p. manning vs the 3-4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Jan 19, 2010.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

of course, you have to ignore all the three and outs the offense has to come to that conclusion, thus increasing the amounts of possessions our opponents have and essentially evening it out over the course of a game. you have to also ignore that when our opponents do have the ball, they have trouble moving it and scoring.

logic. it requires you to actually analyze all the facts before simply making up a conclusion. or do you have some information that shows teams move the ball quite easily against the Jets but simply have it less and that is where the reduced numbers come from? I'm thinking you don't, which means you don't just talk out of your ass you think out of it as well.

#41 JetBlue, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This .

3. GTechSuperChargerFan

Well, for what you did to my Chargers last weekend (I have only now gotten over even being able to talk about it), I'd say I wouldnt bet against you guys. I certainly did not advocate a blowout on sunday, and thought it would be close going into the third (it was) but we'd prevail in the end (we didn't, duh).

I personally think you guys have this mysterious, invincible persona that has gotten into the league's heads. You are the Arizona of this year and I think it would be great if you beat the two teams that everyone said "let" you into the playoffs. They deserve nothing less.

Sanchez IMO still sucks - we shut that guy down. I don't know why we didnt play closer than we did, since he cant throw over 10 yards, and proved it. Your O-line is amazing. I can't give it enough respect. I can only imagine what Rivers would do with that line. Doesnt matter - you have a stud running game. Couldnt even stop it when everyone in the stadium knew you were going up the middle. Totally disheartening for an opposing team's fans.

I didnt dis Revis at all last week, and I am thankful I didnt. The Bolts dropped 5 passes they almost always make, but, still, even with that, you guys did an OK job against the pass. However, you are still susceptible to the underneath middle pass, which Manning loves.

#43 GTechSuperChargerFan, Jan 19, 2010
  4. 624

624 Banned

How can you say Sanchez sucks, his stats didn't look great but what about that 4th quarter TD, as a rookie, on the road, while losing.

He is no Rivers or Manning at this point in his career, but he definitely doesn't suck.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Crossing routes.

Manning on crossing routes scares the shit out of me.

He had some windows on Saturday that could only have been about a foot wide, but he kept putting the ball right where it needs to be. All of our corners have a lot of difficulty with those square-in routes (yes, even Revis).

6. GTechSuperChargerFan

He did what he had to do - hand off. When he was called to throw downfield, or had some semblance of pressure, I didnt see any plays made.

However, you line is so good, it is hard to get any pressure, and he can throw the short stuff. You are always stuck it seems with 3rd and 4 or 3, which requires only short, timed throws.

He did have that one roll out TD play, but once again, that was only a few yards. I give him props for his short yardage acuity, but if you call on him in 3rd and long, it's over. Not the Jets game.

7. bobzilla

bobzilla New Member

You can throw out the 1st game... Once we clinched, both sides of the ball became very predictable... We weren't going to show anything to our playoff foes... Besides not all of our starters played... My overrated comment was trollish sounding, I should've of said the defense's #1 rating can be blurred by a time consuming offensive plan... Either way, this is the NFL playoffs and its never a walk in the park...

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Colts fans have to realize their ENTIRE playoff hopes rest 100% entirely on one man.

If Peyton doesnt perform the entire colts organization goes down.

I dont think theres any team in the nfl who relies on one player as much as the colts do. Thats quite a weakness

9. bobzilla

bobzilla New Member

Well its no secret Peyton is the man, but you may want to look at the 06 postseason a little closer.... When the defense comes to play, PM could play like Pennington and win...

10. tncolt55

tncolt55 New Member

The Jets have the best O line in the NFL hands down and Green is a big bruising back that is best late in the game. The Jets defense is very good but they are not the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears, but they are very good. They have a little above average wide outs and a good TE. I think Sanchez will be the key to this game, can he make enough plays in the passing game to keep the chains moving early in the game? It will be important for the Jets to throw it well early and if they can't they will be punting it to Peyton and I dont care how great your defense is there is no defense for the perfect throw. Make no mistake, this is not Phillip Rivers. The Chargers are a one trick pony and we are not, they depend on the deep ball and Peyton will take what you give him all day long. In the first game I do not remember him getting touched at all or under pressure at all. Do not forget Garcon did not play in that game either so he was already limited at receiver. I can't get over the Jets body language in that game until we pulled Peyton. They looked defeated and like they were just going through the motions until Peyton was pulled then they got new life.

I mean if you think you will get the same production out of us as you got from the Chargers you are wrong. We are a far more complete offense than they are. I think the Jets have a chance at winning but it will be tough to play perfect for all 4 quarters. I am telling you people do not understand how playing Peyton changes your approach to the way you play, it puts so much pressure on your offense and they start to feel like they have to be perfect and score every possession. Our defense is deceiving, before we played you the first time our run D was ranked 14th against the run and that game and the Buffalo game dropped it 10 spots alone. I do not think you have anyone who can shut down Clark, he will be a big part of the Colts offensive game plan.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

as we have been hearing all post season i'm getting the impression the Colts fans are starting to think we are way overrated...

it started off promising but the true colors are now coming through...

i hope your players aren't making the same mistake our last 2 opponents made but i have a feeling they will...

12. 624

624 Banned

We were missing on of our best corners that game to make up for Garcon, just to add. Our team is playing so much better and so much more confidently now then the team you saw in the game we were only down 15-10 into the 3rd quarter against a 14-0 team, when we are a 2nd half team.

Our running game usually doesn't open up until the 2nd half and we were very in this game.

13. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

You cant count the ravens game because they abandoned the run way too early when they did not need to. They rushed only 19 times the whole game.......lol We will rush atleast 30 times......

