Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

While I agree that it's become a passing league, you still need a big time defense to get it done. The last decade of superbowl winners consists of mostly top notch defenses. Even the most prolific passing offense in the history of the NFL was denied in the superbowl by a top notch defense.

Of course, the passing game was huge in many of those championships as well.

2. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

2 smashmouth teams still left sluggo. If the zebra's let us play { ie disgusting calls on revis } maybe we meet in the AFC title game at the Meadowlands.

If it doesn't happen enjoy a 100 pts scored Super Bowl.

3. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

with apologies to you guys....

By FAR, that Cardinals/Packers game was the best game of the weekend. No comparison...

4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

That game was horribly boring for a football fan.

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

No they werent. Bensons longest run the whole game was 12 yards and we pretty much shut him down. A 26 yard end around by Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson had a good run to make that ave good.

It has improved overall. Our run defense was crap after Jamal went down and it stunk for a 4 -5 week period till it started getting better. Thats after AJ signed a few DL which included trading for Travis Johnson for the DL to start plugging holes. That and the biggest reason it got better is we started playing Brandon Siler a lot and he has been great against the run and overall he has earned some starts. He and Dobbins have been good run stuffers and im not saying we are shutting teams down, but the run defense has been a lot better than it was early.

My point was when posters said you would rather play us than Indy because we cant run teh ball or stop the run, you fact is we are better than them and our run defense is actually better than their too. They are 24th but nobody mentioned that. Your all just afraid of Manning i guess but imo Rivers is a dangerous as Manning and he threw 7 less INT's too. Actually our posters think Rivers is better than Brees though most outside of us dont buy it. But Rivers has been very clutch and would have the same or better numbers if he threw as many times as Brees did. Rivers was #1 in Yard per attempt. Again, a Charger player that dont get the recognition he deserves. Especially on the East Coast.

Well i think you have a tough defense. I dont think the matchup is as good as your forum thinks it is. I worry more about getting pressure on the rookie QB than i do your rushing attack. I think Sanchez is going to have to have a good game for you to win and if we get pressure, he will make mistakes. This team is mature this time around and has playoff experience and arent believing the hype about themselves this time. I like to read to read about their focus and the goal ahead.

Yeah, seems i saw that before from a Jets fan. Did Ryan invent a different defense for the Jets? There is tape and Rivers is perhaps one of the top two or three smartest QB's in the league. He has seen many blitzes. Just hope Norv has a plan for that.
    Will be a good game but again....i think the Jets have a chance no doubt. Just think if we dont turn the balll over and do what we do, we should win but you never know what can happen. Look how bad the Patriots played last week. Then again, i didnt think they were as good a team this year. I was hoping to get them so we could send them home for a change.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying you are doomed. You could win if we dont take care of the ball. Thats just how i see it.

#565 Boltjolt, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

You must have went to Chargers.com. The worst Chargers forum on internet. But hey, you guys are pretty confident here too so its no big deal. Dont matter what we think anyways.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

Actually Miami did. A much worse rating and Buffalo also did the week before your game. They held him to a less completion % and less yards. Go figure.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

:lol: Really? Well we played Oakland as did you. We played Miami except that we actually beat them. You lost to them twice! And you got to play the Bills twice and lost to them once too.
    You also played Tampa Bay and lost to JAX so right back at ya dude. We at least SWEPT the NFC East which is supposed to be the toughest division.
    LOL...yes, we played nobody!

You can talk about how our opponents record wasnt as good as your opponents record but i think with our 13 wins we had a big hand in our opponents record not being as good.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Kansas city would have been a playoff team if they didn't run into the chargers twice a year ?

10. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Key point to the game is the Jets D-line against the O-line of the Chargers. If we can get good line play from Ellis and/or Pace we will be in good shape to make Rivers uncomfortable and hopefully knock him off his mark.

After last weeks Ravens/Pats game, you see the importance of getting to the QB early and shaking his confidence. The SB Giants also did this to Brady and the Pats.

Playing physical on the O-line will be interesting to watch as well. Impose our will in the running game to set up whatever Schottenheimer comes up with for the passing game. Finish off drives and don't leave any points on the board (Braylon).

