Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

when the other teams score most their points off takeaways you can

2. GreenMachine

Break down those loses. Only in 1 game did the defense get beat badly. The 2nd pats game.

If you want to look at records, The Chargers have played one of the easiest schedules. The difference is, the Jets failed to put away a few teams they should have beat( Miami, Jax, Atl, Buffalo)

3. 400HZ

400HZ New Member

Well that's a risk you run when Mark Sanchez is your quarterback.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

RevisAndHarris: You are correct. I didn't think that other teams spread the ball around like SD does, but it appears the one's in this discussion do and so your logic makes sense..(if they weren't and that team was getting 80% of the balls thrown his way, then I had a point..I lost this one!)

The only thing I can say then is to watch his plays. Watch the kind of catches he makes and make a judgement based on that. Stats tell a story, but not the whole one. Not when we can watch as well. VJ isn't just going for the jump ball. He an excellent route runner, will lay out for the ball and makes the "tippy toe" catches..

Again, I don't know that he's any better or worse than Moss, Andre etc. Moss has time on his side. I think by the time VJ's done, he'll be thought of in that category though..

5. 400HZ

400HZ New Member

We didn't play one of the easiest schedules at all. We played the entire AFC North and NFC East, and the first place teams from the AFC South and AFC East. Explain how your schedule was more difficult.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

No one's saying anything against that. The difference recently, however, is that Sanchez has been much better with the ball security and the playcalling has been much better on the offensive side of the ball. If Sanchez played in those games like he's playing now, the Jets are likely an 11 or 12 game winner.

7. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

The Chargers are tied with the 29th easiest schedule in 2010 based on the 2009 regular-season results. The Chargers? 2010 opponents had a combined winning percentage of .453 in 2009. Oakland has the toughest schedule of the AFC West teams in 2010. Its 2009 opponents were a combined .500. Kansas City?s opponents had a .488 winning percentage and Denver?s opponents had a .484 winning percentage.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/8887/chargers-have-easiest-path-in-2010

8. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

i know this is a pre-season ranking but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503

9. 400HZ

400HZ New Member

Sanchez looks good when you're playing against an anemic offense and he only has to throw 15 times.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

GreenMachine: This refrain about ease of schedules is getting old. We beat playoff teams, you have too. This case of "easy" schedule does nothing to tell you about your opponent. Besides, its all about how you are playing at the end of the year.

SD deserves its position as good. So does your team. Ease of schedule is only valid when there is no other data to go on..fortunately, both sides have plenty of this "other" data..

No more of these spurious "ease of schedule" arguments..do you think ANY of the members of the Jets are taking the opponent lightly because of ease of schedule..?

Coach: "Alright ya'll take the next couple days off. The Chargers ease of schedule tells me we only need 3 of 5 days preparation to beat this team"

Both Charger and Jets fans making these arguments are calumniating the situation..

11. GreenMachine

The AFC West sucks.--Except SD

Denver played above their heads and collapsed
    KC Blows
    Oakland Blows

The AFC North
    You lost to Baltimore..The Best team in the North
    You Lost to Pitt...on the decline
    Cleveland..Really?
    And Cincy...we manhandled twice

The NFC East
    The giants suck
    The Eagles was a great win for SD
    Dallas was a good win
    Washington..really?

12. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

and heres post season http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp

13. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

match-ups, match-ups, match-ups...

The only one people seem to be talking about is Jackson vs. Revis. For the sake of this post, I will concede that Revis may in fact shut down VJ. Revis is a phenom, and it IS possible.

That said, we have Malcom Floyd, Antonio Gates, Legedu Nanee, LT, Darren Sproles, etc.

Most importantly, we have a QB that makes good decisions in the clutch, and knows how to distribute the ball, and find those mismatches.

Some Jets fans have stated Rivers wont have time to find his receivers on the long routes... If so, I'd like to remind you that Rivers to Darren Sproles has torched many a blitz. When you get burned on a few Blitzes, the defensive play calling becomes more tentative and the deep ball opens up a bit more.

And as I said in another thread... at the end of the day... playoff experience counts for something... Phillip Rivers compared to Mark Sanchez may be the most compelling mismatch of the day.

14. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

Are you aware that that chart is for next season's schedule??

15. GreenMachine

We are a running team. Houston, NE, Tennessee, Indy and Cincy have some top notch offenses.

16. 400HZ

400HZ New Member

Bucknasty that is the 2010 schedule you are looking at.

17. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

yea...which is based upon the teams and results of the 2009 season....

18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

2009 Chargers Opp win pct: 42.57%

2009 Jets Opp win pct: 52.73%

Even if you take out the Bengals and Indy games for the Jets, their opp win pct is still 49.11%.

Therefore, even ruling out games where the opponent "laid down" for the Jets, the Jets still had the harder schedule.

19. GreenMachine

Good thing they do not face each other.

The biggest mismatch is the Jets D vs the Bolts oline

20. 400HZ

400HZ New Member

OK. How many playoff teams did Cincinatti beat during the regular season who weren't resting starters? And why is it even relevent?