Chargers Fans Take on the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. GTechSuperChargerFan

Dude, it was a regular season game. Not the Playoffs.

Cro is an adequate starting corner, and he can still drape guys...but he also, like you said, bull-waves his tackles. Ole'!

2. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

He must at least be a better tackler than Asante Samuel. He missed nearly 20 tackles this year.

3. GTechSuperChargerFan

What's an "elite" receiver? Top 7 or 8 in the game?

Then yeah, he is.

If you refer to top 2 or 3, then, no, probably not just yet.

4. GTechSuperChargerFan

Yeah, you have a great goal-line running game...but the 20th ranked offense overall, so not sure how many times you will get down there.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Elite doesn't go past 3, maybe 4 if there its close.

6. GTechSuperChargerFan

Fair enough. If revis shuts down VJ I will be a believer. It is hard for those who have not seen him to realize how good he is, just as it is hard for most Jets fans, who have not seen VJ in action very much, to realize how good he is as well.

7. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's fair.

I do remember that Jackson had a lot of big catches last year for long gains. It was his breakout season.

He'll get into the conversation soon.

Revis is at his best with the deep routes because he can run with anyone. What is the interesting thing is that Jackson can jump higher. That's the advantage.

How does Jackson do with underneath routes, slants, etc?

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

And that hardly does him justice. All the little things he does are what makes him great, like forcing the receiver into places where it's nigh impossible to make the catch.
    I'm hoping Revis can neutralize Jackson's vertical advantage with better positioning and timing. Before any SD fan gets worked up over this, the key word is hoping.

#369 BadgerOnLSD, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

Good question. Considering that VJ is not only tall, but very physical, he outweighs Revis by 30 lbs. I don't think Revis has played anyone over 215 lbs. To that end, VJ has been able to get off the initial hit and run a slant, allowing Rivers to essentially have up to three big, tall dudes to select from (if Gates and Floyd also muddy up the middle.

This, of course, is not easy. Revis is probably the most physical specimen I've seen at 200 lbs and fast as a whip. But if Norv elects to keep VJ as a virtual second tight end more often, that may tighten the box for the rest of the dbs on one hand, but on the other hand give Rivers to get rid of the ball quickly to a choice of several large targets.

Incidentally, this is one reason why VJ has the largest YPC, 17, in the NFL.

This will be interesting to see how it's played. I believe that with the 30 lb. difference, VJ gets that half-step on an inside slant after getting away from Revis's hit. If he goes long, then Revis should easily stay step for step, and Rivers will have to make accurate throws to where only VJ can attack the ball, usually above the rim. It can be done, but I suspect that I'm going to see a lot more short passes than expected this time around.

11. GTechSuperChargerFan

So here's the thing...VJ is a great route runner, and he typically separates himself from the defender, but there are certainly many times where he simply outjumps the well-positioned defender for the ball.

If Revis plays his game, he most likely will be in the same vicinity as VJ, but I don't know if he has been challenged with the jump ball as much as VJ and Rivers have worked on it. It is almost a designed play - VJ will be ready to jump, unlike most long pass plays in which the receiver is not really expecting the ball behind them or having to outjump someone.

Gates is the same deal - he expects every play to outjump his defender, and his basketball skills (elite 8, all-american) reflect his "boxing out" style. VJ, it has been said, is a special bball player in his own right, and uses that style in football as well.

It will certainly be a very interesting matchup. If Revis can guard VJ, and knock those balls down, he can guard anyone.

VJ does not run a whole lot of underneath routes.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's the key to this battle. And hopefully the guys up front can disrupt the timing of Rivers. He has the ability to place the ball in spots that only his guy can get to. But it doesn't take much to throw this timing off.

I can't wait for this game to get underway. After much consideration, I decided to stay home and watch the game from my couch. I don't want to miss a play.

13. ........

........ Trolls

He's not elite yet. What has concerned me this week is that he's extremely physical. Obviously he's not going to overcome Revis, but Revis is going to have a much more difficult time manhandling him at the LOS. That's been one of the keys to his success, and VJax goes a long way towards neutralizing that. He's probably the most physical player on that offense today, and that says something.

14. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

I really don't see that happening with Revis, to be honest. I've seen tape on him, and he can anticipate the jump as well as anyone. I don't think PR will push the envelope too often with this type of play, unless the game is late and the Bolts need to come back; but by then Rivers will probably use other options.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

16. ........

........ Trolls

There was a hell of a lot of excitement in your fanbase back then. If you had told me that season that Jammer would prove to be the better cover corner in 2009, I'd have laughed in your face. And yet, that's exactly where we are. Jammer's come a long way since his notoriously contentious times with your fans. Both corners are good, but I'm not sure I'd call either one great at this point. As a tandem, they're quite effective.

17. GTechSuperChargerFan

I know people will laugh at me for this, especially when you have a guy named Revis, but I think it has been known by hardcore Bolts fans for the past 3 or 4 years that Jammer is a top 10 corner in the NFL. He doesn't get the picks, but he's extremely consistent and solid.

Just my perception from being a fan.

Cro has no excuses anymore.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Cromartie got a lot of his picks during his rookie year thanks to Wade Phillips' system which works wonders for ball hawks. Cromartie was allowed to free-lance more thanks to the constant pressure Wade's system brought. After Cottrell took over, the D was in the shitter as far as...anything, really. That's why Cromartie was victimized so much for a season and a half. Rivera has helped build them back up and he he carries a fair bit of knowledge for just about every position.

As for Jammer, the guy has been in the league since 2002 and has had some talented coaches in his ear. Between Phillips, Rivera, and general experience, you should have expected him to turn into something productive by now at the latest.

San Diego delenda est.

19. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

OK, I won't quibble over 5 lbs. But 220 is usually the upper end of the speed route guys. 230 is an anomoly. It would be bitchin' to see this matchup play out a few times, but it's probably not going to happen.

It seems that the bulk of the conversations have been SD Offense vs. NYJ Defense, but there are some things I'd like to talk about with regard to the NYJ passing game that many fellow Bolt fans may be missing. Be back in a few hours.

20. uknowmysteelo

uknowmysteelo New Member

Actually, the year Cromartie had 10 INT's Ted Cottrell was still the defensive coordinator 2007. That year the Bolts were around the middle of the pack defensively. Cottrell's defense was set up so the secondary could make plays whereas Wade's defense used more of an attacking style. It was in 2008 that the defense fell completely apart and Cottrell was fired and replaced by Rivera.