Chargers Fans Take on the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ........

........ Trolls

I'd love to hear how you think the Chargers go up 21 quickly enough to try Rex's patience.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Who says the Chargers are going to be up 21?

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

No, yet that is the same assumption that most of your fellow Chargers supporters seem to be making, otherwise this scenario:

Is completely baseless.

San Diego delenda est.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why don't you provide some substance instead of making some half-assed claim of dominance. This is a message board, not a chat room. Talk real football or save that energy you are wasting on your keyboard for eating Cheetos.

5. GoChargers

GoChargers New Member

Obviously you all aren't aware of the offensive weapons the chargers have. They have been covered great all season, and still come up with the ball. Not to take anything away from Revis he's a great db, but VJ and Gates are just unstoppable. So it all comes down to the Jets continuing to run the ball while behind, I just don't see it. If you put the ball in Sanchez hands instead, he's in trouble. Only chance I see is if you guys stick with the run, but with rex I'm sure that will not happen.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Meh, making punching bags out of opposing teams' fans gives the appearance of greater solidarity among the board. I'd rather rip them to shreds in front of our morons than rip our morons to shreds in front of them.
    Example:
    1. This moron assumes that he's the first one to open an argument on this board with that sentence.
    2. He's clearly diluted enough to think that Vincent Jackson is better than Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, and Marques Colston.
    3. He's probably illiterate or he would have realized that just about every Jets fan on this board has posted this point.
    4. Lastly, he's obviously never saw a Ravens game in the past two season, nor did he pay attention to the Jets in the past couple of weeks when we did nothing but run the ball.

San Diego delenda est.

#206 CatoTheElder, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

dude. read the forums. each teams fans are aware of what the other brings to the table. save the several mouthbreathers on each side of the board (yourself included) this has been a pretty dynamic debate / discussion.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I'd be careful about assuming that the Chargers are going to be able to build a huge lead. Yes, you've played some good defenses. However, no one really stacks up with ours, especially against the pass. We've only allowed 19 TDs defensively this entire season, and only 8 through the air. The closest team to that? Baltimore, with 25 total and 17 through the air. When I see 21 point lead here and automatically running the ball from behind, I assume that you believe you'll pass your way into a huge lead early and completely control our rushing attack. It's simply unlikely.

BTW, the two comparable offenses (to your 29 passing TDs) we've played this season (I'm not counting Indy), were New Orleans (34 passing TDs) and Houston (29 passing TDs). Neither team managed a passing TD against us. I'm not suggesting you won't either, because I think you will, but it's much more likely that this game is going to be close until well into the 2nd half.

9. GTechSuperChargerFan

You see, this is why we question the Jets, despite their gaudy rushing and defensive numbers...

Once we finally figured out who we were and how we best execute, we started to play like a playoff team

You found this "identity" out against two teams who laid down on purpose and the same team reeling since their loss to us. This after you lost as huge favs against a Ryan-less Falcons team at home.

I don't doubt you have played well the last 2.5 games, but this will be the first true test since your excellent second half against the 2nd string Colts (I had you ML in that game, so thank you for that).

And I agree, our run defense is at worst average. At home, with a few weeks rest, it may even be respectable if it isn't there already. Our DL-by-committee keeps our linemen fresh and hungry. Our LBs are finally tackling and the blitzing schemes are becoming very effective. The Jets WILL get rushing yards, but, in the end, Sanchez will have to beat us. Bet on it. This will not be a re-hash of Ravens vs. Pats.

10. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

A mere mortal such as yourself could never hope to take anything away from the Great Revis as you stated. I scoff at your claim, no one is 'unstoppable' in the presence of the Great Revis! The only thing I can PROMISE you 100% beyond shadow of a doubt is that Mr. Darrelle Revis will take whomever he covers and make him completely ineffective and a non-issue. In fact, Rivers should just plan on not passing his direction at all. Just don't tell Rivers that, our defense does much better when a QB thinks his guy is still an option.

#210 greaser, Jan 12, 2010
  11. ........

