why didnt we pound manning?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jan 25, 2010.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, you are, especially if you think the fact that we did not hit him equates to not trying to hit him, not to mention the huge difference between getting pressure on somebody within the boundaries of the rules and playing dirty.

I hate to break that to you, but not playing dirty has nothing to do with football ethics, and has to do with being professionals who play within the boundaries of the game and respect for one another as, essentially, coworkers.

if you are going to make an assertion that you aren't the imbecile, you probably place it within a stream of asinine

2. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

he picked apart lowery on all those short little slant and out routes, even if you brought eight guys its a timed pass that takes no time at all to get rid of the ball. Next year we will have that fuck figured out.

3. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

:rofl: Well, why didnt he?

4. L Washington29

L Washington29 New Member

Is this guy asking why we didn't put a bounty on Manning and hit him illegally/take cheap shots at him?

People like that is what could give Jets fans a bad reputation. Get the f*ck out of here with garbage, how about we just try to hit him legally which we were able to do in the 1st quarter? Rex Ryan isn't a dirty douchebag and has a ton of respect for Manning. The fact that you were looking for a cheap way to win is a disgrace. This thread needs to be deleted.

5. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

i'm not sure how much clearer i can get this for you. did you watch the saint vikings game or not? obviously you didnt or you wouldnt be playing your harp of playing football in a nice way. farve was hit and hit and hit again. was it dirty? how many flags hit the ground during that game? who won the game? if you believe that neutalizing an opposing qb by hitting him even unnecessarily, is unethical, then you need to stop watching football. the game may prove to harsh for your angelic beliefs. football is not a game for the wuss at heart.

6. tbruner12

read the opening post. nowwhere does it say head hunt. my head hunting post was a sarcastic remark, that some have taken literally to heart. i was stating that there are brands of getting after the qb, and the saints did it to a level that i believed that we should have attempted against manning. then i get all this crap about unethical play. is this board full of manning lovers, or a bunch of softies?

7. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember that Manning could have been the #! overall to the Jets back in the 1997 draft, but he didnt want to come to New York so he stayed in school. Its funny how he didnt want to come to the big apple but his brother did.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually it's a good question and it has a very simple answer. We pressured Manning until Strickland got hurt and then the quality of the defensive backs remaining did not allow us to do that any more so we stopped.

We lost that game because of two in-game injuries. Strickland got hurt and the blitzing was toned way down and then Greene got hurt and we lost the offensive ground and pound flow.

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Good points, much better than my answer. I wasn't giving Strickland enough credit in terms of what he allows the front 7 to do. He's no Revis but he was certainly better than the alternatives.

10. tbruner12

i agree with what you say 100%, but isnt sheppard considered to be our best corner other than revis? didnt sheppard play alot of man to man with heavy blitzing in his career before the jets? if strickland is better than sheppard, then we should drop his over priced ass in a few weeks? us losing greene killed our offense, but i could find no reason to slow down our rush regardless of our corners abilities or in-abilities. manning had way too much time back there and he made us pay. i do hope the saints win, since its obvious that i want mannings head on a platter.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

nobody has said anything about ethics or nice other than you. it's your need to reduce my position to that that needs to be corrected, not my concept of football and business watching it.

12. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Fair assessment for sure.
    That and Peyton is just damn GOOD.

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Honestly the Lineman and LB's were tired and it showed by time the 2nd Quarter came to a close ... The tank just emptied out

14. tbruner12

i owe you nothing other than a smart ass remark, seeing that you called me a fucking imbecile, because i stated that we should have gotten after manning harder than we did. you came at me with all this bullshit about playing within the rules, and playing the game with integrity, which is reasonable. but i was not for one minute saying that we should have tried to hurt the man. did you watch the saint-vikings game? that was a perfect example for getting after the qb within the rules, even though alot of the roughness was overlooked. as far as me reducing your position, you did that on your own with a personal attack. hey ,its up to you if you think that football should be played in a nice manner, while wearing pink outfits. i like it when players dont say that they are sorry for tackling the qb in a rough manner.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

When I looked at the game, one thing stood out.

Well - maybe I'm more fond of Dick LeBeau school of zone blitzing than Rex Ryan school of blitzing, but FWIW, what I saw was that Jets DL just never commanded double team. No one. All the down linemen got picked up by LG/C/RG, 1) leaving LT and RT to pick up the outside rushers and 2) not giving any free lane for the ILBs to exploit.

This is not how 3-4 defense is supposed to run. Because Jets DL - especially DEs - never got double team, that consequently resulted in blitzing LBs getting picked up at the line. This meant that Manning had all the space in the pocket to step up, and he had no problem with the visibility, sitting comfortably behind the pocket. When the DLs command double team, this does not happen. The QB will have 3 clusters (that's where 3 DL are picked up) and then ILBs can flow right in between the gap. If the DLs are not double-teamed, then the pocket collapses where double-teaming didn't happen - which results in the QB flushing out of the pocket, which is another (minor) goal of the DL.

Also, because the DL didn't have that physical presence, that hurt the edge rush as well. This all adds up to Manning having ungodly amount of time to find an open receiver.

I don't know how Rex is going to approach this - if I can have my say in it, I would say Jets need to get big and physical up front. Getting Jenkins back is the first step in the right direction, but they will need another physical presence like Seymour.

16. colts fan

colts fan New Member

Cheap shot

I am watching the game on DVR and I noticed when Addai fumbled with 3:52 left in the 2nd quarter how Lowery attempted to blast Manning when he was trying to run away from the fumble.

Maybe (pure speculation) that justified the hit on Sanchize by Bullit...go at ours and we go at yours mentality... Look at the play and you will laugh like I did too...

17. tbruner12

in defense of my jets and fair play(wink,wink), manning became a blocker/fumble recovery possibility so any cheap shot on manning becomes fair play. sanchez was a qb that got hit after handing the ball off or throwing it (i'm not sure which one he had just done), so to me its a penalized play. besides, manning is a much bigger man than lowery, so it seems unfair to me that manning was abusing lowery!

18. colts fan

colts fan New Member

Ha ha ha...and many people claim Peyton isn't quick...he looked like a Matador after the fumble :)

19. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Dude it was a 1, 2, 3 drop back and hit the inside slant practically all game long Instead of Lowery(if he had over the top help) jumping the route or batting the ball down. he opted to try and strip the ball after the receiver caught it... Any QB will have an easy time passing if thats the case

20. tbruner12

its no secret to the people that are around me, that i dont put manning in the category of top 5 qb's of all time. i respect him in every sense except that he is no joe montana (the greatest of all time imho due to his ability to ignore pressure of all kinds), but i hope he gets his opportunity in the superbowl to lead his team on a game winning drive with less than 2 minutes to go like montana against the bengals in their second superbowl meeting, or vaunted doomsday defense of dallas in 81 nfc championship. if he does i will think of manning in a different way. i dont blame manning for avoiding contact whenever he can. he knows how important his health is for his team and himself. i just hope that the superbowl isnt over by the end of the 3rd qtr, and is a good game to the wire.