Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

No, I guess you don't want to be "that guy". :shit:

2. 624

624 Banned

Running games and Dominant defenses win in the post season, passing and flashiness rarely wins Superbowls, but can rack up regular season wins.

You can use the Phoenix Suns as an example, they win 50-65 games a season and put up gaudy numbers, but once the playoffs come around the defensive Spurs or Pistons shut them down.

I would think as a Chargers fan you know that "seeding" in the playoffs means jack shit. (14-2?)

3. sdbound

sdbound New Member

I don't know if Jet fans caught most of it but the Turd fans took great offense to the percieved slight of Sanchez eating a hotdog during the game. Personally I didn't see what the big deal was considering the situation and the fact that Sanchez was tring to be discrete but, anything that gets the Raider nation panties in a knot is amusing to me.

#643 sdbound, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Especially when the coach changes the game plan in the parking lot before the game. :mad:

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

That Carolina game was later in the year and Atlanta was week 15 or 16. All i know is somebody on your forum said NOBODY has stopped your run game and it looks like it has been slowed a handful of times.

6. stizzy78

stizzy78 New Member

The guys on Inside the NFL could not have given less love to the Jets or more love to the Chargers. In case you didn't know Seau was from SoCal he mentioned it 13 times.

Put a different logo on the helmet and a team with the Jets stats would be getting a lot more respect.

That's fine...."the no one believes in us" card will be a huge motivator this week...and next

7. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

It has rarely been slowed down except for like 1 or 2 games.

I don't expect it to be shutdown this game.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

5 maybe? Just saying it can be done and Atlanta isnt a top run defense either.

Titans held you to 83 yards and 2.7 YPC
    Patriots held you to 83 as well at 4.3 YPC
    Jax to 110 and a 3.8 YPC
    Atlanta to 99 and only 3.0 YPC
    Carolina 136 yard but only 3.6 YPC...so you ran it alot

9. Marblex

Marblex New Member

I want to say that I totally agree with this. But...

Currently, the top five defenses in the NFL are a combined 44-21; the top five offenses are 56-9.

The top five rushing teams are 37-28; the top five passing teams are 50-15.

I know, I know, its regular season and post season is different. But it says that the passing game is the most important area of the overall game. This must be true because you guys have a great running O, and are against an average run D, which indicates you would be successful. We have a great Pass O, and are against a great pass D. This would indicate we wouldn't be so successful (certainly not as successful as your great runing game against our average run D).

On paper (assuming offense is as important as defense, and running is as important as passing), this would give you guys a clear advantage in this game. Yet the Chargers are generally favored by experts/Vegas etc.

My point is, a good passing game is a bigger threat than a good running game, although both have their advantages and disadvantages.

To be honest, I don't even know why I posted this. I guess I'm just bored and the week seems to be going so damn slow.

#649 Marblex, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. 624

624 Banned

Very well said and those stats do make it interesting, I just think the record(13-3 vs 9-7) completely erases those team stats you brought up, but having a rookie QB your team will find ways to lose, and that's what we did in our 6 losses by 5 points or less.

I think it'll either be a close win by us or a blowout by you guys, you just have a better and more experienced roster then us.

I think our roster may be more talented, but currently your team has better players.

11. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Yeah I posted all that, then realised it was irrelevant because of what you said about the playoffs being totally different than the playoffs (and me agreeing). But I put too much effort into it to delete it so... ;)

And I totally agree. Although I think it could be a close win by either team. If your run game keeps up with our passing game it will be very close, one way or the other.

As for a blow out, could happen. If we put up a couple of TDs quickly and force you to punt, and you have to throw to come back, it will most likely be over quickly (as much as I despise coming across as cocky). Though I don't think this will happen.

I would like to think we win by a touchdown. Although if I was a Jet fan, I'd probably be saying the opposite. I guess that shows how close this game could be.

12. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

13. shockwave

shockwave New Member

Because we all know that anyone can be effective in a Championship game with torn ligaments in their knee.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what's scary is that the teams that play old school football won the game last weekend minus the Cards/Packers shootout. Those other aerial attacks failed to win.

I'll go one step further. The teams that have run the ball and played defense have won the SB more often than those who play the shootout game. Not to say the jets will win the SB, they have a rookie QB and HC. They won't.

I think its an NFC Champion come February.

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Just some observations

San Diego scores a lot of points and they score them fast.

They score a lot thru the air.

If we get them into 3rd downs we must get them off the field which is very difficult because they are great at converting 3rd downs and can do so from any distance.

My first thought is to not blitz too much because San Diego does not allow a lot of sacks any way and Philip Rivers gets rid of the ball quickly. However remembering our 2008 matchup with the Chargers we were able to put a lot of pressure up the middle on him early and he was missing a lot of his throws. However when we lost Jenks to an injury to his back, Rivers went on to pick us apart. We must collapse the pocket in the middle and make Rivers uncomfortable in the pocket.

16. BuckMelanoma

BuckMelanoma New Member

I'm not going to bother to post stats - they only seem to be seen when they're in the Jets favor.

As for catchy phrases - that seems to catch your attention more, so maybe later in this post.

Some here would like to point to Chris Johnson's rushing totals against us as proof that our run D is inferior. He gained 67 yds. of his total after TN was down 35-10, mainly to pad his stats in order to go over 2K for the season.

There's one stat that matters & that's the final score. It won't be in your favor at the end of the day, just as it wasn't in the favor of 13 of our opponents this year.

Maybe some of you should leave your heads outside of the tanning bed next time. There's your catchy phrase for this post, guido.

17. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

As the saying goes....."Offense sells tickets; Defense wins championships."

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only way I can see the Jets winning this game is handily with some opportunistic turnovers early in the game, keeping it to a 2 score game by defending the pass with an aggressive attack on the Chargers' offensive backfield.

If it's a close one in the 4th quarter, we are most likely to lose... if our close games this season are anything to go by.

Rex switches to a zone in these situations and that does not fare well for our defense against a passing attack like the Chargers have.

19. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Yep, that's why they play the games. The only thing that matters is what happens on Sunday....certainly not any of this BS during the week spewed by a bunch of armchair players who aren't going to be between the white lines on Sunday.

We shall see come 00 game clock on Sunday.....and not a minute before. :jets:

:beer:

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I am with you here. A lot of people seem scared of blitzing them too much. Blitzing too much is what makes this defense effective. Blitzing too much has made them the #1 defense in many categories, against a tough schedule.

I don't get the idea of abandoning what works all year long in a pivotal playoff game.