........ Trolls

No, we found our identity coming off a dreadful performance against the Patriots. That was November 22nd. Following that game, we took the ball out of the QB's hands, scaled back the passing game, and committed to the run 110%. The only hiccup was that 10 - 7 last minute loss to the Falcons, and even that game was good for Sanchez. He was left home the week before against Buffalo, came back and tried to press, and finally settled in to realize that he's a cog on this team, not the centerpiece. He got it, and the team hasn't looked back.

You're right, though, this won't be Ravens vs Pats. I don't see this game being decided until well into the 2nd half, and you're in no way vulnerable to the kinds of plays that killed the Patriots on the ground.

12. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

If I'm a coach playing against the Jets, first thing I notice is Sanchez and his TD to INT ratio. I make a note to myself: we can win without taking a ton of risk, lets see about slugging it out with the Jets. We'll use a conservative run game to set up the pass and take our shots when we need em.

What's that spell? ...low scoring game.

Add to that, Sanchize turned it over 21 times (through the air, not sure about fumbles lost). Short field? Don't have to go far to score either...

Jets get tough, hold teams out of the endzone and force a field goal. Kudos to them, but lets be reminded that opposing coaches don't fear the 'explosive' passing game of the Jets. They're content with the field goal because they're going to force you to march the length of the field.

Matter of fact, late in games with a lead, they're going to be soft in the middle of the field because they want the clock to run..

So there you have it. #1 Passing defense = opposing coaches are content to be conservative. #1 run game = good runners, physical team, doing what opposing coordinators are forcing you to do. March the length of the field.

Final result: 9-7 record. Easy!

Fact of the matter was that you lucked in to playing a Bengals team that over achieved and finally collapsed under the pressure of expectation. Anyone who knows football could of seen that coming.

Jets are clearly up and coming, but their rookie QB had to be protected and the rest of the squad played very well for their coaches and executed nicely.

Jet fans have a right to be proud of what they did in their first year under Rexasorous Mouth. They have a 50% chance of winning. But the stat arguments are all academic come Sunday. Good luck wid that.

#212 B1nary Bolt Fan, Jan 12, 2010
  13. GTechSuperChargerFan

Understood. I guess we have had our identity since early october, with no hiccups in-between.

I don't want a blowout. It's boring. It doesn't help one team to blow the other out when the next game will assuredly be a tight one. I want a hard fought battle where people recognize that those were two damn good teams playing. No excuses about it being an off-day for one.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Where the hell are you getting that stat? Jets were #1 in scoring defense.

15. B1nary Bolt Fan

You're right... sorry, I was thinking of your offensive scoring stat. Doesn't really change the inference about where it came from. (fixed it)

16. ........

........ Trolls

I'm really not sure what the point is of this. It's inconsistent. Your points:

1) Teams went conservative against us. And yet, they continued to throw the ball more often than they ran it against us. How is it a bad thing to force opposing teams to a conservative gameplan?

2) Sanchez had 22 turnovers, leading to a short field, and yet the Jets were #1 in scoring defense. Again, how is the latter part a bad thing? We were in the Top 8 in field goals made against, BTW. It's not as though teams were getting some points with every turnover.

The entire post has an air of negativity or dismissal to it, and yet I don't see one thing aside from the numbers on Sanchez that we have to be upset about. As far as Sanchez, aside from his return game against the Falcons, in which his confidence was low coming INTO the game, he's only had 1 turnover in 5 games.

17. Capt. Ace Nick

I think everyone should shut the fuck up...wait for the game to finish....then gloat over who has the better team.

18. B1nary Bolt Fan

I'm trying to point out to you that a reasonable scenario for the high defensive ranking is because other teams are able to play conservatively and win because Sanchez was struggling. It factors in to how your #1 passing defense was achieved. Being #1 could just as easily be because other teams didn't need to press the issue to get the win.

Granted, that is just a part of the story. Ya still have to have a D that gets it done. But game day scenarios can add or subtract to how stats are achieved. Just visiting your board, poking holes in your arguments...

19. B1nary Bolt Fan

I don't do that. I'll either come and congratulate you on a game well played and won, or come and thank you for treating me well on your board and better luck next year. (because the Jets are going to keep getting better under Ryan)

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

This makes no sense. The Jets are #1 in points allowed.