Have to stick to the same gameplan that we used against SD

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Killeri9590, Jan 19, 2010.

1. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

"That would be your best bet... Ravens only completed 4 passes when they destroyed New England... We just stacked the box and made Flacco beat us... Im sure thats our new game plan..."

Despite what the regular season stats say, right now, the Jets have a better passing offense than the Ravens. Flacco has been playing hurt and the Jets have much better options to throw to than the Ravens with Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sanchez throws really well on the run, we should definitely utilize the bootleg and play-action passes. I like short slants to Cotchery as well, Cotch has great hands and needs to get the ball more. If we can run the ball, play action will open up the playbook for us.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i think the Jets need to take advantage of Mathis and Freeney being overly aggressive trying to rush the QB. They play the run on the way to the QB so forcing them wide and running into their gaps with some delays or screens to their side could slow them down early. Even a split second of hesitation is enough time to open up a lot in the running game.

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Good point. It's games like this where we really miss the presence of Leon Washington. Screens out of the backfield, bubble screen (Danny Woodhead, anyone?), quick slants out of the slot, etc. We gotta establish the run game real fast this Sunday, if not for anything else, just to keep their ends honest.

5. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The run game is huge but throwing in a couple of quick screens could slow the Colts D down right off the bat and make them a bit less aggressive which would be huge with Freeney and Mathis being monsters.

6. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i think this game is going to come down to rex's defensive disguises. peyton was sliding the protection well and had a pretty clean pocket in the last match up.

we have to get to manning when we bring 6+ ... i think we'll be fine if they pick us up when we rush 4 or 5, because our secondary is that good, but weve got to get hurries when we bring more

7. ThreeAndOut

ThreeAndOut New Member

Here is the big matchup.....Do they Jets bring multiple blitzes and gamble in pass coverage, or not send as many and play 2 deep safeties and keep from giving up the big play. This contradicts the Jets style of blitzing and coming after Peyton. Having watched Peyton his whole career, he takes advantage of the blitz most of the time. It is going to be a great chess match to watch all of this. I will guarantee that if the Jets don't play 2 high Safeties Peyton will take advantage with deep balls.

Secondly, you would think that as hard as Freeney and Mathis rush that screens and draws would work really well, but suprisingly they don't. The Colts DT's do a great job of helping with those plays and Freeney and Mathis have motors that don't quit during a play.

8. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Then its a good thing for the Jets that they are not at all a screen team. They have run about 3 true RB screens (not wide receiver bubble screens or quick hitters) since Washington went down.

9. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Yeah, neither of our backs are really that adept at pass catching out of the backfield. That's why I think Woodhead can play a pretty important role in Sunday's game. We've bitched and moaned about Schotty getting cute at various points in the season, and by no means do I think we should shift from our run-heavy play calling, but if there ever was a time for him to throw in a play or two involving Woodhead or Brad Smith, Sunday is that time.

10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

The "plan" is simple, smack them in the mouth on both sides of the ball. Play fast, smart, and VIOLENT.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I have the fullest confidence in our O-line to do just that. It's going to be a great game.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Stacking the box does not stop the Jets run game, hasn't all year.

13. indy4192

indy4192 Banned

There is a huge difference in the QB's. Rivers is where Peyton was about 6 years ago. He panicked and fell apart, Peyton will pick apart the Jets if they blitz the number of times they did against SD. The Jets best option is to blitz on rare occasions and sit back and go with a base man to man and hope Peyton makes a mistake.

14. indy4192

indy4192 Banned

misleading...

How did the mighty run game(every bit equal to what the Jets offer) did the Ravens get? Do you really think they will run all over a defense that shut down the Ravens to just 68 yards? I will give you they will get probably 100-125. The key is can the Jets pull off the 1 big run like they had vs. the Chargers, if they can, they have a chance, I don't think they can.

15. indy4192

indy4192 Banned

Something then from your D or ST

In our first matchup your D and ST contributed 14 of your 29 points, which means you got 15 from your O. 7 of those points from your D came from our B offense. Your O has to do better...

16. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

The Ravens also didn't run much the second half. They threw screens and dump-offs instead.

As long as they are down by 7 or less, the Jets will run and get their yards. The Jets have a better defense and that's the big key here.

The one thing I worry about is that the Chargers' field was really bad, which favored us since we're bigger. The astroturf helps the Colts defense since they're built on speed. That said, we can still smashmouth with the best of them.

17. indy4192

indy4192 Banned

No question, that if going into half the Colts are only up by 7 or fewer they may be in trouble. Even though we have shown the ability to come back this season, I believe the Jets are a special situation. In turn if the Colts are up say 17-3 or 17-7 that is really going to hurt the Jets as they may have to pass more then they want and they are not built to come back (see Falcons game as proof).

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah that surprised me. The Jets will not give up on the run like that.

I don't think the field makes that much of a difference, btw. The Jets have speed on D.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That is really the key for the Jets, keep it close, halftime adjustments, then go for it.

20. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

I remember from the first meeting that Freeney was all over Sanchez. Somebody had better block him this time around. The Colts appear to have a realatively fast defense so I am not sure the wildcat will work but having B. Smith throw out of it would be a very nice wrinkle, because then the defense can not sell out for the run.

We need to find a way to hit Manning, hard... He does not make mistakes so hoping he makes one is not going to work. We will have to force turnovers, Block a punt etc. I also think we are going to need points from the defense and or special teams.