Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Personally, I love this place. As far as how the other Jet fans here are acting now, I think it's very good. Perhaps not perfect, but considering not only the kind of season the team had, but also how long it's been since the Jets made it this far into the playoffs, I think the posts here and the willingness to debate SD fans on the merits are both reasonably good.

I would say that dissing SD's record and team to date, to the extent it has happened, is unfortunate. I happen to think they have a great team. Not perfect, but what team is? If other Jet fans have dissed SD, I would disagree with that, but I don't think the homerism here has not been noticeably excessive.

Reilly's posts about SD have been insightful, but I think others here have tried to talk in objective terms about the game as well. What might seem like puffing up the Jets by some here has looked to me more like answering bolt fans critiques that beg for the answers given.

Having said that, I think the Bolt fans here have on average been pretty good. If the worst case baseline is fish fans, the worst fans ever in any sport anywhere, then the Bolt fans are obviously much better.

Ftr I can't stand their owner. He's one of the biggest pricks in the country, no doubt, and I know of what I speak. I also think I wouldn't live in SD if you paid me, but that's partly because my mother in law lives out there. Heh. I Just don't care for highways that are parking lots most of the day, I suppose. Not much to the city itself, either.

But SD's football team is a very good one, no doubt. One of the best in the league. I have a good feeling about this game, but that doesn't mean shit in terms of what actually happens. If SD wins I don't think we need hang our heads in shame. Hopefully that won't happen, though.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Kurt Warner while not the best overall QB in football is probably one of the top 5 trigger men in NFL history. He will be in the HOF. He has been to the SB 3 times with teams far superior in Offensive talent to the Chargers and twice his team was stopped by big time Defensive teams.

3. Big Blocker

I also actually watched that AZ - GB game. AZ had a great offensive attack, but GB turnovers were really the key to the game. How did AZ jump out to a 14 point lead in the first quarter? Off turnovers their D got. And while it is to GB's credit that they tied it up, they never did lead the game. Yeah, the second half turned into a track meet. But laying the loss entirely on GB's D not being able to stop AZ is inaccurate. And of course in addition to those early two touchdowns off turnovers, the game ended on a offensive turnover.

I can see why someone might argue the game showed that a high powered offense could overcome a good D, but it's more complicated than that.

4. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

He also likes to hi-5 players DURING THE GAME.

Here he is hi-fiving Vince Young. Replace "(DOT)" with "." to see the link.

youtube(DOT)com/user/kennyrocks07#p/a/u/0/Z2t5ppaRy7c

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

It has over 32,000 members and a huge majority of them are Kids who dont know a thing about football and every year clamor for us to draft overrated USC players just because they are fans.
    I do go there but ive been a member since the first week of its existance and only have 2,100 posts. There are other Charger forms that are MUCH better but not as busy since they dont have as many members.

#585 Boltjolt, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. Big Blocker

THis is definitely the best Jets forum. There's one called jetsinsider. Some good posters, but most of the mods over there are meh, and some in particular are really bad.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

Just responding your your guys statement. However, it was Brees 3 INT's that contributed to his teams struggle in that Miami game. He didnt play well and maybe it was the Saints 140 rushing yards that contributed to those 33 points. Wasnt all Brees who was 22 of 38, 1 TD with 3 pics, and a lost fumble.

Saints had over 200 yards rushing againt the Bills and he had zero TD passes so if handing off the ball is leading them to points.........Just dont think credit should all go to Brees but thats me.

They had over 150 rushing yards on you and he had no TD passes but no INT's either.

Im just saying Brees worst game wasnt againts your team which is what was said.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I wanted the Chargers over the Colts for 3 reasons.

1. Rooting against New England is easy and fun.
    2. It would keep hope alive for a home AFC Championship game.
    3. I thought we could run the ball better against SD than IND.

As for point #3, the Chargers allow 4.5 yards on the ground compared to the Colts' 4.3. They also have yet to allow a 40+ yard carry, so those numbers are not skewed at all by long carries.

I feel the Jets can lineup, punch the Chargers in the mouth with their running game. It's no secret we want to line up and pound the football. Every team knows it. And San Diego is less equipped than most teams to stop it.

