The Peyton Manning Effect

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BadgerOnLSD, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's had 4 games as bad as yesterday
    2005 @ Den
    2006 @ SD
    2007 SD
    2009 Bal

He was average at best in the 2006 AFCC and SB XLII

Coincidentally all of these games have taken place AFTER Charlie Weiss left.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

But in those games he found ways to make plays to win games.

It must be Charlie weis which is why he led a team to 16-0 after Charlie and why Charlie did such a great job at ND and before he got Brady.

Joe Montana had bad postseason games, it happens.

W/ that loss Brady drops to 8-1 at home in postseason, IF Manning wins Saturday he'll improve to 5-3

W/ that loss Brady was one and done in postseason for the first time, Manning has done it an astounding SIX times.

Oh and before we count sat as a W for manning realize that w/ a bye he has NEVER led his team to the W in the div rd.

3. Murrell2878

My comment had nothing to do with Peyton Manning.

Brady was rescued by the defense in the 2007 AFCC and got lucky in the 2006 AFCD game aginst the Chargers when McCree fumbled the ball on his INT return (one of the THREE Brady threw in that game)

Brady held the Patriots back in the 2006 AFCC game by continuingly settling for FGs and he held them back in SB XLII and cost them the game against DEN and BAL

But but but but Regular season doesn't matter......

4. nyjunc

I wouldn't say he was rescueed by the D in the '07 title game, I never felt like SD was winning that game at any point. I would say he got rescued by the great Troy Brown play in the '06 div rd at SD.

Brady had reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as his WRs and got NE off to a huge lead, the D clearly blew that game. I believe Caldwell had a huge drop in that game as well that would have resulted in another TD. Brady played well enough to win that one.

2007 wasn't just the regular season, they made another SUPER BOWL. Things didn't go their way in that SB but he put them up 4 w/ 2 1/2 to play. You can't ask for more than that.

5. Murrell2878

He threw 3 INTs in that game. The defense kept shutting the door when SD got into the redzone (helped by the fact that SD was without Gates and Tomlinson)

Did they win? I'm using your logic here. Did they win the game?

They averaged over 30 points per game that season and only scored 14.

6. nyjunc

SD lost gates and LT during the Indy game and still beat Indy thanks to a ceratin QB throwing 2 red zone INTs.

No they didn't win but they had no business even making a title game w/ that team but he led them there. When did peyton ever take a team to the title game that really had no business being there? the answer? never.

They underachieve din that SB against the Giants but when the game was on the line he led them 80 yds for the go ahead score in the final mins only to watch the D blow it. Do you really want me pulling up Indy's scoring average and what they put up in playoff losses? It will get alto uglier than that 1 year in 2007 for Brady and NE.

7. Murrell2878

One of which wasn't his fault. The defense gave up 28 points with Tomlinson benched and Gates and Rivers leaving early due to injury. If the Pats D gave up 28 points NE loses.

You're right that they had no business being in that AFCC game. But that's because Brady threw a costly INT only to have McCree fumble it back to them.

I'm talking about Brady and all you want to do is bring up Manning. Brady has held the Pats back ever since 2005 when Weis left.

8. nyjunc

Brady wouldn't have thrown 2 RZ INts in that spot. Brady threw a couple of INts yesterday that were tipped but he made bad decisions and they got tipped and picked. You can use the "it wasn't his fault" excuse all day but those picks were Manning's fault and they cost Indy that game.

and what did Brady do when he got that gift at SD? (hint- not the same thing Manning did w/ his multiple gifts against Pitt)

Yep, Brady has held the pats back by gettuing NE to a SB and 2 title games in 4 years since Weis left.:lol: How many SBs did Weis win w/o Brady?

9. Murrell2878

How many SBs has Brady won w/o Weis?

10. nyjunc

He made one which is one more than Weis ever made w/o Brady as an OC.

11. Murrell2878

Nice deflection. The answer to my question was he has NEVER won a SB w/o Weis. If results are all that matters he didn't get the job done. His poor play held them back in SB XLII and they barely got there to begin with because of his poor play in the AFCCG. Brady has not nearly been as successful without Weis.

12. Murrell2878

Tom Brady with Charlie Weis in the post season:

2001-2004
    190/304 62.5% 1,951 yds 11 TDs 3 INTs

Tom Brady without Charlie Weis in the post season:

2005-2009
    205/333 61.6% 2,157 yds 17 TDs 12 INTs

13. nyjunc

He held them back in SB XLII by leading them on an 80 yd TD drive to take the lead in the final minutes.

