Don't Rule Out a Big Addition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

The Jets will have room to sign one FA due to what we will be letting go to FA.

But don't rule out the Jets making a big splash this offseason. Tanny is big on the trade and I wouldn't be surprised if we see him package some sort of deal for a playmaker. He is very keen to the trade and I expect there will be another one or two coming this offseason to fill some holes.

I do expect we will see our pass rushing DE coming via trade and a CB coming via free agency.

2. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Get Peppers. That's all.

3. TurkJetFan

Getting Peppers is unrealistic..

He is going to be a FA and he may be franchised which would give him 20$ plus for one year, making him the highest paid player at his position for one year in NFL history. The Jets will not make that trade nor should they. Since the Jets will likely have to trade 2011 draft picks, I would not mortgage that one a possible one year rental.

Rex has an eye for the undrafted guy or the guy that he can shape into a great player.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I wouldn't get your hopes up, Turk......The Jets are clearly on the cusp of becoming an elite presence in this league. I would expect the Jets to do most of their damage in the draft...to restock the shelves.

With a few roleplayer type FA signings...to fill the remaining holes.

5. TurkJetFan

the problem is how many signings are we going to be able to make.

And I think they will trade a current player plus future draft picks

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone will get him for 20 dollars.

7. TurkJetFan

what do you mean?

8. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Oh well, what do you guys think of these players

Elvis Dumervil-Broncos
    Aaron Kampman-Green Bay coming off an injury though.
    Does Jevon Kearse still have it?
    Richard Seymour?

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

not sure how many....and you could be right about the trade for future draft pics scenario.

But for the folks pining for Peppers, or Dansby, or Dunta Robinson.....don't get your hopes up. The team has great chemistry right now....I don't think the coaching staff will mess with that too much....unless it's a dire need.

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

filler.....................

11. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Hasn't Peppers been known for taking plays off and having an inconsistent motor? If so, I don't want him.

I could see a big CB or DE addition though. Someone brought up Anthony Gonzalez too, he's probably the 5th option there now and could be cut.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

disagree.tanny has stated a few times he does not like to trade future picks."pay all the bills in the same year" was his statement.i'm not optimistic about a bg addition this year.i think every team is gonna be very conservative until the cba issue is hashed out.probably grab a few guys who can compete for starting tiime at olb,cb, and the draft will fill the bench.

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I think signing Peppers is a realistic scenario.

I doubt Carolina will franchise him again for a variety of reasons. They drafted a potential replacement last year in Everette Brown and the organization may be hesitant to overpay a thirty year old possible malcontent.

Peppers has made it known that he'd like to play for a 3-4 defense and quite frankly, who would you rather play defense for than Rex Ryan?

The only sticking point might be some animosity between Jenkins and Peppers. I know they don't get along very well, but money is money and football is football.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Who do you think the Jets are losing?

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I think it's highly unlikely that Dumervil hits the market but if he does, that's the guy I want.

Of course, we'd have about 20% of our salary cap sunk into four outside linebackers.

16. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

They have to bring new guys in and knowing Rex, he will quickly integrate guys into his philosophy, so expect upgrades at a few positions. If we don;t do anything were just losing to the Colts again and who wants that?

17. AKoffjet

AKoffjet New Member

right on. and for as much as we blitz, we really dont get that many sacks - so its a pretty dire need

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

we have a solid enough nucleous that we don't need to mortgage the future on a big $ FA.
    I say let's tweak a few positions of need through FA but build through a solid draft. We don't have to necessarily get the hot FA on the market but just some hard nosed play like hell guys who can upgrade some key spots.
    Our secondary was exposed and while i love Strickland when he plays the guys just not on the field enough. We are in need of another guy back there.
    Obviously a pass rusher on the DL is a need, also.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

we're just losing to the Colts again?

we were without our Defensive and Offensive MVP's from 2008, S.Green leaves the game, and our secondary was banged up.

And we were leading at the half!

I don't think we're in dire need of high priced FA's.......they're nice to have....but this isn't 2007. We need to build this team thru the draft.....like real playoff contenders.

20. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

We need a stud 3-4 pass rusher bro. Do you understand how much nastier this makes our defense? Mega nasty.