Mangini takes pride on these Jets...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Jan 23, 2010.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/22/is-mangini-the-pete-best-of-the-jets/

I did a search and couldn't find anything (if it's already there, mods please erase it forever), and I thought it was interesting enough to post it. The guy has got a point, but at the same time, he hasn't...

Is Mangini the Pete Best of the Jets? Posted: January 22nd, 2010 | Adam Rank | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Conan O'Brien, Eric Mangini, Jay Leno, New York Jets, Pete Best, Rex Ryan, Ringo Starr

Browns coach Eric Mangini told the New York Daily News that he feels like the Pete Best of the Jets as his former team prepares for Sunday?s AFC Championship Game.

Best, of course, is best known for being replaced by Ringo Starr as the Beatles? drummer before the band achieved worldwide fame.

?I do take a lot of pride in how they are doing,? Mangini said Thursday night. ?Not just in how they are playing, but the type of people they are. That locker room is loaded with good guys. I am happy with their success. I feel I contributed to it.?

Jets fans might believe Mangini taking credit for the team?s success is like Jay Leno taking credit for Conan O?Brien?s success on The Tonight Show. However, don?t expect Mangini to be able to take his old job away from Rex Ryan.

Mangini went 9-7 in his final year with the Jets in 2008 and missed the playoffs after the team lost four of its final five games to end the season. Mangini had an overall record of 23-26 (including one playoff loss) in three seasons in New York.

The Browns finished 5-11 in their first season under Mangini, but they finished strong with a four-game winning streak.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Seriously? The team obviously hated mangina. He did however hook us with sanchez and Braylon.

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I can't believe how quickly the Jets have rebounded from having him as a coach. I'm equally surprised that Holmgren kept him on in Cleveland.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Don't be surprised. It'll be easier for Holmgren to take over for Mangina after next season than it would be to replace a rookie coach. He's a slighly younger Parcells with that itch.

6. greenhorse

greenhorse Member

rex

is a young Parcells, not Mangini. with that being said though, mangini does have a good eye for talent ...

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I really will never understand all of the hatred for Mangini on this board. (But I digress . . . ) And obviously he should be proud of the Jets, he helped build most of this team as it is currently constructed. There really isn't point in denying that reality.

8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Whatever im sure half the locker room hated him, and we all did too, but I suppose he did help set up obviously what we have now and thanks and good riddance fucker.

9. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Vernon Gholston would like a word with you sir.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm not....This is a smart move by Holmgren...Whatever goes wrong will be 100% blamed on Mangini and this gives the guy a mulligan year to build in the direction he wants. The move is brilliant

11. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

I can understand it to a degree. Someone here related it to "Band of Brothers" where a hard arsed martinet like Lt. Sobel actually serves a role in building cohesiveness among a unit of men because they are drilled hard and share a common resentment towards the man, that provides the setting for genuine leaders such as Lt. Dick Winters who enable the unit to thrive.

It has happened before in sports. Two formerly messed up franchises come to mind in this respect. The Giants needed Ray Perkins to straighten that team out period before Parcells took over, and the Yankees needed a guy like Buck Showalter to straighten the team out before Joe Torre took over.

Now, Mangini wasn't to the extreme, but he and Mr. T did make a point of instilling discipline and bringing "good citizens" and hard workers into this franchise. Mangini eventually wore his welcome out, but he did serve a role in getting us to the place we are now - and hopefully will be over the next few years with Rex at the helm.

12. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

he got us revis,mangold and ferguson plus edwards and sanchez that is all i am thankful of, it's still pretty good.

13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I take pride in the fact that they are "these Jets" and not "his Jets"

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You could be right. I didn't think he wanted to coach any more...nor did I see him as being that devious.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

edit.......

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He has every right to take pride in the many good players that are on the team that he helped bring in. Having said that, it is blindingly obvious to everyone, I hope, that the biggest difference between last year and this year is the "take no prisoners" attitude of the coach, combined with how much the players clearly love to play for him, and there is no way that could have happened if Mangini was still here.

17. Graytness

Graytness Member

I don't care for Mangini...but he has a right to root for his former team. His personality is his biggest flaw. It seems that he wears out his welcome very quickly, to say the least.

Listen, our offensive line, one of the best in the game, was put together by Mangini. Most of our defensive talent was acquired by him. This team is still very much the team he put together. Someone earlier mentioned the fact that they were surprised the team was able to rebound from last year, how so? They were 9-7 last year...they were 9-7 this year.

18. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

Listen Mangini really built this team other than a 5 or 6 guys RR has brought in. And thank god he lost the last 4 games last year of we wouldn't have Rex. And although Favre didn't work out for the Jets without those moves we wouldn't have Sanchez either. As for people not believing that the Browns are keeping Mangini he has acquired I think 11 draft picks in the up and coming draft Now thats how you build a team.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I disagree. Parcells was/is a condescending negative jerk. Ryan is a breath of fresh air, is polite, and upbeat/positive. The only similarity is their size.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

MHO from the very beginning Favre used us as his route to get to the Vikes & tanking it down the stretch was a huge part of that game plan that he hatched.