Gentlemen... this is special

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bigoljetairliner28, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Babies are GREAT luck. My daughter's first week of life saw our Ducks winning the Stanley Cup. My son is 3 weeks old. He came home the day of the regular season Cincinnati game, was in my arms for the Bengals game, and was in my wife's arms for the Chargers game. He's back to his dad today, but I've just had this feeling all season long that his birth was a good sign. Sure enough, he arrived just in time.

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Maybe? Maybe? No. I'm afraid this kid will have no say in the matter. LOL. He or she will be sitting right next to mommy and daddy wearing green and yelling and cheering right along side us. Hearing tales of Lance Mehl and Wayne Chrebet and Dennis Byrd and hearing about the day the boys in green and white slayed the mighty Peyton Manning. For the second time, too.:metal:

3. ........

........ Trolls

I feel differently for this game than I did in 1999. I was 3 for the Mud Bowl, and wouldn't have been a Jets fan at the time anyway. I became a fan just after Gastineau's infamous roughing the passer game. My fandom started in the doldrums before the resurgence of this team in 1998. Heading into that 99 AFCC game, I remember thinking that I finally got to see my Jets reach the AFCC only to have to go up against an absolute juggernaut in the Denver Broncos. I don't feel that way today. I can't say I feel assurance, but I'm calm. I feel we have a chance, a real chance, at being a team of destiny and reaching the big game. I watched the game in 99 with friends. They went about their business happily after the game, and I sat there feeling like I got punched in the gut, better judgment notwithstanding. I've opted to spend today with family at home. Win or lose, I'll do it with people who truly understand how I feel about this team.

4. ........

........ Trolls

There you go. You have to raise them in the green and the white. Hopefully your kid will be born into a very different sense of what it means to be a Jet fan. My daughter's been doing the Jets chant all morning. At 2, my hope is she'll never have to know what it's like to live through decades of futility.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Great post, but I highlight this, because those people are really the only ones who fully understand what we go through, and how special today is going to be.

6. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

This is really something special. Remember this feeling, this one. Right now. The anticipation, the excitement, since we know all too well how fleeting it may be. I look at it like going on vacation, the days leading up to it are filled with wonderful thoughts of what's to come, what a great time you're about to have. Then the vacation comes and you're too wrapped up to enjoy it, and then it's suddenly over. This. This right now is something we need to savor and remember as Jets fans. It's one of the best feelings I've ever had and I am grateful to share it with a bunch of strangers on the internet, on the greatest NY Jets site on the internet.
    So thank you, and let's do this!!!

7. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Thanks guys. Every once in awhile I open this forum and get blown away by posts because they are poignant and give meaning to why we are come here. God knows most days this place can leave your wall with a head imprint. Your posts pretty much give meaning as to why we are all Jet fans. Man has that been hard to quantify over the years.

My Dad got me into Hockey and we had that "moment" in 1994 when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. In the case of the Jets, it was the other way around. I made him a Jet fan by bringing him to the Jet bar down here. He had a ton of fun watching with 100-200 other fans. Prior to that he wasn't really very interested. Anyway........ I am kind of rambling.

JayWayne you are one of the best posters in this place, maybe the best. Don't apologize for nothing and BigolJet great OP!

8. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

Why not us ?

Why not us ?

Why not us ?

9. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

Anybody happen to be watching NFL Network? They just played an NFL Films bit with Sabol, talking about the Ryans... and how Rex is like Buddy... with footage of Buddy coaching with Rex 15 years ago, present day Buddy watching Rex coach from his couch, and Rex using his own son at Jets practice, having him come in the huddle and do a Breakdown ("Kick ass on 3, ready 1, 2, 3, KICK ASS", man that was cool to see. Especially after this thread and so many of us talking about our fathers.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thanks MP and you know the feeling is mutual my friend.

1 hour and 29 minutes...wait...28 minutes. J-E...ahhhh...forget it...I cant even think straight.

11. NYJets4sure

NYJets4sure New Member

As I said earlier in this post you guys put some heartfelt well written stories together in this thread. You had to add an article to the already great emotional posts to make me even more of a mess then I already was, huh? VERY VERY cool article. I am fortunate and blessed to be watching the game with my dad in just over an hour. I am 35 just like Stinky B, and am so excited to be still watching the Jets play this season. Fire up the big screen it's playoff time baby!

12. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Brought A Tear To My Eyes! Lets Go Jets!!!

13. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

Heading out to my watch the game with my brother-in-law.
    Enjoy everyone!
    J E T S!!!
    Jets!!!
    Jets!!!
    Jets!!!
    Give us one more Sunday!!!!!

14. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

What an awesome post! I'm savoring in the moment win lose or draw, hopefully in 14 days in the Super Bowl pre-games we'll see the Gang Green warming up on the field behind the CBS studios :)

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

wow..... I just got in from surfing (had to burn up some energy somehow), and put on the same clothes I wore to the bar last week (these jeans smell)..... off to pick up my dad, and bring Uncle Frank's Helmet with us. A season ticket holder for 25 yrs until he passed. He is a HUGE reason why we're the JETS fans we are. At least he'll be there in spirit. :sniff: :jets:

HAVE FUN EVERYONE....... ENJOY THE GAME... LETS GO JETS!!!!!!!

16. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

It's been a long day, a very long day.

I have spent all day working, I needed to take my mind off things.

Now, the hour approacheth...the butterflies are moving around inside me, every time I dare to hope, I get a little scared...could this be it?

Picked up on the Jets in 1982, a good year to start, I thought it would always like that.

This is the third time we've got this far in my life, the first time I was 8, then 24, now 35. Perhaps that's why I'm so nervous, I got moreso as I get older...will I see another Champ game, will I ever see a Superbowl, and will I ever see us win one?

Will I stop rambling? When should I start drinking? Will the tears be of joy or pain?

I don't know...

BUT I know this...right here, right now feels GREAT to be a Jet. Look out Peyton, here we come!

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm off to the house where all the buddies I tailgate with are going, like we have the past 2 weeks. Gentlemen, it's on. 55 minutes from now. Let's enjoy it.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Tremendous post. I really enjoyed reading this. And couldn't agree more. Let's be proud of our team. No one expected us to be here. The Jets can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!

19. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

Ahhhhh... that was tough to take. But have pride. And believe. This was GREAT season. We have a future. Enjoy the offseason gents. Seeya Draft season!!!

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm pissed, still drinkin' and reluctantly accepting that I'll be rooting for a bunch of crazy cajuns on SB Sunday instead of the gang green (the potential for the SB party was to the moon) but this thread needs to back on top.

It sums up why most of us are here. If we were bandwagon fans how would we be wrapped up in the JETS.

:shit::jets::drunk: