Chargers Fans Take on the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Ilikethechargers

Ilikethechargers New Member

ghostridergo,

Yeah man I HAVE heard a lot of those names. I watch every single game that the networks play during the season, but I just am not too familiar with the talent levels of them.

The #1 defense you guys have scares me and I keep thinking about the 2nd half of the first Denver game this season. That was bad and that's the image I keep getting in my head.

San Diego needs a superbowl. You can feel the desire in the community online and at the games. You can also feel the familiarity of dissapointment amongst older fans like my Father. I think it's interesting to note that almost 50% of the league has never won a Superbowl so I guess our situation of being on the outside looking in is not unique.

One interesting fact to note is how often the Chargers come off as being completely unselfish. In the countless articles I've read this season one tidbit is constantly mentioned; everyone wants to get a ring for LT. Motivation can be a huge factor.

2. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

I too want the LT to get a ring but not at the Jets expense. We will just make it harder for him to get that ring. lol hahaha

3. Ilikethechargers

Ilikethechargers New Member

It wouldn't be any easier with any other team. All teams are tough in the playoffs.

4. GTechSuperChargerFan

From the many posts that I have read in this forum, Jets fans are reasonably intelligent, educated about the Bolts' weapons, and still completely not cognizant of just how good Rivers and the offense is. It is the epitome of efficient.

I think you are taking our defense way too lightly. I also think many Bolts fans are ignoring the tight end aspect here - one of our achilles heels has been our inability to guard even avarage tight ends. Our defense is built not to allow long plays - and despite Cotchery and Edwards nice YPC average, you won't get the long stuff against us.

That leaves shorter intermediate routes that Keller can kill us on, and that are usually hard to get picks on as well. That will be the real test - Keller vs our LBs/DEs.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Based on what?

San Diego delenda est.

6. TWDC

TWDC New Member

Ok, your offense is good. We know this. But chargers fans almost refuse to recognize that we are the BEST pass defense in football. We HAVE played teams with as many weapons as the chargers and those teams could not score through the air. Please dont use 'Revis isn't the whole defense,' because I agree. We arent the #1 pass defense because we have revis. Were the best because we have revis and 10 other defensive players who are incredibly savvy at stopping the passing game. Ask drew Brees. You also dont want to recognize how easily we move the ball on nearly every team. Chargers fans need to pray that Rivers can put up huge numbers sunday.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Who has the #1 pass offense in the NFL?
    now
    Who shut down that #1 Pass Offense when we Played them?

8. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

:lol: Post of the day.

9. GTechSuperChargerFan

Based on Sanchez's Palmer-esque YPA, as well the fact that our defense has allowed only 3 catches above 29 yards (no more than 50 yards) the last 3 months.

Believe me, we have allowed plenty of 20 yards catches, and I think even Sanchez will get some of those. However, with those throws comes risk for picks everytime he throws. So, he will have to engineer longer, sustained, mistake-free drives.

I am a bit lazy right now, but I am pretty certain we haven't allowed any long runs in quite some time. I guess you could say we are the quintessential bend-but-not-break defense, and we are certainly opportunistic.

I think it goes without saying that if Sanchez and your RBs play TO-free fooball, you will certainly be in the game till the end. However, there is a reason you are 8 point underdogs.

10. CatoTheElder

I can see your points on the YPC but what answer do the Chargers have for the running game? They have a giant gap where their NT should be and it's facing off against one of the best interior OLines in the league. You cannot say that it is going to come down to Sanchez not having the opportunity to make the necessary plays without first proving that Sanchez making plays is going to be necessary.

San Diego delenda est.

11. B1nary Bolt Fan

Interestingly enough, Jets are second in scoring defense to the Dallas Cowboys, who we beat - in their house.

On the offensive side, Dallas is 14th in scoring average, Jets were 17th.

In terms of rushing, Jets were #1, Dallas was #7. But Dallas actually had a better YPC average at 4.8 YPC to Jets 4.5 YPC.

Passing offense? Dallas was led by a hot Romo (..lol..) and had the 6th ranked offense to your 31st.

In terms of scoring offense, the Cowboys were ranked 6th (behind the Chargers) and the Jets 31st.

So, your stat lines in terms of defensive scoring are comparable to Dallas and not quite up to snuff in offensive scoring. The Chargers went in to Dallas' house, on national television and beat em. Handily.

I think it is reasonable for Charger fans to think our team can handle the Jets at home, with our hostile crowd backing them up.

Of course, because they're showing up, the Jets have a 50% chance of winning. If you can frustrate Rivers and completely stuff the run, it could happen. But I like our chances...

Oh, and a few nuggets from a local article about the defense today:

About our pass defense?
    I'm sure the Jets are going to be competitive. But its going to take a perfect game out of your offense.

12. CatoTheElder

FYP. I'm not trying to knock the Chargers' passing game, but with the #1 passing defense, the Jets are going to get a good shot against the Chargers.

As far as the Jets' offense, they don't need to be perfect, just effective. Running the ball is going to be the key to this game and, as I mentioned before, the best way to attack the Chargers' defense.

The Jets' passing defense has to be perfect to keep them in the game. However, that pressure is diminished heavily so long as the Jets' running game does not completely blow it.

San Diego delenda est.

13. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Do any of you Jets fans wonder how on earth you were 9-7 and barely made the playoffs?

To hear some of you talk... you would think it was the Jets that were pushing for an undefeated season.

14. B1nary Bolt Fan

We'll see! I think our run defense will surprise you guys.

Go Chargers!

15. ........

........ Trolls

No, we know how we were 9 - 7. Shoddy QB play and poor sense of identity until late in the season. Once we finally figured out who we were and how we best execute, we started to play like a playoff team.

16. CatoTheElder

You're right. We should just pack it in. Come on, guys, shut the forum down. Time to go home and forget that the team we root for is playing one of the most important games of the franchise this week.

We know full well why our team is 9-7 and barely made the playoffs: we were fucking up royally in the middle of the season and got a huge break from the rest of the AFC when they were unable to earn the one win that would have knocked us out. The Jets are not fucking up anymore.

The offense is finally playing the way it should, the defense has caught fire, and Shonn Greene is coming into his own and destroying opposition with Brad Smith is adding an extra level of danger to the running game. That's where the confidence is coming from.

We know exactly what this team used to be, just do a search for the previous weeks games on this board, or just search through the first few pages. We also know what this team has become. The Jets are finally playing up to their full potential. It's extremely maddening that it took this long but at least it's here.

San Diego delenda est.

17. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Ok.

Several times, in several threads, our losses to the Ravens, Steelers, and Broncos have neen mentioned as evidence we falter against tough defenses...

Has it occured to the Jets faithful that our several losses early this season to the Ravens, Steelers, and Broncos were due in large part to significant injuries and holes on both sides of our line?

We have had to scheme, substitute, and adjust on the fly to remedy our weaknesses and have done a pretty solid job. Thankfully our starting center (and a major cog in our running game), Nick Hardwick has returned and as a team, we seem to be hot when it counts.

Perhaps... your perception of our "identity" is not completely accurate.

18. CatoTheElder

You're still missing a starting guard and nose tackle and going against a team that likes to run the ball and blitz like crazy. Does that sound familiar?
    Oh yea...

San Diego delenda est.

19. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

the difference being that those losses were at the beginning of the season... immediately following the loss of those players, before we had a chance to fully adjust to playing without them...

Is the Mark Sanchez that threw multiple picks in a game the same incarnation that is leading the team to San Diego?

hmmm...

20. GoChargers

GoChargers New Member

The run means nothing when you're behind by 21, the chargers will prefer it. And rex is not a patient man.