Don't Rule Out a Big Addition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Hes a big part of this offense and is a dynamic player when hes on the field. Leon and Shonn on the field together could really make things happen.

2. ........

........ Trolls

We will not be signing Peppers. We don't have an exemption. The only good news is that Kirwan's explanation of the rules was WRONG. Our one for one rule actually DOES apply to players who enter free agency as free agents. We are UNLIMITED in our ability to sign players who acquire their status via cuts.

I doubt you'll see us getting any big FA acquisitions. Remember how quickly the top free agents went off the market last year? Teams couldn't wait for the signing period to start so they could woo those top free agents. Well, guess what? We're unable to do any negotiating until we actually lose a free agent. Can you picture anyone on the roster who is going to be a first day signing? How about a signing significant enough to match a quality replacement? We are limited in our signing of new free agents by the first year contract of the player they're replacing.

Our best bet is to apply low round tenders to guys like Kellen Clemens and hope that teams become desperate by the lack of quality UFAs. A wealth of draft picks will serve us better this offseason than free agency will.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Those 2 are both solid all around OLBs but we need one of our OLBs to be able to rush the passer consistently as we can't expect our secondary to cover forever on every play.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Why the hell would we trade him? If we don't come to terms on a contract, we'll apply a high tender. He's a RFA. We can keep him on the team for at least one more season to prove his worth before committing to him in the form of a high contract.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What the fuck is with people wanting to sign Peppers?

Do any of you pay attention to anything?

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

dude he's like a 93 in madden

7. ........

........ Trolls

You, more than anyone, should know the answer to that question. Most people hear rumors that the Pats were interested in him and assume that we should rush out and try to sign him. Apparently, they long for our days with little brother syndrome. "What's good for the Pats is GREAT for the Jets!"

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Cap? What cap?

9. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Yeah, I don't want him at all.

I'd rather sign/trade for guys in the secondary and on the DL, then address OLB and WR in the draft.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I want defense...I want the nastiest meanest, scariest, group of bad mother fuckers off the chart hard hitting scum bags in the league. I want the entire league to fear, loathe and hate us for years to come...

I just want the toughest mother fuckers alive...Bring em to the hudson and get them ready to fuck shit up.

11. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

in a 3-4, pressure comes from not simply beating your guy, it's from the offense not knowing where the next punch is coming from. you can line up everybody on the line a la the 46 defense or do zone blitzes and overloads and all sorts of crazy stuff that rex likes to do.

i also think pace is underrated in his pass-rushing. he had 8 sacks in just 12 games. extrapolated over 16 games, that's 10.5-11 sacks, which is as good as/better than Julius Peppers, Andre Carter and DeMarcus Ware. would Peppers get more sacks in our scheme? probably, but it's maybe 2 extra sacks per year, not 5-10.

our focus should be on finding a DE that's stout at the point of attack and can rush the passer when necessary. Ellis fits that mold pretty well. DeVito has the potential to be that guy, but is better for depth until he proves he can handle the load. a true 3-4 DE is what we should be looking for (in the Seymour mold).

as far as other posters saying we should grab TO or Peppers, they're not Jets. too prima-donna, not tough enough and too often throw their teammates under the bus. they'll have other suitors for them, but they're not going to be Jets.

adalius thomas could play for us if he takes a big paycut and serves as ILB depth, but he's not going to start.

chad pennington could certainly get a training camp invite, but that's about as much we'd reach out to him. too much risk of injury there.

mostly, i think we'll upgrade through the draft. we'll have a 1st round tender on braylon, leon, maybe even brad smith. we'll hopefully get a nibble or two from somebody and get a couple more picks to play with.

12. greenpower

greenpower New Member

:rofl: that's just what we need, over 30 year old guys that are on the downside of their career.

13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

No way in hell TO comes here.

14. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

If we have to lose a player to sign a player of equal caliber. Who is it that we are losing??

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Not a free agent but damn it's Ironic

[​IMG]

16. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

If they could somehow get Dumervil, that might be the missing piece.

17. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Pass rushing DE in a 3-4? That's dumb and unrealistic. Get a pass rushing OLBer, that's what we need.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

do you think abe would have been playing Sunday with a club on his hand? probably not.

19. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

What about Osi, I know hes unhappy with the Giants and probably wants to stay in NY? Maybe they can get him for a discount.

20. DieHardJetsFan60

DieHardJetsFan60 New Member

We need a DeMarcus Ware!