Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez, QB, NY Jets

[​IMG]

Philip Rivers, QB, SD Chargers

[​IMG]

/thread

2. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

For your run game to make a difference, you'll have to be consistent with it. The Chargers started the season #31 against the run. If you throw out their first 5 games, they'd be #10. If you check December, they'd be #4, including allowing Chris Johnson to run wild after the game was out of reach.

If you want to give Sanchez credit for playing better at the end of the season, its fair to give the Chargers D the same credit.

With all its prowess, your run game only created 7 first downs last week. Sanchez got the other 8. Jones was ineffective and Greene has some very nice runs, one for 39 and a TD if I remember correctly...

I think the Chargers will probably force you to work from deep in your own territory for most of the day... They do that and you're run game can get 160 yards and still lose.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Bailey has been riding his name for accolades the last 2 or 3 years ya.

and just for devils advocate even if you want to give Champ 06 as his "greatest year", DEN/OAK hasnt had a front 7 as good as this one. which says alot more than Rivers vs Champ could say.

4. TWDC

TWDC New Member

All that stat does for you is prove that the jets are also capable of moving the ball through the air.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You shut down the Redskins. Good job.

Throwing out VY's 6 carries for 40 yards, Chris Johnson had 21 carries for 142 yards.

Cincinnati ran for 114 yards on 21 carries. 5.4 yards per carry.

Dallas had 27 carries for 108 yards. 4 yards per carry.

Cleveland had 22 carries for 115 yards, 5.2 yards per carry.

Which one of these games do you want credit for? The Jets will NOT abandon the run, and their defense won't let you get out to a huge lead early like you did vs Tennessee.

6. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If, if , if , if...were getting kind of tired of your "ifs'.

We know your run defense is vulnerable, there's nothing you can say to make it better. You have to give us respect as the #1 run offense, just like we are giving you respect as a great passing offense. Just stop trying to polish the turd and deal with it already. The more you argue the more nervous and insecure it makes you seem.

7. ........

........ Trolls

I'll give your team credit for bailing out the run defense. You guys surrendered 4.5 YPC in the first 5 games and 4.9 YPC in the LAST 5 games. However, your team was able to jump out enough in most of those games to render the problems with the run defense irrelevant. That also included, BTW, your game against the 4th string Redskins RB.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's it right there. For them to shut our run down there offense will need to jump out to a big lead. That's obviously something they're fully capable of, but I trust our D.

9. sdbound

sdbound New Member

And there is the Chargers defensive game plan in a nutshell, slow the run at the risk of the passing game.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

Don't you think the Bengals had the same plan?

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Congratulations, you wrote that down. Now it's guaranteed to work.

San Diego delenda est.

12. ........

........ Trolls

So, what you're saying is your avatar's a beard. Got it.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

Im not disagreeing but you do know that our starters played only two series against the Redskins right? Everybody that didnt hardly play or was inactive all year was in that game. Went up 10-0 and sat the starters from there on and some didnt even suit up like Vince Jackson and Merriman to name two.

#613 Boltjolt, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  14. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Yes, and the Raiders probibly did as well. That's history. That's the beauty of the playoffs, none of that other stuff matters beyond the planning stage.

Our teams are hunkerred down putting together their game plans. What will work? What won't? How they evolve after the first snap is going to be interesting.

Barring Charger turnovers at the beginning of the game I suspect the game will go down along the lines of the Titans Chargers Chrismas game.

15. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Thank you! I'll be here all week.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, but you're still counting the stats from the game in your assertion that the run defense has improved. In the 4 games prior to that, the average for teams was likely closer to 5.5 YPC.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

My point is that everyone who has played the Jets came into the game planning to stop our run. They knew we were running the ball and couldn't stop it. I see nothing about the Chargers defense that makes me believe they will be able to stop our run when no one else has.

Of course, nothing that happened to date has any impact on what will happen Sunday. That doesn't mean we cannot look at trends to try and predict what MAY happen. We're all just passing time in anticipation of this matchup talking about what MAY happen. Enjoy.

:beer:

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

OK.....its all good. Like i said before. The Bengals got 53 yards on just two runs in which they didnt score and one was a end around and didnt do much with the rest of their carries. Stats are nice and im sure you guys will get a couple, few good runs and thats fine as long as they arent TD runs. As long as we play tough in the RZ like we have, it'll be ok.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The point is, despite everyone knowing what the Jets want to do, the Jets are still very successful with it, and the Chargers have proven little that they can stop the opposing team's running game. That doesn't always translate to points, though, and that will be what the Jets need to do to win. The Chargers' defense does not scare me.

20. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

what was the score in all those game above?

I concede we might lose the running stats battle.