Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

Actually sounds like I'm getting under your skin... I got called out on Monday for not 'backing it up'. I'm trying to support my boys...

Stats are only allowed to prop up the Jets I guess?

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

Titans held you to 83 yards and 2.7 YPC
    Patriots held you to 83 as well at 4.3 YPC
    Jax to 110 and a 3.8 YPC
    Atlanta to 99 and only 3.0 YPC
    Carolina 136 yard but only 3.6 YPC...so you ran it alot

So your run game can and has been slowed down. Not often but it can be and even when you ran for 136 on the Panthers , you ran it 40 times to get it.

Just saying you arent as stout as you claim. You just keep doing it and dont give up on the run because you have a rookie QB which is understandable.

#622 Boltjolt, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And we're supporting ours.

You won the other games because your passing game was dominant. No team sticks to the run like we do, and 4.5 yards per carry allowed is not very good. Can you play above your capabilities? Possibly. Like I said earlier, the question will be whether the yards turn into touchdowns and not field goals or worse. If they do, and Rivers doesn't tear us up with Gates/Sproles/Jackson/Floyd, we should win.

4. B1nary Bolt Fan

We agree. If the Jets can force field goals, I like their chances.

5. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Scouts Inc. New York at San Diego
    When: 4:40 PM ET
    Watch: CBS
    Preview

1. Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer: He got a game ball from me last week because he called one of his best games of the season in their most critical game of the season. They will need a similar performance from him this week; look for a similar approach. The Jets probably will come out running the ball early. Look for them to throw a lot of short underneath routes before eventually trying to stretch the field to keep the San Diego defense honest. This will allow them to re-establish the running game in the second half.

2. Jets QB Mark Sanchez: He played an excellent game last week, going 12 of 15. If not for two very easy drops he would have been 14 of 15. San Diego is an attacking style defense, which is a little different from that of the more vanilla Cincinnati Bengals. Sanchez had a lot of success outside the pocket last week with roll-outs and naked bootleg throws. He might have more trouble getting outside this week against a San Diego defense whose pressure comes off the edges. Look for Sanchez to throw a lot this week off three- and five-step drops from inside the pocket.

3. Chargers QB Philip Rivers: He was as hot as any QB in the NFL coming into the postseason; look for him to continue that trend this week. With No. 1 target Vincent Jackson being locked up one-on-one with Jets CB Darrelle Revis, Rivers will need to spread the ball around. The Jets are an attacking defense and Rivers is one of the best in the NFL at seeing and avoiding the blitz inside the pocket because of his deceptive short-area foot quickness. Look for him to get the ball downfield if the Jets' pressure can't get to him.

4. San Diego WRs Malcolm Floyd and Legedu Naanee must step up: With Jackson probably a non-factor against Revis it will be critical for the other receivers to step up and make plays. Floyd and Naanee will have a height advantage over the other Jets defensive backs, which should allow Rivers some opportunities to find one-on-one coverage down the field. If he sees this, he will put the ball up in the air and allow his much taller and more physical receivers to go up and get the ball.

5. Jets CB Darrelle Revis versus Chargers WR Vincent Jackson: This will be one of the best WR/CB matchups of the weekend. All season long, Revis has done an excellent job of taking away the opposing team's No. 1 WR, and you could make a case for him being the best CB in the NFL. Jackson has the speed to get vertical, but that will not happen against Revis. To get Jackson the ball, the best way to work Revis is to take him over the middle portion of the field.

6. The Jets' running game: It wasn't that surprising that the Jets tried to establish the run last week. The surprise was who got the majority of the carries: backup RB Shonn Greene. No matter who gets the touches -- and we believe it will be the hot hand between Greene and Thomas Jones -- they must establish the line of scrimmage and pound the ball once again. San Diego has good overall speed in their front seven, so look for the Jets to attack downfield between the tackles.

