CHFF prediction: Jets 23, Chargers 20

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mst3000, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Cold Hard Football Facts picks the Jets to win in San Diego this weekend.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Oh man I'm so pumped! Come on Jets!

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know CHFF's report sounds great to me! But...

Just because the Bolts have not faced a pass D like the Jets have does not, in and of itself, mean that they will fail against it.

Season long rankings are generated against a variety of different types of opponents. How that translates into a particular matchup is always problematic.

I think I'm just overloaded with stat based arguments...

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

same score as what 'madden' simulated.

6. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

I'm with ya there bro.

Lets play the damn game!

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Riddle me this batman....who would you rather face...

Miami and Buffalo twice...or Oakland and KC....Nuff said.

Most common opponent.....Cincy...we dominated twice...SD survived...

Most apt comparison to SD...N.O. we gave up 10 to them offensively..in week 4 of a new system.

8. Salz

Salz New Member

That's a very good analysis. I really feel we will win this game. The Colts are another story, though. Lets hope the Ravens take care of business tomorrow!

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Now those are some more valid indicators.

I know there are some real mean rivalries in the AFC West, but not only do they not really compare to the East rivalries, the thing that the Bolt fans don't seem to acknowledge is there were no easy outs in the AFC East this year. The hatred these teams have for each other coupled with the fact that no team was near as bad as either KC or Oakland means each divisional game was about as tough as any played this year. Four of the Jets' losses, which is too much, but here's the point, were against divisional opponents. It's just that kind of division.

The Jets split with NE and lost twice to Miami. Does that mean Miami is better than NE? No - it's just the AFC East, dude.

The NO game was one the Jets should have won but for turnovers. Yeah, if the Jets turn it over on Sunday too much, they will lose. Otherwise probably not.

The Cincy comparitor is of real guidance, I think. The Bengals had the SD game in their hands until Caldwell fumbled backwards, losing twenty. That took them out of a reasonable chance for a TD. On SD's ensuing possession their big play was a screw up by Cincy's secondary allowing an out pattern and stopping the clock. If that play had gone down in the middle of the field, time would have run out and the game gone to OT.

Meanwhile the Jets beat Cincy by two scores after killing them in the last regular season game.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. I think the Jets D vs...N.O.
    And NYJ vs. Cincy and SD vs Cincy...give an indication of where this game SHOULD go.

Bottom Line is...the Jets are the stronger team...right now.

They Should win on sunday....but...we all know why they lay the games.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good analysis... makes sense to me. I can't wait for Sunday!

12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

So then screw the stats. Use just one stat...time of possesion. What would you take if you had to pick a team...a team with the number one rushing offense against a team ranked 26th against the run.

Thats it..end of story. There is no other stat that matters. Unless the Jets were "hiding" something...like a poor defense..and needed to have success running the ball all day.

What I took from the Bengals games was one thing. You can no longer defend the Jets straight up. Teams that were putting 8 in the box to make Sanchez beat them are doing it to just attempt to stop that running game. If Sanchez success last week was due to having 8 in the box....what will the Chargers do this week? Make Sanchez beat them? He will beat you if you crowd the box.

If the Chargers look at the game films over the past two weeks and decide to play the Jets straight up...its game over. You cant have the 26th ranked rushing defense and try to stop this running attack without cheating. I havent seen many offensive lines play as well as this one has recently. The ones I do remember are from some great teams.

The only way the Jets do not stay in this game for the duration..or win this game with a bit of room is if the Chargers come out and blow the Jets out in the first 10 minutes of the game.

13. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

A lot of people have been picking the Jets today! I'm so ready for this game!

14. Colintes

Colintes New Member

lol Madden 10 simulation of the game picked the Jets 23-20 also..... It must be true. Championship!

http://espn.go.com/videogames/simulation/nfl2010?id=4824915

"With the score tied at 20 with under two minutes left on the clock, Jay Feely nailed a 44-yard field goal to help the Jets upset the Chargers, 23-20.

That's right, the Jets, a team that some say backed into the playoffs, have pulled off their second upset in a row thanks to Feely, a strong three-headed running attack, and the improved play of rookie Mark Sanchez. In fact, Sanchez threw for 233 yards, including one touchdown and only one interception as he led the Jets downfield to setup the game-winning field goal.

Antonio Gates had a big game in the loss for San Diego, catching eight passes for 101 yards and a score. But it was a pass that he couldn't keep his hands on that proved to be the difference maker as Rivers tried to rifle one to his big tight end across the middle, but Kerry Rhodes got his hands on the ball first, picking off the pass with under a minute left in the game to ice things for New York. "

15. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We also demolished Oakland, who they barely got by twice. Of course divisional matchups are always a bit different.

16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

That was week two during our annual starting out slow month and a game after losing Jamal Williams for the season and our starting OC for the next 14 weeks. LT didnt play either.

Rivers threw for 436 yards in that game to knock them down a few notches in their pass defense. Ill settle for 300 yds and a few TD's againt the Jets.

17. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Lmao I honestly wouldn't be shocked in the least if this was the exact same outcome

I sort of expect us to win with a Feely FG at the end of the 4th quarter to beat the Chargers lol

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Feely isn't on the Giants anymore.

19. GTechSuperChargerFan

That's right - common opponent arguments are some of the most flawed ones you can possibly have. They are the curse of death for sports bettors, trust me. Situations, injuries, personnel differences, weather, momentum of a team (resting starters) - all these factors are not considered when doing this analysis.

If you really watched the Cincy game, it would be apparent that one really bad bounce off Gates usually sure hands for a pick was the difference between a double digit win and a Kaeding walk-off. And it's not like the Bengals were playing with a bye on the line or with tremendous emotion and determination because a team member had died...not at all.

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

We beat Miami, you lost to them twice and you lost to Buffalo once and we beat Cinci. We didnt get by.
    Games wasnt as close as the score. And they missed two FG's last week. You didnt dominate them ......even while Palmer played like crap and yes, he played like crap. Throwing high and behind recievers all day even when he had time to throw.

#20 Boltjolt, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010