1998 Jets team vs. Current Jet team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Thought it would it would be really interesting to here yous guys opinions on the 1998 Jets team which made it to da afc championship game compared to our current jets team. Which team do you believe is better and why? which players do you like more on each team. or anything else you would like to throw in the mix in comparing both jet teams.. also which team do you think is better, the 1998 broncos team we played in the afc champions game or the colts were r playin in dis years afc champion game?

2. GreenMachine

The 98 team offense was way better. The 09 Defense is way better.

3. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

I wish wayne chrebet was on this team, he was and always will be my favorite player. I'm kind of disappointed he never got a Super Bowl ring.

4. Jets80win

Jets80win New Member

That 98 team was special. Was balanced and had a damn explosive offense. I wish we could combine that offense with our defense now

5. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Yea chrebet was one of my favorite jet players to, so much heart. Yea i figured 98 offense was better an dis years defense was but which team do u think is better overall? also whose better the 98 broncos or dis years colts?

6. 624

624 Banned

I was too young to understand football in 1998, but I have a feeling that people would take the 09 one over the 98 one based solely on the potential for the future.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 1998 team and this team are about the same in terms of overall strength. That team was an 11-5 squad that got 12-4 because of a terrible call by the officials against Seattle. This team is an 11-5 team that went 9-7 because of some really bad offensive scheming in the middle part of the season.

I think this team is actually better suited to win it all than that team was. This team can run at will and is much more dominating on defense. That team was well balanced but had some issues shutting down the opposition and had issues against good run defenses. If this team had had the turnover ratio that that one produced we'd have gone 13-3.

8. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Lets break this down position by position('98 on left, '09 on right):

QB: Testaverde > Sanchez
    HB: Martin/Johnson < Jones/Greene (VERY SLIGHT to '09)
    FB:Sowell < Richardson
    WR: Johnson/Chrebet > Edwards/Cotchery
    TE: Brady < Keller
    OL: 1998 < 2009 (not even close)

DL: 1998 < 2009 (S. Ellis is better than any player on the '98 line)
    LB: Cox/Lewis/P. Johnson < Pace/Harris/Scott/Thomas (razor thin edge to '09 here)
    CB1: Glenn < Revis (as good as Glenn was, this is not even close...)
    CB2: Smith < Shepard
    SS: V. Green < Leonhard
    FS: J. Henderson < K. Rhodes

P: Hansen > Weatherford
    K: J. Hall < Feely
    KR: L. Johnson/A. Glenn = B. Smith
    PR: L. Johnson/A. Glenn > Cotchery

Coach: Parcells = Ryan

OVERALL 1998 < 2009 (Slight Edge)

I was never a big Vinny fan, but I most confess that he was absolutely LETHAL that year throwing the ball. That said, I think he'd struggle against this year's D if he faced them. The '98 D was NOT, I repeat NOT dominant at all (although they had a wonderful linebacking corps). The '98 O, however, was extremely balanced. They possessed both a superb running game and passing attack with two bonafide receiving weapons (and a speedy Dedric Ward in the slot...)

This year's team is not nearly as prolific on offense (although the running game is better due to the one-two punch of Jones and Greene), but the D is TONS better.

When you add up all the elements including special teams and coaching, I believe this year's team is slightly better. Thoughts?

#8 mrgoose, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

You should make this comparison between the 09 colts and the 98 broncos too....Elway vs Manning?

10. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Keep it coming guys, alot of good opinions. Yea comparison of 98 broncos to the 09 colts would be nice also. Honestly your player by player comparison is very good and agree with most of it. Although I do believe that basing the skill on what was on paper can be a little misleading cuz of many other factors. The 98 broncos team was pretty darn good and if it werent for a curtis martin fumble and blowing the lead in the 4th quarter, we mite have one. I personally would give the slight edge to the 98 jets team being better, but is very close.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Come on man, there is no way you can say that Rex Ryan is on the same level as Bill Parcells yet.

12. deef

deef Member

I don't know if Parcells = Ryan quite yet. Both turned the team around for sure, and so far they've both gone as far as Jets coaches, but you can't say Parcells ever messed up time management so badly it lost a game. Parcells has rings with several teams too, so that has added weight (lol) in his favor. Parcells also went into Miami's front office and they won the AFC East. The guy has success everywhere he goes. Comparing a rookie to a proven veteran is a little premature IMO, but I definitely understand why you'd feel that way. I know someday it will be true, but just not yet.

Other than that, great comparisons.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

when their powers combine.................

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

several rings?

He has two.

He also knows how to ruin a teams salary cap situation after he leaves.

Parcells is good at bringing a franchise back from the dead and whoever he leaves in place keeps them there for a long period of time.

The Giants, Pats, Cowboys and Fins have returned to relevancy since he's left.

15. Woodhead77

Woodhead77 New Member

98 had alot of weapons but I feel like this 09 team has that "special" quality. I really hope I get to say after this season, that the 09 Ny Jets had one the craziest/greatest season of their history and be able to top it off with a SB victory

16. deef

deef Member

Oh crap, you're right. My mistake. For some reason I kept thinking he had 3.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

went to SB with the Pats.

Lost to Brett Favre.

18. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

We get Captain Planet?

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That O w/ this D and I don't think we lose more than a game or 2 all season.

20. TOMMY1961

TOMMY1961 New Member

Hate to say it but the 1998 choked in Denver. Right now this years team aint no better, but that can change