The gameplan against Rivers and the Chargers Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Jan 12, 2010.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Rex has a tough challenge this week to come up with a scheme to slow down the Chargers offense. They really are not an effective running team at this point and their offensive line is nothing special. The issue is slowing down Rivers, he has good targerts in Jackson, Gates, Floyd etc....

The key thing is not giving up td's. Let Rivers move the ball between the 20's but keep him out of the end zone. To that end the Jets will probably play a combination of zone and man. I look for Revis on Jackson and Eric Smith on Gates. Kerry Rhodes playing his usual deep cover 1.

Rex will probably come up with some interesting 5 and 6 secondary formations to mess with Rivers. I don't expect to see a lot of blitzing since Rivers is so good at making quick reads.

What would you do if you were rex?

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Confuse the crap out of him and bring different blitz packages.

We just have to be careful, they can dump off to Sproles and neutralize the blitz if it's made obvious.

More CB blitzes should be utilized, I'd bet Rivers would not expect our best cover corner to be diving for his head.

I would not mind just sending in the front and covering with the occasional LB blitz.

3. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I'd think a lot of press coverage, with ILB blitzes right up the middle leaving all the DBs and OLBs to cover the WRs and Gates.

Revis on Jackson, Leonhard/Smith & OLB on Gates, and Sheppard/Lowery on Floyd. A lot of man coverage on the outsides with Safety help over the middle

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Strictly from a matchup perspective, I'd be pretty comfortable with the following:
    Floyd - Sheppard & Rhodes over the top
    Jackson - Revis
    Gates - Strickland
    Naanee/Davis - Lowery
    Sproles - E. Smith or Leonhard
    Tolber - Bart Scott

5. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

strickland on gates? are you kidding? not tall enough. you have to put rhodes on him and put e. smith at safety in a 3-safety nickel.

sd has the best blitz-pickup in the league. that's why they get so many long plays. good secondary play will be key. the nice thing is that the two teams that most resemble our defense (Ravens/Bengals) actually did pretty good against the Chargers. i don't think rivers will be ready for some of the really crazy blitzes that Rex will bring. it's possible to bring good pressure with just 4. hopefully, that's what we end up doing when they get into 3rd and long.

6. TWDC

TWDC New Member

If they can push rivers around and stifle their screen passes the game's over.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Damn, you're right, I forgot how tall Gates is.

OK, I'll put Braylon Edwards on Gates then. /sarcasm

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Here's a big part of the gameplan against their offense: run the ball and keep them off of the field. I do not care what these Chargers fans say about their team ratcheting up the intensity on defense, the Jets' offense has increased their game as much as the Chargers' defense, if not more. They are missing their NT and they are weak up the middle. Just keep pounding it straight down their throats and let the clock run. Even if the Jets' get stopped for a loss on a play, that's still less time for Rivers & Co. to do their damage.

I think this one will work better.

San Diego delenda est.

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think the best game plan the Jets can come with up to stop River's is simply keep him
    off the field. Chargers are 20th in run defense, giving up an average of 4.5 tds a carry. The
    Jets average 4.5 yds a carry. That spells ball ball control and low scoring game. Keep
    eating up the clock.

I don't know if there is a way to stop River's unless the Jets are going to constantly
    blitz and take chances underneath coverage. Confusion would be better put as, Ryan has the
    knack for disguising D schemes and the Chargers have yet to face a D like the Jets or Ravens, for that matter.

10. GTechSuperChargerFan

Um...no. The Ravens and Bengals couldnt stop Rivers and the passing game with the U.S. Army. In fact, the Ravens gave up more yards to him than in their past like 4 years or something like that. And that was when we were pretty bad, early in the season.

Other than a BS pick in the Bengal game in which Gates juggled a perfectly thrown ball into a defender's arms, Rivers was almost as unstoppable.

That argument being shot down, most of you are correct - getting through the Bolts excellent blitz pick-up is key. Rivers is extremely calm in the pocket, his amazing awareness is almost maddening to us fans because he will stay to the last possible second before throwing and everytime it looks like a potential sack and strip, but never happens.

11. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Ram the ball down their fucking throats.
    Knock Rivers goddamn head off all day.

win!

12. GTechSuperChargerFan

And if the Bolts can stop Greene/Jones, the jets are cooked.

Both are much easier said than done.

13. TWDC

TWDC New Member

Oh I dont disagree at all. The only difference is that the jets are the team most likely to be able to get to rivers. The chargers are not as equipped to stop our run game.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

1- with as close to zero that a run game can be (bolts), look for MULTIPLE line backer blitzes. whatever side the screen threat is on, the other side will blitz. Pace/Harris will have 5 hurries/knock downs and 1-2 sacks.

2- i believe we will play standard D in the first half. IF we are able to to man up against Rivers and his merry band of men, THEN you will see Rex taking a shot here and there in the second half. Rex will not sell out from 'play one'.

15. GreenMachine

Difference is the Jets have the #1 Pass D and the #1 Rush offense.

16. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Rivers doesn't crumble under blitz pressure. The real question should be if you have an answer for the screen game while you are blitzing because Sproles is dangerous, and Norv is one of the best in the game at dialing up screens.

17. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

IF we have strickland, the screen game won't have a chance, Strickland is great at sniffing out a screen pass.

If Strick doesn't play, it might be an issue.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

^^^ This. The big key us having the spy on Sproles. He will cause havoc if the first guy is not on him quickly.

19. sdbound

sdbound New Member

I would not be surprised to see the Chargers go straight at Revis to start out the game.

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That is likely the worst mistake they could make.

San Diego delenda est.