Gentlemen... this is special

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bigoljetairliner28, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

I speak to you tonight... from my couch. LA, CA. About 15 hours pre game. Super Bowl III is on the box. The Macallan 18 is flowing like the salmon of capistrano. The wife has sighed and turned in. The wings are in the fridge waiting to be busted out tomorrow with the homemade bluecheese sauce and celery and Heiny mini-keg. Interestingly, this house shunned all friends. I rebutted all invitations to "enjoy the game together". I would like to be alone. To prepare. To watch. To enjoy. I don't need anyone talking about commercials or Brett Favre, or when my wings will be ready.
    This is special.

I'm 37 years old. I began my journey with the Richard Todd era. I met Gastineau when I was 10. The picture is on my office. He clubbed Bernie and killed me. In 98 my dad flew out from the island, and we cut up an elway jersey and put ketchup on it and then set it aflame, on my balcony. What a blast. Didn't work. 10-0. Then 23-10. Crushing. Yet a highpoint for me. And me and my old man.
    4 weeks ago my dad called and told me about how on that Sunday morning before Indy he ran to the grocery store and saw a guy in a Marvin Jones jersey. (I liked him) Anyway, they chatted and my dad told him about how sorry he was that he passed this on to me. That he could have "given" me any team as a child. But he gave me The Jets. And decades of heartache. And misery. And SOJ. When he told me this, my reaction was simple and heartfelt. I said, "Dad... you have to understand... someday, one day, it'll happen. We'll be kings of the world. And it'll be so sweet, so glorious, so beautiful... especially since we suffered for so long. That just makes it sweeter. It'd be easy to be a Patriot, Steeler, or Packer fan, Dad. To be a Jets fan, you have to have Soul."

Funny. But true. An actual conversation between father and son, Jet.
    My post is rambling. And loose. Apologies. The scotch. But I just want, to stress to all of you... young, old, new fan, veteran... this is Special. This is the AFC Championship game. We're in it. Not the Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Broncos, nope... It's us. And this doesn't come around very often. I'm believing we're on an upswing. Entering a special time. Perhaps pulling even with NE.... We'll see. Getting here is a monumental accomplishment. But we may not be here again for a long time I dunno. I've waited a long time for this. A long time. Long. Have PRIDE.

I will watch tomorrow's game with pride in my heart, joy in my soul, and perhaps a tiny tear in my eye. Cause this... this was improbable. And this is Fun.

Lastly... regardless of how tomorrow goes. Don't hate. Don't abandon. Don't blame. I was so happy when Sanchez was getting the opportunity to play ONE playoff game as a rookie for the expereince he'd gain. And Rex too. Then we won. Odds were long vs the Chargers. Then we won. So... regardless of tomorrow's outcome. We get Leon. We get Jenkins. We'll have a QB that took us to the AFC Championship as a rook. A Coach we adore. And perhaps... just maybe... a team that no one will want to play. We'll be those guys.

The Jets. A team no one wants to play.
    Enjoy this. This is special.
    And BTW... just glanced at the box. Snell, just got a first down to take us to the 2 minute warning. It's iced. Wow. THAT was really special.

2. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Couldn't be said any better! Why not us!

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I know I've said this before, but I really don't want this season to end. I'm not ready. I hope the team isn't ready for it to end either.

4. Bigoljetairliner28

Badger... big day tomorrow.

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

what a fucking post. thank you.

6. the99

the99 New Member

I won't be disappointed if we lose. We have a lot to look forward to.

That being said, I will be sad.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Will be ordering tons of hot wings and consuming copious amounts of beer by myself tomorrow. I feel the same way... I must watch without distraction. I'm 21 and have been a fan since '01. So, I haven't suffered long. Besides I need to be by myself, because I'm going to cry like a baby when we win.

8. Dexter Morgan

Dexter Morgan New Member

Fuck yeah, man! Awesome.:jets:

9. CalgaryJet

CalgaryJet Member

great post!!! the future is bright but right now fuck the future all I want is a win tomorrow and wear my jeresy monday with a big ass smile on my face.
    GO JETS!!!
    Fuck the colts

10. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Well said bro. That one was straight from the heart. You're right, we DO have soul. And this team has brought that out like none I have ever seen....myself being born in 1970.

11. jcjet

jcjet Member

Well said dude

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i am so wired its crazy. my new little boy like to stay up half the night right now so the game will seem even further away since i won't get to sleep til 3 and will be up at 6.

I can't wait for this!!

13. freebo

freebo New Member

Nice post! It brings back so many memories for me so Thank You!

If my Colts don't win then I want the Jets to, for you.

You are the man and I promise you when the Jets do win, it will be everything you have ever imagined it would be. It took 23 years for my team to win a Super Bowl, all the way from 9 years old. I have never missed a game just as I am sure you have not either.

:beer:

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I really think we're going!

15. Majeau13

Majeau13 New Member

I'm half-cut.... But thank you for that post. Can't wait. 15 hours until kick off...

16. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

Wow sound like me and my son. I remember when my son was about 7 or 8 and the We just missed the playoffs he started to cry and I gave him the "TALK" we have all gotten this talk if our parents or older siblings were fans. Right now I'm proud to say I'm a Jets fan and proud of my son for sticking with them also. Now it's my Daughters turn She may need the "TALK" one day.. and yes this is a very special time

17. Bigoljetairliner28

Freebo, you've been a class act all week. Its good to know there are fans out there from other teams like you. I appreciate your words. You make me not want to cut up a manning jersey and pour ketchup on it. Lol. barely. GL my man.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Great Post. I made a special trip this week a few hours away to place some Jets Gear on my Dad's Grave If you were walking by there after I got done decorating you would notice 2 things - USMC Veteran & NEW YORK JETS fan. We were fans together for 41 years. I wish he could be here for this run but hopefully he can pull some strings for us tomorrow....

19. salex

salex New Member

Awesome post man. I've been a jets fan forever but only recently found this board...great to be with you guys.

20. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

All we can do is believe. And I don't think there is a Jet fan out there who doesn't.