone to say, 'Let's maximize our potential out of this guy rather than just get one thing,' " Osgood said today. "I want to contribute in all ways, shapes and forms."

Osgood voiced his love for San Diego and desire to remain with the Chargers. But asked if he would choose another team that promised him he could play receiver, he said, "I'm always going to go for more work."

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

6'5" receiver that plays for the Chargers? There's a shocker...

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Our recieving group is sooo short.

Edwards at 6'3", B. Smith 6'2", Wright at 6'1", Cotchery 6'0", Clowney 6'0" whoever is the 6th WR will prob be a slot so not so tall + Keller who is 6'2" as a TE.

I'm not saying we need a group of basketball players on O but at least 1 tall guy could turn out useful... pluse, again, he's a heck of a ST guy.

4. ........

........ Trolls

I think you're going for a record for most threads started in a day.

As far as Osgood, he's not exactly young. The guy will be 30 soon, and he still hasn't proven he can do much on offense. I don't know that I use one of our limited FA spots on a guy who, despite ideal size, and despite the opportunities afforded by a San Diego receiving corps whose starting positions have been in flux, hasn't been able to see the field more often outside of ST.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

"Greatly" improve special teams? I don't know about that. Osgood might be a ST ace but from what I've seen he commits more than his fair share of penalties. We have a good ST already and Wallace Wright is very good at what he does. Plus I don't see any reason to assume he'll work out on offense. He's made 5 catches in the last 5 years and he's not getting any younger.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Ah but I actually just woke up... so it's two days for me :p

I think he was getting that much space in SD because his main assett is bringing his elite frame to the table... on a team with three starting 6'5" WRs they don't need that skillset a lot. While on a shorter team (like ours) we could benefit from having 1 WR like that at least in red zone situations. Not everyone, just one.

he isn't just a good ST... 3 pro bowls in the last 4 years :)

#6 Mambo9, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. ........

........ Trolls

But that team has only had that front with 3 starting 6'5" WRs for part of one season. Vincent Jackson has been on the team since '05, and '06 was his first full time season. He wasn't a starter until '08. Malcolm Floyd barely played until '08. Naanee barely played until this season.

All three of those guys came along AFTER Osgood, and all three of them moved past Osgood on the WR depth chart. It isn't like this is Osgood trying to fit in on a team with tall receivers. This is Osgood simply not being as good as any of those receivers.

ST ace or not, it's a waste of a valuable UFA spot.

8. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

I'd take him. A tall wide reciever in the red zone would help.

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards is plenty tall enough.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

He's the only one and he's only 6'3" (although he can jump a lot) considering how short our TEs are(is) I'd like one more big guy!

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Here's how I see it being called by Bob WeiselSchusen:

"Sanchez from the shotgun, has time, throws a bomb down the sideline! T.O. has it! Touchdown Jets!"

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

exactly what we need.a 32 y.o. egotistical w.r who drops more balls than b.e.
    and destroys every team he goes to.the bills don't count they were fucked up already.

13. All Star

All Star Active Member

He's tall!!

No one can cover him!

Let's get him!

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

most CBs are 5-10 to 6-1.

6'3 is very tall, 6'2 works fine as well.

Osgood has caught 5 passes in 5 years. He can't do shit.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Time for you to create another "Would Leon return at full strength?" thread. Or another one of your "Kierra Rhodes just tweeted" threads.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Haha... you don't like this thread don't bother reading it... I'm not adoctor so I don't know if Leon will return at full strength and I don't care what Kerry tweets (except for THAT time)...

I'm asking an opinion on a FA that is revelvant (3 Pro Bowls, not an average camp fodder)... why do you have a problem with that?

17. Satire?

Satire? Guest

If Malcolm Floyd was available that'd be your guy...

18. 624

624 Banned

What the hell are you talking about? Sure, he has started a lot of threads but does it really matter? They are good quality threads so I could care less who made them.

Stop whining

19. ........

........ Trolls

No one is disputing what he's done on ST. The problem is, he obviously doesn't care as much about the ST right now. He's focused on playing receiver somewhere, and he doesn't have the skills to suddenly develop into a dominant receiver at the age of 30. He's had SEVEN seasons to do that, and he's STILL just a ST guy. If this were an average year with average rules, he'd be worth a look. However, when we have ZERO free agent spots right now and only gain one when we lose one of our UFAs, it's not the time to be considering a shitty receiver just for his ST ability.

In essence, to sign him, we have to refuse to tender Wallace Wright, let him sign with someone else, and then hope that Osgood opts to sign with us for a comparable contract. We can't risk losing our best ST guy on the hopes that it'll work out with Osgood, and that he'll take a similar contract.

20. Sanchez All Day

Sanchez All Day New Member

Why Osgood? Random, no?