What every Jets fan is hoping for is that Sanchez can make enough plays to have an efficient passing game. He played very well last game against Cincinnati, and there's no reason he can't do it against you as well.

The major difference is that we need to score more against you guys. Our defense is fantastic, but our pass rush isn't as great as it could be, and if Rivers has time to hit one on one matchups with 6'4" receivers, it could be a problem defending them one on one. Rhodes has to have a big game swatting passes away and maybe making a big play.

I think the Jets match up very well to run the ball, control time of possession, and play good defense. If we can slow Sproles in the screen game and the deep passing, which we've done most of the season, we can win.

It won't be easy at all, but I like our chances. By no means are we the favorite, but we have a good shot.

9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Yes it is. Hands down.

10. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Nice thing is that our secondary is finally healthy. Revis, Shepphard, Strickland, Lowery, Coleman plus Rhodes, Leonhard and Smith gives us a lot of depth that we haven't had since week 3. Can they match up against VJ, Floyd, Gates, etc? Assuming the Chargers end up abandoning the run, I'm starting to like this matchup better and better. I can imagine a dollar package with all 8 defensive backs and the 3 d-linemen where d-backs still blitz!

We've been riding the defense's back the whole year, so I can't imagine it letting us down now.

11. BuckMelanoma

BuckMelanoma New Member

It should be a good game, but I'd suggest that you tell your fans to enjoy the beaches. The game isn't going to be very fulfilling for you.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I've been reading on other forums, people saying how the Jets have NO CHANCE.

Those people obviously have no idea what's really going on, so it's easier to ignore. This game should be a good one, with the Jets hopefully coming out on top. If Rivers is pressured, and Gates is covered (because we all know V-Jackson will be by Revis), we should be in good shape.

Me Want More Greene! I would assume that the Chargers are expecting to see Greene get a plenty amount of carries, and rightfully so, but this just means T. Jones should have just as fresh legs as Greene will coming into the game. Brad Smith needs to get the ball, hell, give it to T-Rich too.

We have options people on the offensive side of the ball. Don't think it's just Greene and Jones.

13. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

This is the biggest fallacy of the week.

50% is good odds!

Your best two players on offense right now are rookies. Keller should do some damage and we'll see whether Sanchez will have time to throw a ball that Edwards can catch.

14. BuckMelanoma

BuckMelanoma New Member

Anyone who says that either of these teams has NO CHANCE is a crap-stirring idiot.

Teams get to the playoffs because they're in the upper echelon of the league. I may be a Charger fan, but certainly not delusional. I just happen to think that we have a better balanced squad.

Proof's in the pudding. We'll see on Sunday evening who's crowing & who's moving on to the next round.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Right...you gave us such a chance just a few posts ago.

I don't see anything worthwhile as far as analysis or informed opinion in either of those posts, but at least the second one has some nice cliches and a more balanced POV.

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I just found out that I can post on TGG from my Blackberry.

Looks like I will be with you all in the game thread on Sunday after all (limited posting though). Still pumped!

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sunday's Back Page...

Jets
    Eliminate
    The
    San Diego Chargers...

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

How?

The Jets are the #1 rushing team in the league in terms of quantity, and we average 4.5 yards per carry anyway. The Chargers allow 4.5 yards per carry. If the Jets average 4.5 yards per carry, the Jets have a very good chance in this game, since they will run it 30+ times and get 150+ yards on the ground. Sanchez might screw it up, but he won't have that many chances to screw it up. Even if the Chargers and Jets both have below average games, and the Jets average 4.2 yards per carry, that's fine. The Jets did that last week and it helped score 24 points, and that was against a MUCH better run defense.

Rivers will have a number of chances to screw it up. He'll chuck it deep to his big targets, but we have some athletes in the secondary as well who might be able to make plays. I see the Jets controlling time of possession and getting good yards on the ground and winning field position that way. San Diego will need to match it, but they will take a few more risks than we do, and hopefully, we can capitalize.

19. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Hey Mini Me!

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

O rly? Champ Bailey peaked in Washington, and maybe continued that level of play for a year or two, but not into 2006.