This is all a joke, right? please tell me so? If manning did what Brady did in that SB you'd be crowing how Manning led them on that drive and how the D blew it for them.

I think the team around him has deteriorated a bit, I think he's getting old. I think Weis leaving was more coincidental, if weis had a track record of grooming great QBs I'd buy that but he doesn't.

14. Murrell2878

They averaged OVER 30 points per game. His poor play got them a whopping 14! The only thing that's a joke around here is your defense of his awful performance. Same with the week before against SD. He got lucky SD's top 3 stars were all injured

And here are the excuses. The team around him has deteriorated? Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Maroney, Watson. Aren't all of these guys better than the players he was with earlier in the decade? YOU have said numerous times that they all are.

I'd just like to point out once again:

2001-2004

2005-2009

15. nyjunc

His poor play led them to the go ahead pts in the final minutes.

1999: Indy O averages 26 PPG, he leads them to 16 in home playoff loss(last TD came in garbage time)
    2000: Indy O averages 27 PPG, he leads them to 17 against one of the legendary choking defenses in Miami.
    2002: Indy's O averages 22 PPG, he leads them to ZERO points in playoff loss
    2003: Indy's O averages 28 PPG, he leads them to 14 pts in playoff loss
    2004: Indy's O averages 33 PPG, he leads them to 3 pts in playoff loss
    2005: Indy's O averages 27 PPG, he leads them 18 in playoff loss
    2007: Indy's O averages 28 PPG, he leads them to 24 pts in playoff loss(the one time it was close but of course he had the 2 critical RZ INTs)
    2008: Indy's O averages 24 PPG, hea leads them to 17 in playoff loss.

That's great, keep pointing that out then let me know which QB Weis ever had that led him to SB wins and how did he do w/ that creampuff sched at ND?

Brady made the Pats this decade.

16. Murrell2878

14 points when the team averaged well over 30 per game all year long. Yes, his POOR play.

That's nice. We are having a debate about Tom Brady though.

If Brady made the Pats this decade then why hasn't he won a Championship without Weis and a top rated defense? Do you have any other excuses?

17. nyjunc

Ok Tom Brady elevated a sinking ship of a franchise into a dynasty, Tom Brady has 3 SB rings, led 2 GW drives in SBs and has 2 SB MVP awards- is there anything else we need to know about him?

Brady doesn't ever need to win another playoff game to validate what he has done. he's not the one w/ the spotty January record. he's one of four NFL QBs w/ 3 SB titles.

Excuses are what you give to defend Manning and his poor big game record. Players are allowed to have some off games and tom has a few just like montana did and jeter does. If you want excuses just read your defense of peyton manning.

18. Murrell2878

Do you really think he deserved the one he got for SB XXXVI? That one should have gone to Ty Law for his domination of Bruce and the INT he returned for a TD.

He doesn't have any SB titles w/o Weis or a top rated defense.

You've come up with plenty of excuses for Brady in the last hour. Each contradicting things you've said in the past. Brady has had more than enough "off" games since Weis has left. Makes you wonder who really was responsible for the success they had in the early years of this decade.

19. nyjunc

I don't believe he deserved the MVP for SB XXXVI but at least he did something, peyton did nothing for his bogus MVP award in SB XLI and eli didn't deserve it the following year.

If Weis wasn't there the first half of the decade he'd still have 3 SB titles.

He won w/ a top ranked D that didn't play like a top ranked D in 2 of his runs to the SB.

I haven't contradicted anything. Brady has had 1 awful game in postseason(yesterday). Since weis left he has gone 5-4 in postseason which is still BETTER than Manning who is under .500 in postseason.

Did Brady lead his team to a SB w/ Weis? has Weis ever made a SB as an OC w/o Brady? How did weis do as a HC?

Change the names of the QBs then let me know what you think. If manning had Brady's career we'd never hear the end of it how great manning is but you have this bias against Brady for some reason. try to seperate your pats hate from reality. I despise them and Brady but i know greatness when I see it.

20. Murrell2878

Then why doesn't he have three since he left? He clearly has more talent now than he did when Weis was here.

They played well in the 2001, 2003 and 2007 runs to the SB.

Brady has had only 1 awful game in the postseason?

2005 @ Denver
    2006 @ SD
    2007 vs. SD
    2009 vs. Bal

How many SB wins does Brady have w/o Weis?

For a conversation about Brady you sure like to bring up Manning a lot.

How great has Brady been since Weis left?

2001-2004

2005-2009