14. tncolt55

tncolt55 New Member

I agree they are a different team now but so are we, there was nothing on the line for us that game. What CB was out?

15. Maximus

Maximus New Member

The New York Jets are in trouble.

As everyone knows, they try to control what Mark Sanchez does and put him in positions to make big, but safe plays.

The Jets have scored 38 offensive touchdowns this season (including the playoffs). 11 of them have come from 29 yards out or more. That's nearly 30% of their total touchdowns. In the playoffs, that ratio has sky rocketed. 3 of the Jets 5 playoff touchdowns have come on plays of at least 39 yards. It's clear that though the Jets are a run heavy team, they depend on big plays to take the pressure off Sanchez. When a team has a young quarterback, they know that long 10 or 15 play drives are going to be hard to come by. They seek to exploit mistakes in coverage and set up big plays. They know they can't afford the long brutal drives because they inevitably lead to multiple third downs where the quarter back HAS to make a play. It is a critical factor in Jets wins. On the season they have scored a long touchdown in 6 of their 11 wins. The only teams they've beaten without a big play for a score were Buffalo, Tennessee, Carolina, Indianapolis (though they did have a kick return and a fumble returned for scores), and the Pats early in the season.

Now here's the bad news for the Jets:

The Colts don't allow big play touchdowns. Or big plays of any kind, really.

On the season, the Colts have allowed just 29 touchdowns. Of those, just four were longer than 17 yards, and two of those (21 and 41 yard passes by the Bills) came in the final game with backups playing in a snow storm. Other than that, Indy allowed just two legitimate long scores on the season. One was the 64 yard run by Frank Gore where two players ran into each other, and the other was a 63 yard pass from Brady to Moss. You'll have that every once in a while.

As for big plays of any type, the Colts allowed the fewest passing plays of 20 yards or more in the league with 27 (four fewer than the Jets). They were 8th in plays of 40+ yards, but if you take out the ball Owens caught in week 17, they jump to 5th. They allowed the 10th fewest runs of 20 yards or more (9), but allowed four of those in the final 2 1/2 quarters against the Bills. 5 runs of that length would have lead the NFL. They allowed only one run of 40+ yards this year, the Gore TD.

The simple fact is that this matchup is a nightmare for the Jets offense. The Colts are going to take away the big from the Jets, which means that they'll have to score in other ways. One is obviously special teams. Unfortunately for the Jets, they have only one such score on the season. Granted it did come against the Colts, but it was moments after the players had been informed the starters would be sitting in the second half. That return is also the only one the Colts have given up this season. While it could happen again, the odds would certainly seem to be against it.

So if they can't get big plays and can't count on returns, the Jets will have to lean on their defense to create turnovers and scoring opportunities for the offense.

Ah, but there's the rub. The Colts defense has been ridiculous at keeping other teams out of the end zone after turnovers. Only twice this season has an opponent converted an Indy turnover into a touchdown. The first was at Jacksonville and the second was the Painter fumble that the Jets scored on. If the plan is to create short fields for the offense, it could work, but is seems unlikely those fields will result in touchdowns.

So all that's left to the Jets is to hope for long drives that will end with excellent red zone execution. The problem is that the Jets are just 18th in the league in converting red zone chances for touchdowns at 50%. The Colts defense is 9th in the league at 47%. So that means any red zone opportunity for the Jets will be a coin flip proposition at best.

Let's assume for a moment that the Colts managed to score 17-20 points. That's a safe guess based on the previous matchup. Frankly, I think it's low, but we'll give it to the Jets as their best case scenario. They've allowed 14 points each of their last two games, but both featured multiple missed field goals, and the odds of Indy missing more than one on Sunday are low. My question is how are the Jets going to get the 21 points they'll likely need to win this game? Where are they going to come from?

Finally I'll leave you all with this stat:

The 2009 Jets are 1-6 when allowing at least 16 points in a game. They are 0-5 when allowing 18 points or more.

18to88.com/2010-archives/janu...rformance.html

#55 Maximus, Jan 19, 2010
  16. bobzilla

bobzilla New Member

Way overrated...NO... I just think Jets fans are putting too much stock in the #1 defensive status... Too many variables to say which offense and defense is #1... If I had to choose any defense, it would be Minnesota... I don't know what they're ranked but they get after the ball...

Even with Revis, I think the Colts defense will play better Sunday... To be fair, I rarely watch the Jets unless they are playing Miami or the Pats, so I pull for them at least 4 times per year... Those games didn't impress me much this season except the away Pats game... I mean 60 points to the Dolphins?? WTF??
    ricky williams

17. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ah yes

They shut down the mighty Kansas City Chiefs offense @ Indy

And then followed it up by shutting down the mighty Baltimore Ravens Offense. The same mighty Ravens Offense who fired their offensive coordinator mid season because he sucked so much.

Look the Colts got great WRs, a good O line, one of the best QBS ever in the history of the nfl.

But the Colts defense is far from good

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

btw play like Pennington ?

The guy is the most accurate qb in the HISTORY of the nfl. Contrary to popular belief Pennington was an excellent quarterback. But he played in a stadium that required a strong arm and he just doesnt have one.

Not to mention hes had tons of shoulder problems.

19. GTechSuperChargerFan

Not a Jets fans obviously, but be careful.

1) The Bolts had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league, and didnt get 16 points.

2) Not sure how more "complete" the Colts offense is, other than being able to run more crossing routes. They still cant run.

3) The Bolts defense didnt allow big plays either. More so than the Colts statistically. Didnt matter, really. That running game of the Jets really wears you down.

I see a closer game than you may think, but then again, my Bolts just got embarassed...

20. 624

624 Banned

Props to you for sticking around while most Chargers fans haven't resurfaced, it's nice to get an unbiased opinion.