Best half of Manning's career

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Jan 25, 2010.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

How can anybody be proud of ripping Drew Coleman a new one?......fuck off, Archie.

3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

.......yea, against a #3 and #4 CB for like 23 of his 26 completions. Yea, I'd be real proud of that one too......

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You go where the throws are, not force stuff that isn't available. Sign of a great QB, using all his tools to get the job done. It's the defenses job to stop them, and in the second half we failed at that.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

As great as this year was it was typical Jets luck that we get the regular season verison of manning instead of the postseason verison.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the cards just fell the Colts' way, junc.....no Jenks, no Leon, Greene & Strickland going out, Drew Fuckin' Coleman.....it just wasn't meant to be.

But i have hopes for the future of this team.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I feel great about our future BUT I did after the '98 title game too. You never know what will happen or how long it will take to get back to this point. Hopefully it's next year at home.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i agree.

A solid defense will keep this team competative year in and year out....we really didn't have that in 98...it was more about the offense back then. Plus, Sanchez will only improve....

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Vinny was 35, Sanchez is 23.
    Martin was 25, Greene is 24.
    Keyshawn was a douche, Edwards isn't
    Chrebet was 25, Cotchery is 27.
    Parcells "retired" after the following year, Rex has a long road ahead

Plus our defense is a million times better anchored by Revis.

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I remember 1983 very well.

Jet fans were ECSTATIC that Joe Walton was named HC, replacing Wal Michaels, fired thanks to the incompetence of Jim Kensil and Leon Hess.

Jets beat San Diego and Dan Fouts in the 1983 Season Opener in a shootout and the Jets looked to be on their way to the AFC East and the #1 Overall Seed.

We finished 7-9 and then Richard Todd was traded at the end of the year.

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Good points except that I' take Key over Braylon any day of the week. The '98 Jets did have a lot of aging vets, most notably their QB. I also think that Vinny had a magical, career-season in '98 that he was unlikely to duplicate even if he hadn't gotten hurt. Hopefully Sanchez's best days are well ahead of him (they'd better be!).

Probably most importantly - we have a good coach who is passionate and actually wants to be here in NY and nowhere else. He's not going to leave us at the altar like Tuna did.

12. NYTitans99

NYTitans99 New Member

The Manning's are all douches - Eli is the reason I won't root for the Giants anymore...

13. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

it's true. Every single one of those passes were perfect.

Any other qb makes a mistake on a few of those throws. We just got beat by a machine.

14. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And PM is the best on the planet at doing just that. All that said...it WAS the #3 and #4 RCB we are talking about him having the "..best half he ever played..." against. Let's keep things in perspective.

Hey, I didn't say it....dad did.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

They also said it was the third biggest comeback in playoff history, I think? Of course dad is going to think it. Manning has had a lot of great halves of football. I'm not going to argue which is the best, but I can agree this one probably belongs on the list of possibilities.

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I'm betting that Peyton Manning has had some pretty fucking good halves of football against some #1 and #2, maybe even elite, NFL corners. I'm betting smokin a set of #3 and #4 CBs hasn't exactly been up near the top of his bucket list.

I'm pretty confident that when he's inducted into the HoF, the fact that he torched Dwight Lowery and Drew Colemen for 23 of 26 and 276 yards in the 2010 AFCCG won't figure into his speech time much.

Just sayin'.....but hey, whatever makes you happy man.....:up:

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think it's pretty funny that people are criticizing these comments. He played a perfect half of football (and you can add 2 more minutes from the end of the first half) that brought his team from behind to get them into the Super Bowl. Unless he does the same thing in the Super Bowl, of course it could easily be the best half he's ever played.

18. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

I agree on all counts.

When you consider that the Pats' era of greatness seems to be on the downward slope, the AFC East is ripe for the picking. And I think the Jets are better positioned to fill that void than the Dolphins (and, certainly, the Bills) are.

Having a top-notch defense is, IMO, the surest way to consistent, lasting success in the NFL. The Ravens have lived off their defense for a long time. And they've typically been able to do that despite having mediocre offensive prowess. Can you imagine how good the Ravens could've been in recent years with a better offense?

And, yeah, with promising young players like Sanchez and Greene on the offensive side of the ball, I'd say the Jets have a very good foundation for future success.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Aw c'mon...Eli's a douche? Really? I think he's a pretty nice guy...but what do I know. He did win a SB for NY. Still the best SB I've ever seen.

Did you happen to see him at the game rooting for his big brother?
    Maybe he lost a few more NY fans.

20. colts fan

colts fan New Member

Really? He lost fans because he is rooting for his brother?

Also, now Jet fans are talking down your great stellar defense?