If Jets Win the Toss Should They Defer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 14, 2010.

?

Should the Jets defer if they win the toss?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Definitely defer. Gives the Jets a chance to stop SD once before they get the ball (and if they can't stop SD consistently on Sunday they're going to lose anyway), and it gives them the ball first in the second half which lets them do swingy things with the score mid game.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

NO!!!!

Score and score early. A nice 7.5 minute drive to open the game with a TJ TD...

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

We have a much better chance of stopping them than us driving the distance for a score. By stopping them, we most likely will get good field position and have a much higher chance to score. I don't have any stats handy, but I bet if you look at how often the Jets have scored on their opening possession this year while starting with the football, it's probably not that much

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we totally are and don't get me wrong if they defer I won't be angry because as you have stated and i agree with it is what has worked...

just looking at the matchups at the type of game this is going to be it may be worth taking a different approach...is it going to be a gamebreaking decision? probably not but it could really set the tone for the way the game goes

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'd rather have the ball to start the 2nd half......especially if we go into the half with the lead......

Starting off the 2nd half with a long drive that ends up in points is a potential momentum killer....Rex knows this. Let's use the defense and play OUR game.

6. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

always defer. A strong 3-and-out to start the game and you've basically got the ball to start both halves.

Plus, by deferring you've got the benefit of seeing a half's worth of the other teams defensive preparations, which you can use to your advantage on a 2nd half opening drive.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I agree. This is how it should be.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

The double possession is always nice especially scoring on both. It's like having a free set of downs.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree with a lot of you. This isn't going to be a possession game by any means. If the Jets are going to pull this off then outside of a San Diego meltdown, we're going to need to score. San Diego WILL score on us, and if the offense doesn't provide points support early the game can get out of hand quickly.

If I were San Diego, I'd be looking to bury the game before it starts... giving them the ball first plays right into their hands.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

O ye, of little faith

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I only see this scenario happening if somehow our defense breaks down...and we're down a couple of TD's.

I believe our defense will hold...and cause there fair share of three and outs.......Rex believes in his defense and so do i. He's ridden the D this far...why stop now?

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

wasn't this the same guy that predicted a 12-4 season for the Jets :wink:

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

To quote the immortal Sparky Anderson ... "Dance with who brung ya"

DEFER as we always do ... I like starting with the ball in the second half, just in case we need a score to change momentum (ala Brad Smith) ... or possibly score twice in a row if we put late points up as the first half is ending.

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Seriously though, if that's the case then it won't matter if we defer or not. For crying out loud they don't have Peyton Manning up there. We can beat these guys. Stop with the panic because if they are gonna chump us they're gonna chump us. Who gets the ball won't matter then.

If the Chargers score quick in either circumstance our offense has the same duty to run the clock regardless. So in that case, if and when it gets to half and you have an opportunity to double score you take it buy deferring in the beginning. Throw in some turnovers by our defense and we win.

#34 Denny, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  15. xxedge72x

The defense has to perform regardless. I'm not trying to make the kickoff out to be a bigger deal than it is, if under any scenario SD gets the ball first then the defense still needs to do their thing.

I'm only disagreeing with the strategy to go to SD first. I think the whole team benefits more from the Jets getting the ball first (especially if they score).

Theoretically, if the Jets go up by 7 it immediately allows the Jets to be more aggressive in their defensive playcalling. When the Jets took the lead vs CIN they really dialed up the aggressiveness on D and that was what really made CIN turn to dust. I want to see the same thing happen against SD.

Also, I did predict 12-4, and while I was way off, I was right about this team being awesome. I'm still in love with this team and the future that's ahead of us. It'd be especially sweet if that future was now, something nobody thought. :beer:

16. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

I'll admit I haven't read ALL of the responses so I'm sorry if someone already mentioned this

but I would Defer because I'd like to take a big chunk of time on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter. Especially if it's a close game. Not only is our running game usually stronger in the second half, but it's also when SD will probably be passing more so I'd love to keep Rivers on the bench for the first 8-10 minutes of the 2nd half

17. xxedge72x

Whose panicking? I just see the strategy a different way.

All I'm saying is that its to the Jets benefit to try to get up early as they seem to do better on both sides of the ball when ahead.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The chances of the Jets offense driving about 80 yards for a TD just aren't that good. Most of our scoring drives come off of a short field setup by our defense. We need to put our strongest unit out there to start the game and hopefully set the offense up with that short field they're accustomed to seeing.

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I happen to agree with you on this...

I don't think its a game breaker but if we can get up early that really allows the Jets to control the pace...if the chargers score opening drive the last thing we want is to put pressure on our offense when it isn't needed

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's even better than that. If you can hold the ball on a long scoring drive to close the 1st half then getting the ball to start the 2nd is the same thing as a turnover in your favor in turns of swingyness.

As an example: let's say the Chargers are leading the Jets 10-7 and then the Jets march down the field on a long drive to end the first half. If they score 7 they're up 4 points and getting the ball first after halftime. If they kick a FG then they're tied and getting the ball. Both scenarios are critical midgame swings, if the Jets can score on both drives.