Where would we be if Leon did not get hurt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Shonn Greene has been an absolute beast. His contributions on offense is one of the reasons we are playing in the AFC title game.

But was thinking, had Leon not went down, Greene gets maybe 5 touches a game? Don't get me wrong, I love Neon Leon, but was wondering what if anything might have been different.

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys.

:manning:

2. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

there's a good chance that leon would've been rested for this part of the season in Shonn's place. instead of a power back with fresh legs, it would be speed back with fresh legs. my theory anyway.

3. quadcityjetsfan76

It's too hard to tell. I think if Leon was healthy all year, Greene doesn't do what he has done, for sure. I also think we would have been a little more productiv ein the passing game on the swings passes and screens to Leon. This all may have made us a more balanced team, but not necessarily better. I hope I worded this to thoroughly confuse the matter at hand. I guess, to sum it up, we would probably be a playoff team. However, Greene has been too BIG in the playoffs to think we would have won those 2 games without him.

4. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I think Ryan would realize what he has in Greene and steadily increase his touches. He would alternate with TJ, not Leon...

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This..........

Trust me, this staff is not full of dummies, as evidenced by the last few months. They see what goes on in practice. They know who is going well and who isn't. Greene would have gotten his touches and been a beast regardless. imo

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We all know Leon Washington is a big play guy. Having him in the lineup would probably not result in less big plays for our offense... Maybe Greene doesn't get as many touches but Leon getting the ball has never been a bad thing so fuck it.

7. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

What is true is that Leon would open up for some more play action with some swing passing . We still would have those 2 power backs. Imagine next year if we keep all 3. Wow! How amazing would that be?

8. DustinK

DustinK New Member

We would be in the AFCCG.

Oh wait....

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The only power back is Greene. Jones for all his biceps isn't close to being a power back. He is a Curtis Martin type runner.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

how good would the def be with Jenkins?

point in case we lost two of our top players and have risen above it all. I do think Leon wouldve been great to help Sanchez develop but we dont have the luxury this year.

either way I'm just elated at the fact were this far. its really gotta be frustrating to be Leon or Lunchbox right now.

11. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

very true, Jones doesnt really break contact like Greene. People think he is a power back because he is a strong guy, which he is but Jones avoids tacklers a lot more with cutbacks while Greene simply knocks them over

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What do you mean where would we be? We're in the AFC Championship game despite losing Leon AND Jenkins.

As far as what ifs, I think Sanchez would have had a better season if he were able to dumb balls to Leon. I still believe the CS would have split time between Greene and TJ towards the end of the season.

13. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

exactly...

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im curious as to what people think is in store for the jets ground game next year with Leon back.

I mean Greene is too good to be a number 3 back, and jones is getting old.

Possibly TJ could see the biggest reduction in his number of carries to help keep him fresh ?

And Leon mostly used for screens/passes ?

Ive also heard people thinking TJ could be traded, or Leon could be let go ?

Curious as to what others think

15. Quack

Quack New Member

I would think that the primary rusher would be Greene with Washington coming in on passing downs and TJ being a spell back as well as maybe our goal line and short yardage back since he does leap over the pile pretty well. He may trip and fall over for two yards every time, but when you only need one yard, that isn't a bad thing at all.

16. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

Even before Leon went down, we started getting Greene some more playing time when he was healthy, starting week 4 against the Saints. I think Greene still would have seen a substantial amount of touches as the season went on, but this number no doubtedly became larger once Leon got that unfortunate fucking injury.

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we would already be champions??

i don't know

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i think its way to early to say Greene is our full time back....i think they should have split carries ALL year next year and LW should be used on 3rd down

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

What about the possibility of the jets going with a 2 halfback formation ?

Similar to Baltimore. And with the threat of passing to leon or handing it off to the big backs, i could this working.

Not to mention the Jets have more than enough similarities to Baltimore so I could see it working.

And alwayys with the potential of Tony Richardson retiring, youd have even more reason to change.

20. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Where would we be???

I dunno... AFCCG?