And DON'T let the Chargers get an early big lead. Not the Jets game there.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Good post overall, but I wanted to address this part because I've seen it several times now. Prior to the Pats-Ravens game, there was a decided split on who fans wanted to see: Colts or Chargers. For the most part, the reasons fell along personal lines rather than matchup lines. We all pretty much agreed that the two teams were so similar that either one would be a better matchup than a bruising run first team/solid run defense would be. Those who chose the Colts did so largely because they wanted to justify the fact that the Colts "let" us into the postseason. Those who chose the Chargers did so to keep alive the possibility of an AFCC game at the Meadowlands. Personally? I just wanted to see the Jets live in the postseason.

In fact, those who had matchup reasons more frequently chose the Colts thanks to Manning's propensity for choking in the playoffs. Now that we ARE playing the Chargers, of course people are going to try to talk themselves into the matchup. Call it wishful thinking that we're facing off against the Chargers, call it more careful analysis of the matchup, but it's not because we want to disrespect San Diego OR because we feel your team is inferior to the Colts.

12. Marblex

Marblex New Member

I would just like to say that you are one of the fairest, most intelligent posters I have come across in a while. You have respect for our team, and make up for alot of the ridiculous crap that some Jets fans post here. You even call your fellow fans out hen they make stupid comments. Keep it up sir. And I apologise on behalf of any SD fan coming here running their mouth.

13. Marblex

Marblex New Member

What is wrong with chargers.com!?

To the original guy saying we are cocky and over-confident. Some of you guys are posting things like "If Rivers throws the ball Revis' way its first down Jets"

Alot of people on here are over confident aswell. Its just the way fans are. Both teams are hot, both are on good streaks, and both like their chances in this game. You will find arrogant and non arrogant fans on both teams. Personally I hate it when people don't take every game seriously. Any given Sunday...

14. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, calling out our fellow fans is a bit of a divisive issue here. We have a Trashtalking forum devoted to it, which is one of the bonuses to this forum. Most of us don't let people get away with being morons on here.

As far as the SD fans running their mouths, by far the worst Charger fan I know is someone I know OFF the board. It would be nigh impossible for anyone to match his idiocy.

15. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Haha, well all the same, you know how to discuss a match-up without talking about other factors unlike the people who claim 13-3 isn't impressive against the "awful schedule" we played etc. That alone gets you respect from me.

I've been calling people out on our forum all this week for their disregard for the upcoming game. I find it ridiculous what some of our fans think is going to happen, and am glad there is someone to tell their fellow fans when to zip it on here too. I'm being a bit harsh, I mean no disrespect to anyone on here, its just a bit frustrating to read what some people come up with, as I imagine it is for you when you see some of the crap SD fans post on here.

16. GTechSuperChargerFan

We can get into strength of schedule for both sides all day.

If you look at each team's non-divisional strength of schedule (and I am omitting cincy and indy because, let's be honest, you didn't play those teams real starters):

Chargers: 54%, went 10-2.

Jets: 48%, went 5-3.

The better record for the Bolts even makes the disparities more prevalent (if the Bolts had gone 8-4, the SOS would have been 56%).

So, yes, our division was pretty bad all around, although Oakland was tougher than you might think. However, the rest of our schedule was robust, and we nailed it pretty well.

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Again, It seems that you guys just twist and turn stats to somehow show how good you are.
    1- You don't need to we all know the Chargers are good.
    2- Stop Twisting the numbers.

I've pointed it out in a few threads already. It seems you guys twist stats around until they finally show up in your favor....

In non divisional minus the 2 games blah blah...lol. It sounds pretty pathetic honestly and you guys don't have to do it.

The Stats are the Stats.
    The Chargers had the 3rd easiest schedule in the NFL this year.

18. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

Since I can't start a thread yet, I'm posting the ref assignments here.

In addition, I cannot post links, so replace where it says "(DOT)" with a dot (period).

www(DOT)football-refs(DOT)com/nfl-referees-by-season/2009-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/

• Referee: 23 ? Jerome Boger
    • Umpire: Garth DeFelice
    • Head Linesman: 91 ? Jerry Bergman
    • Line Judge: 32 ? Jeff Bergman
    • Field Judge: 88 ? Scott Steenson
    • Side Judge: 73 ? Joe Larrew
    • Back Judge: 25 ? Bob Waggoner

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

:up:
    ....I think this is the guy who I can barely understand when he fuking makes a call.

#579 Royal Tee, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't care about ratings, Brees led his O to 10 pts against our D, he led his O to 33 pts against Miami and 27 against Buffalo.