Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, and this is a much bigger key that what was mentioned above. We have familiarity with that style of offense, and with a back (Kevin Faulk) who is typically used in that fashion. Sproles is particularly a threat when Rivers is successful in picking up the blitz and using him as a safety valve.

Now, we're familiar with that style of offense, but it doesn't mean we haven't had trouble stopping it through the years. Whether we've finally been able to adjust to matchup issues we've had through the years will go a long way in determining our success.

Either way, I'd much rather have the short, dump style than see San Diego in quick strike fashion. The more we limit your big play ability and allow our offense to remain close in the game, the better our chances are.

2. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

I would much rather face the chargers, we match up a lot better.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Man, I'm just trying to point out we know how good of a team San Diego is. I'm just nuts. We were playing a pretty damn close game in Indy when the starters came out. The disrespect factor would have been at an all time high.

Edit: BTW, the Colts and the Chargers are very similar teams anyways.

4. Marblex

Marblex New Member

I know its not for me to say, but from a Jets fans perspective, I would have wanted the Colts. That game was a one possession game even when Manning was pulled... You know for a fact you can beat them.

Then again, your running game matches up nicely against us. Although we are 4th in rushing allowed over the last 5 games, which included one against Chris Johnson, so its not going to be a case of wiping the floor with the "20th ranked rush D" like some seem to think. That number is horribly skewed by the fact that after our first 5 games we were 32nd.

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Though you did hold CJ, the 4th Rushing Defense stems from getting ahead by 2 or 3 td's early, forcing teams to totally abandon the run.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

assuming you were ahead.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Oh, absolutely, and I think the Chargers are the better team than the Colts.

8. RIVERSALLTHEWAY09

RIVERSALLTHEWAY09 New Member

which Charger worries you the most? I know Im nervous aboutthe Jets defense. #1 in league is frixckin good.

9. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

#1 is pretty decent. I'm worried about floyd and gates.

10. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Dallas and Cincy were close games the whole way, Titans was not a close game, but they fed CJ the ball when they knew they were beaten, just to try and get him his records, and we had almost our entire 2nd string against Washington in the final week.

None of these teams had to abandon the run, our D has just improved drastically since the season start.

Having said that, I don't doubt that you will be successful running against us, your RB's are very good, but that O-line is the key. Those guys seriously know how to open holes. Best line in the NFL IMO.

11. Marblex

Marblex New Member

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that? Some Colt fans would not be happy with you ;)

12. TimryFlanster

TimryFlanster New Member

I said "similar" to west coast in that the passes are short, but the Chargers have had success in turning those short passes into long gains primarily because of Sproles' ability in space. Those dump-offs can be and have easily turned into quick strikes in that offense.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Plain and simple: Darren Sproles. The guy is a blitz killer. We have to neutralize him.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Well, I have a problem with that. I keep hearing this "4th best rush defense over the last 5 weeks" argument, so I figured I'd take a look for myself. I'm assuming you're using total yardage to make that claim. Well, a big part of why your numbers changed that way has to do with the number of attempts coming against you.

Your first 5 opponents each ran the ball at least 31 times against you, with a high of 36 carries coming against Pittsburgh. Your last 5 opponents never ran the ball more than 27 times, with a low of 21 carries coming against Cincinnati (curious for a run-first team, but unsurprising given the fact that Henry's death 3 days earlier made them want to make an impact in the passing game). If we look at YPC, your rush defense really hasn't shown signs of improvement.

First 5 games - 705 yards on 164 carries for a 4.3 YPC average.

Last 5 games - 585 yards on 119 carries for a 4.9 YPC average.

I tend to use YPC as more of a yardstick, and I'd argue that accounting for opponent, your defense has roughly remained the same. I'd expect to see the Jets pound the ball just as we did with our 41 rushing attempts against Cincinnati, and I don't expect you to be able to stop the attack.

It's funny that some teams went away from the run against you late in the season. I remember hearing an interview with Merriman early on in the season. He complained about the dwindling pass rush since "teams are just running it down our throats". Whether Rex has taken notes on that or not, it's certainly our gameplan.

15. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

First of all "Fuk" is spelled Fuck. How old are you?

Why don't you re-read your post above.

First off, I never said VJ was the "leading" anything. So stop trying to spin it into something I didn't say. If you re-read my post I said "VJ is just as good as Moss".

Second, if you also re-read my earlier posts my point was made that "more catches" doesn't equal a better WR. Based on athletic ability and big play making VJ is just as explosive as Moss. Check the highlights on youtube.

Third, It's not a "self proclaimed incredible passing offense". Anybody with half a brain who watches football knows that this is one of the most, if not the most dangerous offense in the league right now for huge passing/scoring games.

And for the record, your last sentence (in bold) makes no sense whatsoever. Do I think I'm intelligent? Yes. Do I think you can put together a half way logical valid point without making yourself look immature and down right irrational? No.

Just check with some of your fellow board members that have agreed with VJ being right there with the top receivers in the NFL with respect to talent.

Here's a little example to help you further understand my point about VJ's shared yardage with the team: Chris Chambers - Through WK 11 w/ Chargers had 9 catches for 122yds and 1 TD. He went to the Chiefs for the last 5 games as their No. 1 wide receiver (we all know they don't have much else in KC to work with) and caught 45 for 730 yds and 5 TD's. You see what happens in just 5 games when a talented WR goes somewhere where there aren't a whole lot of other options/talent?

Something tells me you are going to come back at me with some petty profanity and a bunch of random thoughts that have nothing to do with what I just wrote....

16. ........

........ Trolls

Again, see Kevin Faulk. We've had trouble with exactly what you're describing, although not nearly as much this season. Still, Faulk had some success against us in the 2nd game.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

SD gave up 116 yds a game over the last 5 games. Less than a yard better than the whole season.

Where are you getting your stats from?

Tenn had 182 and everyone else except Washington had over 108.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Absolutely...which is why I made sure I put that in my previous post......

Your confidient, which you should be but not rambling nonsense like some of the other 8 year olds with their baby blue bolt pampers

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

So now your gonna tell me how to say fuk on the internet? Seriously?

The Argument was Moss v V.Jax! Now you are totally changing the argument.
    Everything I posted was because of that argument and now your taking it out of context...Dude. Wake the fuk up already....

He is NOT better than Moss!!
    You are the only one Posting this and when it gets rebuked you go spinning off your rocker and rambling other shit.
    The argument was JAXvMOSS don't change the context ...

WOW! ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!
    You just made an ass of yourself.

#419 Royal Tee, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  20. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

In bold above...another quote that makes no sense whatsoever. I guess every NFL receiver has to pass through the "Revis Test" in order to be called an elite WR. So let me get this straight....because Revis (who has nothing to do with the "Moss/Jackson debate") shut down Moss in a game this year - that means Jackson is nowhere near his (Moss') skill level? And you are going to call me out why? WE HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YOU YET THIS YEAR....WHAT CAN YOU POSSIBLY TALK SHIT ABOUT AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME? Not only that, but can you really judge after one game? Seriously.

As another one of your "Boyz" (as you like to point out) mentioned earlier...Revis was not this good last year. He didn't shut VJ down (nor anybody else for that matter) last year in SD when we played you guys. So, I get it...you're riding the Revis horse into the sunset and anybody who remotely says anything good about their own team's players deserves a smack down?

No offense to anyone else who supports Revis because as I've said, he's got tons of talent, but Mr. Tee here is a little on the fatal attraction side. :breakdance: