Don't Rule Out a Big Addition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

tj looks like a good fit n cleveland

2. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Ummm... I like our OLBs. I do not believe in upgrading CB through FA as you get older guys like Lito who you end up paying more for due to past performance. I like Bryan Thomas and I like Calvin Pace, I do not think the answer is spending big money. If we could find a lower price situational-type pass rusher that we could pay less for and have him in on passing downs that would be ideal.. We need to find the diamonds in the rough, just like the Pats do.. Do you see the Pats going out every year and spending big money on free agents? Nope. They have the right bluerprint, find the diamonds in the rough and draft well and you don't have to worry about messing up a team which I think has fantastic chemistry. Yeah we didnt get a crapload of sacks, but guess what: We were the number one defense in the league. So explain to me why we need to do anything except get a number two corner? A good DE or two to rotate in and rest Douglas and Ellis would be a good start FA-wise.

3. 17a_tailgater

i want someone who has the eye of the tiger on the line.a fire , non stop motor.joe klecko type

4. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

How so? He will absolutely die playing in back of that OL the way he runs Won't even surpass 700 yds.

5. adamson

adamson New Member

would be nice

6. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

We're talking about the Raiders.

There is no method to that madness.

7. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Why is Peppers ruled out as a possible addition so quickly? To franchise the guy would cost a fortune and if I'm not mistaken he is an URFA.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Because to sign Peppers, we would have to have FAs leave and sign with other teams for equivalent money that we sign Peppers for, or so the rumor goes for the uncapped season.

9. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Maybe we could send them Rhodes & our 5th for Seymour and Asamugha. Knowing Al Davis he will probably throw in a late rounder as well.

10. 17a_tailgater

SSSHHHHH MANGINI READS THIS BOARD..

HE WOULD GIVE US HIS 2ND & 4TH PICK FOR TJ

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can someone explain how the Jets would dump Gholston?

His contract makes him untradeable, no team wants to pay the guaranteed money for his dumb ass.

12. phitzc

phitzc New Member

here is a good write up from footballs future website

Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos (26)
    Dumervil has become one of the league?s best pass rushers and a potential candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. He leads the league with 15 sacks, with 11 coming on 3rd down. He excels in using his long arms and hands to keep defenders off his body, despite his unconventional proportions. The Broncos will find a way to retain their most prized asset on defense, probably by throwing high-end outside linebacker coin in his direction. Dumervil has already exceeded 40 sacks and is one forced fumble away from 10 in his short 4-year career. Playing a position of great need in any good 3-4 defense, Dumervil will sit with a lot of leverage if a CBA is agreed upon and he is able to become an unrestricted free agent.

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

That's my understanding from what I've heard too. I can't see how we would release $20mil (or thereabouts) worth of players in order to sign one dude. IMO, blowing a bunch of new holes in our depth just to reach for someone who might get us a few more sacks next season would be a boneheaded move.

14. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

Dumervil is not a good fit for a 3-4 defense, sorry.

15. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

+1..Peppers would be but I guess this is not a possibility.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

this is one of the more frustrating threads i've read in a while.

17. ........

........ Trolls

It's not a rumor. You can read the rule in its entirety on the NFL Players Association website:

http://www.nflplayers.com/user/template.aspx?fmid=181&lmid=231&pid=549&type=c

From Article XXI:

Section 4:

In order to sign a player like Seymour or Peppers, we'd have to first see a UFA from our team sign with another club and THEN would have to get them to sign a contract equivalent to that player's. It's absurd to think of any of our free agents commanding the same kind of money as Seymour or Peppers.

18. ........

........ Trolls

No, you're wrong. We have Philly's 5th.