7. The Chargers' running game: When the coaches go to the tape this week it will be hard for them to think they can't establish the run against a Jets defense that was gashed by the Bengals last week. San Diego's game is similar to Cincinnati's base run in their power offense, where they pull the guard and follow up with a lead fullback in the hole. San Diego also will try some draws to suck the attacking defense up the field or some quick-hitting running plays against a Jets defense that flies up the field.

8. The Jets' blitz packages: The Jets love to bring blitz pressure and while we don't expect them to change their game plan much, don't be surprised if they do not blitz as often. Unlike Cincinnati last week, this is a big-play San Diego offense that can make plays downfield when challenged with blitz pressure. Look for the Jets to mix and match blitz pressure, occasionally dropping seven or eight defenders to try to clog passing lanes and force Rivers to hold onto the ball longer then he would like.

9. San Diego's screen game: The Chargers are one of the best screen teams in the NFL. Rivers does an excellent job of sucking in the defense and backup RB Darren Sproles is one of the best in the NFL with the ball in his hands. One of the best plays against an attacking defense is the screen, and the Chargers will use that to their advantage.

10. Jets S Kerry Rhodes versus Chargers TE Antonio Gates: Gates has a chance to be an X factor this week. San Diego has struggled to run the ball with LaDainian Tomlinson all season long and Jackson probably won't be a big factor with Revis on him. That puts Gates into the spotlight and he has an advantage against Rhodes, who is very good in pass coverage but tends to gamble at times and get out of position.

Prediction
    New York 17
    San Diego 27

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

i think that our defense is great. i do believe that against the bengal we gave up the run. i would like to see us play very physical. the key here is to take away their passing offense. with no pass offense they are nothing. their passing offense is what has gotten them 11 straight wins. Get to rivers, knock him around, and i think we will win. their rush defense is weak and will not be able to stop shonn greene. hes to quick and strong. he would bounce of tackles and break tackles for a lot of yards. i think this game will be one hell of an event

7. B1nary Bolt Fan

Damn, I just watched your last game on NFL replay.... Carson Palmer was just dreadful. Bengals as a whole just looked and played like crap. Its hard to believe the score wasn't 37 - 14.

Unquestionably, the Jets were the better team, but the Bengals suffered EPIC FAIL. Benson, however, made your own run D look vulnerable.

8. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

9. 624

624 Banned

The first 4-5 games of the season our Run offense was average, Thomas Jones usually starts slow and Braylon Edwards made our run game 50% better after the week 5 trade, there is no way to argue with stats about the #1 statistical running game in the NFL.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

BobGlauber

J-E-T-S??? RT @SI_JimTrotter Was stunned when I looked up Rivers' plyff numbers: 3-3 record, 7 tds, 7 ints, 56% completion. 3 gms w 0 TDs. about 2 hours ago from TinyTwitter

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

12. Marblex

Marblex New Member

To be fair, a more accurate stat would be yards per carry, but since you are still 5th in that category, it doesn't change the fact that your running offense is excellent.

You have to face facts, we aren't going to be able to stop your running game, we can only hope to contain it, just like you won't be able to stop our passing game and will have to try and contain it. That is what makes this matchup so interesting.

13. sdbound

sdbound New Member

And yet the 31st and 32nd running offenses are the #1 and #2 seeds. The stat boy world is upside down.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

The Jets should wear the white Titan throwbacks to fuck with the Chargers.

I'm kidding, of course.

15. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

16. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

If it makes you feel better....

17. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

I thought it was funny. Gotta lighten it up a little....no joking around here?

The banter needs a little break every once in a while.

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Nah its cool. I can take the joking. You should have seen what I really wanted to say. It was against my better judgment though...so its not there for obvious reasons...

19. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

It's cool, say what you want....I don't take anything personally on the internet. It's all in fun...

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

True, but there are rules, and I am a mod. I guess you can say it's like a cop breaking the law because he can. I can't be that guy, right?