apparantly mark sanchez will be the second comming of Jamarcus Russell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bucknasty, Jan 19, 2010.

1. CrackTheSky

CrackTheSky New Member

Its interesting to see all these statistics but clearly that isn't telling the entire story. Sanchez is a good QB with a feel for the game in the pocket, where as Russell doesn't seem to have any pocket awareness at all, none. Also with Sanchez its also easy to see that he isn't the same QB he was at the beginning of the season, one can see his growth right on the tv screen, Russell on the other hand has shown no growth as a player in his entire career. Sanchez isn't asked to get more yardage for the NFL's number one rushing team, that article doesn't mention that the Jets can run the rock in a way that is not at all common in the NFL and if your going to evaluate Sanchez based on his yards then at least take that tiny fact into account, the proof being the Jets are 60minutes from playing in the Superbowl. Can the same be said for any of the other QB's Sanchez is being compared too? Lastly, work ethic work ethic work ethic, the best never rest, Sanchez burns to be the best and does ANYONE think he won't improve his game, his numbers, his stats next season? Nice article but I'll but my money on Sanchez and Rex and see what kind of articles they come out during next seasons run.

#21 CrackTheSky, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jamarcus Russell was a second year player when he put those numbers up. That completely invalidates the similarity score, since he had a year with the clipboard to watch the NFL and try to get up to speed.

There are other enormous differences in their styles, their physical capabilities and their work ethic that are pretty obvious also at this point.

I usually look hard at what Football Outsiders comes up with because I think they apply common sense and statistical analysis in a way that is likely to highlight some truths that are not evident at first glance. This projection however is not one of their better efforts. In fact it is a weak one.

3. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Its a insider article... they are just trying to get Jets fans to get pissed at the title and make them subscribe to read the entire stupid article. Angry mob = $$$... especially in the tri-state area (for espn and that fat fuck).

4. GreenSwarm57

GreenSwarm57 New Member

What a joke. I bet the author is a Dolphins fan.

5. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Well if NY fans are dumb enough to read/listen to the hate, that's their fault...not the ones ordered to write and talk down about the Jets.

6. salex

salex New Member

What a joke...waste of space.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

With just 1 playoff win sanchez already established himself as a 10x better QB in his rookie season then Jamarcus russell.

8. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I'm not going to address how utterly ridiculous almost every comment in this article made about the Jets is. Anyone with more than 2 brain cells can see that.

But, what I'm more interested in is the attempt to use stats made by Bill James for baseball. I mean, all of those stats are based on large sample sizes. Even player comparison stats have 9 hitters or 5 starters on each team over 70 year periods. A lot different than 1 QB on each team, let alone the tiny sample of QBs that actually got to start 15 games their 1st season.

So, without even considering the ridiculous statements this guy made about Sanchez and to a smaller extent, Greene, this writer may be the dumbest person to ever be published on ESPN.

9. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Troy Aikman:
    155/293 52.9% 9 TD 18 INT

John Elway:
    123/259 47.5% 7 TD 14 INT

I can keep going buuuuuuuuut...do I need to? I mean seriously, do I need to? Should I even waste my time commenting more on this? I didn't think so.

10. INDY 39

INDY 39 New Member

I think Sanchez is going to be a a damn good NFL QB. He's already miles ahead of Russell. Russell has the physical gifts but doesn't want to work at improving and it is evident. Hell counting college Russell has played in many more games than Sanchez who I believe just played one college season as a starter. Guys better than Leinhart also. Great move by your org. in getting him.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I wonder why those guys, and others, were conveniently left out of the discussion???!!!!!

12. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Are you surprised? No one on ESPN is a Jets fan so they just compare the recent stats and say it happened all season.

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

What the writer fails to acknowledge is that Russell seemed to be a pretty polished Quarterback coming out of college, yet he never improved. Sanchez, on the other hand, has only 16 college games under his belt and has shown improvement. Its just so unfair to judge a rookie quarterback like this. To say his future is looking bleak is just moronic.

14. Mason

Mason New Member

You can't do anything other than laugh at this crap. Simply hilarious.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

What should be most upsetting is that this article is part of their insider package. So not only is it a POS article you had to pay to read it. I would think this would be something Bill Simmons would write with a bunch of humor built in like he did with the Clippers a few months back. No way should this be pay article.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think his only purpose was to get his article circulated as much as possible, and he has succeeded.

17. Don G

Don G New Member

This is just a typical ESPN Insider article. It's always propaganda. There is no basis for how or why they write their articles.

18. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Russell ended up in oakland thats a major reason why he sucks

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

anyone who has actually watched him play knows he had a good rookie year. He had 3 awful games that skewed his #s. he is so much better now than a couple of months ago, he played great at Cincy and made plays when it counted at SD. I couldn't be happier w/ his progress this year.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

ESPN is becoming more and more of a joke, I used to think they actually had smart analyzers there but now, there just a bunch of idiots that certainly don't know their football, or maybe they lack common sense who knows what it is